Am I spoiled by the Deluxe Resorts????

LdyApxr

For us, as we get older and our kids get older(and the size of the party shrinks, thank God!) it's all about convenience and location! I've been taking kids to DLR since my oldest was 6(he's 26 now) and it used to be about cost so we stayed off property(usually across the street) and drove from NorCal because it was generally myself, my son and 2 or 3 nieces and nephews, all on my dime(single working mom, sister is stingy LOL) and then I my second son came along and I got married and we still stayed off property the first time we took him(when he was 6, our oldest was 15) and that was fine too but then we stayed on property ONE TIME and that was it. Done, over, no more discussion. Convenience won out over savings, we are both in our 30's and 50's(now 40's and 60's), had extra money as a two income family and the kids are grown, the adult no longer goes with us(he will be going on our first trip to WDW next year as long as the military allows it), the youngest is 17 and retirement has kicked in for my husband. Even then, I would save every penny I had for one trip a year to stay Deluxe. Yes, I am spoiled and I admit it but no one else pays for my vacations and at 46, having worked my butt off all of my adult life, I deserve a little luxury. LOL

catmom46

Another option, try an on-property non-Disney hotel like the Waldorf Astoria or Wyndham Bonnet Creek. You can get a 2 bedroom luxury suite with living room, dining area, balcony with a great fireworks view of the parks, and you'll pay about the same as two Disney Moderate rooms, and it's about the same distance away as Caribbean Beach or Coronado.

The extra space and way more luxury than a Disney Deluxe, that will more than make up for not being able to walk to the parks - spend five bucks on an Uber to chauffuer you there and you'll be in the Future World quicker than you would if staying at the Boardwalk anyway.

Sorry, but I stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek last month and while it was nice and spacious, I wouldn't call it "way more luxury than a Disney Deluxe". My biggest complaint is that since the pools stay open until 11pm you hear kids and adults screaming and yelling until almost midnight some nights. Plus the pools were much smaller than I expected.

Est1971

I guess I just figure that if I'm going to go I might as well stay where I want... But I can't spend $1000 a night for two rooms!!! It's just not realistic. I did just put in a request for 2 studios through DVCrentals.com - Hoping to get something through them!

Is DVCrentals.com a legit site? I know it has reviews but some of those prices seem too good to be true?

SleepyPuppy

You have no idea how close to home this topic strikes. My wife and I had promised that sometime we would like to take our son, his wife and daughter to WDW. Apparently “SOMETIME” has arrived! Our granddaughter will soon be 5 and smitten with the Disney Jr. channel and all things Disney.

Grandma and Grandpa went to the Disney website and began a search when a chat screen popped up. I prefer talking to a live body whenever possible so I punched the numbers on the phone. I was soon connected with a very nice cast member. She came up with a price for a deluxe room with a view at the Polynesian that would almost be enough to purchase a gently driven, previously owned KIA. By the look on Grandma’s face I knew that “I’ll get back to you” was my only response option.

I have been retired for several years and my wife will retire in September. We have that fixed income mind set and anxiety about outliving our resources. We determined that a Value resort was our only alternative so we booked rooms at the Pop Century for April, 2016.

I then found this WDW Magic forum and assembled a lot of good information about the Disney transportation and resorts. When were much younger we stayed at the Vacation Villas and used the bus for our transportation. Most of the time it was SRO and the bus made stops everywhere, except maybe the Gooding’s grocery down the lane from the Disney Shopping Village.

I made an executive decision and determined that my knees are not good enough to tolerate long waits and time consuming bus trips around the property. I called and changed our reservations to the Polynesian. I saved a little by requesting a parking lot view.

I am a spoiled old fart but in our many past stays at resorts on the monorail loop I cherished the idea that our young son was bathed and tucked in bed while masses of humanity were still thrashing their way through crowds and traffic to get to their humble habitat. Our next trip may find us a little more financially sapped but definitely the thrill of watching our granddaughter and her mother on their first Disney experience will be priceless.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
You have no idea how close to home this topic strikes. My wife and I had promised that sometime we would like to take our son, his wife and daughter to WDW. Apparently “SOMETIME” has arrived! Our granddaughter will soon be 5 and smitten with the Disney Jr. channel and all things Disney.

Grandma and Grandpa went to the Disney website and began a search when a chat screen popped up. I prefer talking to a live body whenever possible so I punched the numbers on the phone. I was soon connected with a very nice cast member. She came up with a price for a deluxe room with a view at the Polynesian that would almost be enough to purchase a gently driven, previously owned KIA. By the look on Grandma’s face I knew that “I’ll get back to you” was my only response option.

I have been retired for several years and my wife will retire in September. We have that fixed income mind set and anxiety about outliving our resources. We determined that a Value resort was our only alternative so we booked rooms at the Pop Century for April, 2016.

I then found this WDW Magic forum and assembled a lot of good information about the Disney transportation and resorts. When were much younger we stayed at the Vacation Villas and used the bus for our transportation. Most of the time it was SRO and the bus made stops everywhere, except maybe the Gooding’s grocery down the lane from the Disney Shopping Village.

I made an executive decision and determined that my knees are not good enough to tolerate long waits and time consuming bus trips around the property. I called and changed our reservations to the Polynesian. I saved a little by requesting a parking lot view.

I am a spoiled old fart but in our many past stays at resorts on the monorail loop I cherished the idea that our young son was bathed and tucked in bed while masses of humanity were still thrashing their way through crowds and traffic to get to their humble habitat. Our next trip may find us a little more financially sapped but definitely the thrill of watching our granddaughter and her mother on their first Disney experience will be priceless.

Yes! Good for you. It really is a world of difference from those two hotels. You will have a wonderful time and will be grateful that you changed reservations even if your pockets may be lighter at the end of your trip. No worries though because you are right about all the pros that you stated... Plus how beautiful the resort is, the pool and of course its proximity to at least two parks (MK and EPCOT). Enjoy!!!

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
For amenities, sure.
If you're a business traveler type.....of course, you'll pick the Swan or Dolphin.
But as a die hard Disney World fan, the "Magic" of the Swan/Dolphin is considerably less than than the Deluxe experience, and IMO, also less than the Moderates.

Frankly, if I just wanted a high-end hotel, I probably would stay off property, there's better options for that.
But at WDW, I want the "Magic".
And Port Orleans, Coronado Springs, and the Caribbean Beach deliver that in larger amounts than Swan/Dolphin. For me at least.

As a very frequent Boardwalk Resort visitor, I often make my way over to the Swan & Dolphin to enjoy their great bars and restaurants.
But if given the opportunity, I'd never ever choose to stay there over any of the Moderates.
Not a chance.

I disagree... Taking the busses everywhere stinks if you ask me... But, I have a toddler and the stroller is a pain when using the busses.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Another option, try an on-property non-Disney hotel like the Waldorf Astoria or Wyndham Bonnet Creek. You can get a 2 bedroom luxury suite with living room, dining area, balcony with a great fireworks view of the parks, and you'll pay about the same as two Disney Moderate rooms, and it's about the same distance away as Caribbean Beach or Coronado.

The extra space and way more luxury than a Disney Deluxe, that will more than make up for not being able to walk to the parks - spend five bucks on an Uber to chauffuer you there and you'll be in the Future World quicker than you would if staying at the Boardwalk anyway.

How is the transportation to and from the parks at these places??

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Lol... you have serious issues.... Yes, you get what you pay for in life... Almost always.... D&S have no Disney theme...It is just an ugly hotel that if it stood by itself against real great hotels would fail miserable... Four Seaons vs S&D lol.... Not even close....

This is your opinion... And you're entitled to it.... I didn't really start this thread for everyone to get upset with one another over the Swan and Dolphin... It's there, it exists on Disney property, some people like it and some don't.

Let's all move on. Thanks! :)

worldfanatic

This is your opinion... And you're entitled to it.... I didn't really start this thread for everyone to get upset with one another over the Swan and Dolphin... It's there, it exists on Disney property, some people like it and some don't.

Let's all move on. Thanks! :)
I agree. I might've accidentally sparked this stupid debate by commenting that I prefer Disney Moderates to the the S&D. But I still think they're great hotels.
The comment that there ugly is ridiculous to me. I love walking over that bridge that approaches them from the Cresent lake area. Stunning!!

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I agree. I might've accidentally sparked this stupid debate by commenting that I prefer Disney Moderates to the the S&D. But I still think they're great hotels.
The comment that there ugly is ridiculous to me. I love walking over that bridge that approaches them from the Cresent lake area. Stunning!!

No worries... It's in the past lol :) :) :)

BrerJon

How is the transportation to and from the parks at these places??

There's buses every half hour to the parks, although you do have to pay a few dollars, or you can get a taxi or Ubers. Even when you include transport costs added to room costs, they still tend to be much cheaper than Disney hotels. Uber is super cheap in Orlando so if all your party has smartphones there's no reason why people can't be independent.

UofMGuy423

We faced the same problem. We stayed at the All-Stars when our kids were still babies, but then jumped up to the Wilderness Lodge and haven't looked back. As our kids have grown (DD 12, DS 10 and DS 8), we rent DVC points through a contact I have and we get 1BR villas now at either Kidani, Boardwalk or Wilderness Lodge to accommodate us. Two adjoining rooms would be way too expensive at a deluxe resort. The values and moderates are great hotels, but we prefer the amenities of the deluxes, particularly the balcony.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom