Am I the only one who doesn't like how all the current lands being built each focus on 1 franchise?

ToonElectrocrash

Original Poster
I mean, look at Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land! They're being built in HWS, but they both focus on ONE movie franchise. HWS was supposed to be about all movies and their studios and filmmakers! There's a big missed opportunity for SWL and TSL to focus not just on one movie franchise, but also the movie studios that made those franchises, as well as the other franchises they made! SWL could've been George Lucas Land or Lucasfilm Land or something and also had Indiana Jones stuff and they could've ported the IJ ride from DLR (and speaking of IJ, SWL could've also been George Lucas/Steven Spielberg Land, although Spielberg has made a lot more movies with Universal)! Also, TSL could've been Pixar Land! Plus, what does Avatar Land have to do with animals? Aliens? I know I'm nitpicking, but I'm just saying that it just doesn't make sense to make a theme park area focused on one movie franchise. They could've had them focus on the studios and their filmmakers instead (although I know they definitely couldn't do that with Avatar Land (a Titanic ride? Plus, Terminator is not kid-friendly and unfortunately the rights to a Terminator theme park attraction are owned by a certain company obsessed with motion simulators), especially since that's in AK). I'm sorry if I sound like I'm ranting, I'm just sad that Disney's making these upcoming lands like this. I know the rides/lands will be good, I'm just... a little disappointed.

Last edited:

ToonElectrocrash

Original Poster
I like the idea of the "Pixar-verse", but I want SWL to just be Star wars. Doing SWL is already more than enough to handle I dont know about throwing in more to that mix. As much as I love IJ thats my just my opinion.
Yeah... now that I think about it, I don't think SW and IJ could mix well and be in the same area, sadly...

G00fyDad

I mean, look at Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land! They're being built in HWS, but they both focus on ONE movie franchise. HWS was supposed to be about all movies and their studios and filmmakers! There's a big missed opportunity for SWL and TSL to focus not just on one movie franchise, but also the movie studios that made those franchises, as well as the other franchises they made! SWL could've been George Lucas Land or Lucasfilm Land or something and also had Indiana Jones stuff and they could've ported the IJ ride from DLR (and speaking of IJ, SWL could've also been George Lucas/Steven Spielberg Land, although Spielberg has made a lot more movies with Universal)! Also, TSL could've been Pixar Land! Plus, what does Avatar Land have to do with animals? Aliens? I know I'm nitpicking, but I'm just saying that it just doesn't make sense to make a theme park area focused on one movie franchise. They could've had them focus on the studios and their filmmakers instead (although I know they definitely couldn't do that with Avatar Land (a Titanic ride? Plus, Terminator is not kid-friendly and unfortunately the rights to a Terminator theme park attraction are owned by a certain company obsessed with motion simulators), especially since that's in AK). I'm sorry if I sound like I'm ranting, I'm just sad that Disney's making these upcoming lands like this. I know the rides/lands will be good, I'm just... a little disappointed.

You're right. It was. Not any more. The park is not going to be the same park when they are finished with it so, yeah, you're probably the only one.

I'm with you. Although I expect to enjoy both Star Wars Land and Avatar, I think it's a very short sighted move to base entire lands on existing IP. Actually, I think it's short sighted to base rides on existing IP as well, but that's me. What's going on now at Disney amounts to incest, they're closing a smaller and smaller circle around what they produce, and thus the opportunities for breakthrough media to occur are reduced. It's a horse that's been beaten to death, but most enduring park properties of all time are things like The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribean and Space Mountain, things which were not based on existing IP. As a result they can then be used to create film and comic-book properties and spin creation in entirely new directions. When you only build rides and attractions based on material that already exists, where do the new ideas come from? I'm rambling, but long story short, the Parks used to be a place where new ideas could be born, now that parks are seen as an end-of-life location for ideas that already exist. I think it stinks.

JIMINYCR

I think they lost direction and focus years ago of what the park was meant to be and now just want to put in features to save it. They know SW has big fan base and drawing power. TS has been popular in DL and proven to drive in numbers. So instead of featuring a lot of variety encompassing Hollywood, they want to bring in what will be the most popular and profitable at this time. WE all kind of lose out.

ToonElectrocrash

Original Poster
I think they lost direction and focus years ago of what the park was meant to be and now just want to put in features to save it. They know SW has big fan base and drawing power. TS has been popular in DL and proven to drive in numbers. So instead of featuring a lot of variety encompassing Hollywood, they want to bring in what will be the most popular and profitable at this time. WE all kind of lose out.
It's kinda sad to see DHS end up like this.

RoysCabin

It's kinda sad to see DHS end up like this.
It's an interesting question to mull over, because I'm not typically a fan of simple IP overlays, but I don't think it's the worst fate for DHS, at the very least.

We do have to face certain realities: Disney-MGM Studios opened as a working film/TV studio, so having a lot of areas dedicated to the backlot tour, to false backdrops, to the animation tour, to various elements of film design made a lot of sense. Sadly, time went by and Disney stopped using the park for much in the way of filmmaking, so a lot of the park lost its purpose, necessitating a change.

When it comes to that matter, I can see some differing perspectives.

PRO: Islands of Adventure has seen increased success, so I get Disney wanting to ape the formula (though maybe not to the degree it's doing so now). If any park suits that, it's probably DHS, since it's a movie-themed park and can easily transition into a film franchise-centric park.

CON: some of the better post-WED era work in the parks were the parts of Disney-MGM that were not directly connected to the filmmaking areas, like Hollywood Boulevard leading up to the Great Movie Ride, or Echo Lake, or Sunset Boulevard. It would've been nice to see some of that theming expanded. And yes, I think I'd have preferred a "Pixar Land" to a Toy Story Land, seems unnecessarily limiting.

But yeah, I think if they were going to do this formula at one park (oh, how I wish it was only one), DHS was the one to do it in.

cheesecake

I'm not sure how I would feel about "Lucas-Land" or something, but I think Star Wars Land will turn out fine. Star Wars has just as much of a draw and following now as it has for nearly 40 years, and it has enough content to support an entire land. As far as Toy Story Land goes, I agree that I would like a whole Pixar land (which could easily make up half of HS with all of that material). I think this would involve a lot of time/money/effort in moving pixar attractions from their current places to this hypothetical land as well.

RoysCabin

I'm not sure how I would feel about "Lucas-Land" or something, but I think Star Wars Land will turn out fine. Star Wars has just as much of a draw and following now as it has for nearly 40 years, and it has enough content to support an entire land. As far as Toy Story Land goes, I agree that I would like a whole Pixar land (which could easily make up half of HS with all of that material). I think this would involve a lot of time/money/effort in moving pixar attractions from their current places to this hypothetical land as well.

Yeah, I could certainly see the challenge there, though it'd be very nice to overcome the whole problematic theming issue of Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor being in Tomorrowland. One can dream.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom