Am I spoiled by the Deluxe Resorts????

worldfanatic

I always here people talk about the "magic" of a Disney owned hotel. So let me ask you this, what exactly is it that makes a Disney owned hotel feel "magical" to you? Surely, it must be more than a picture of Mickey on a wall?

Anyway, I prefer a quality And luxurious hotel over anything else. And to claim that a moderate is even close to the SD in that regard is just silly.
Can't really put my finger on it.
But it's there.
This site is WDWMagic, so I doubt I'm alone here in my ability to absorb "Disney Magic".
I've stayed at some pretty luxurious hotels around the Planet. Including a couple in London & the South Pacific that make the Grand Floridian seem relatively affordable. But I'm not sure they produced that " Magic" I crave even as much as All Star Music or Pop Century.
Turndown service & high thread counts are nice, but for me, that indescribable "Disney Magic" trumps everything.

Bairstow

I always here people talk about the "magic" of a Disney owned hotel. So let me ask you this, what exactly is it that makes a Disney owned hotel feel "magical" to you? Surely, it must be more than a picture of Mickey on a wall?
For me I think it's the idea that the resort buildings and grounds are dedicated to portraying a place or time different than what it really is.
Old Key West, the Polynesian, Coronado, Port Orleans, both the Lodges- they all succeed at doing this.

I stayed at the Dolphin back in '04, and while it was nice, "Michael Graves" doesn't really evoke a sense of escape like antebellum Louisiana or 1890s upstate New York.

I've also stayed at the All Stars and Pop resorts, and find them appallingly ugly and thematically offensive in that they don't even attempt the formula that makes the rest of Disney's in-house resorts

ToTBellHop

Anyway, I prefer a quality And luxurious hotel over anything else. And to claim that a moderate is even close to the SD in that regard is just silly.
If you don't know, I can't tell you.

That said, for me, Dophin is better than a mod. But it doesn't compare to the theming of say the Lodges. But you usually pay more for a Disney deluxe than Swolphin. The beauty of Swolphin is that you get a wonderful hotel in an wonderful location with Disney transport. But it's the theming of Disney resorts that make the "magic". Certainly not Mickey pictures. The gaudy decorations at the values are just that--decorations. Not theming. Drives me crazy when people suggest the NEED to go to the values because they are so "kid friendly". I never complained about the mods and deluxes as a kid....

disney4life2008

I am sorry but that walk from any of the epcot and Hollywood Studios resorts is unbearable eespecially in summer heat. I see no benefit of spending time in those parks then walking to get back. And the magic kingdom resorts are worse. I read people stay at those resorts just for the monorail. That is hilarious. I am perfectly fine at all star sports.

JusticeDisney

If you don't know, I can't tell you.

That said, for me, Dophin is better than a mod. But it doesn't compare to the theming of say the Lodges. But you usually pay more for a Disney deluxe than Swolphin. The beauty of Swolphin is that you get a wonderful hotel in an wonderful location with Disney transport. But it's the theming of Disney resorts that make the "magic". Certainly not Mickey pictures. The gaudy decorations at the values are just that--decorations. Not theming. Drives me crazy when people suggest the NEED to go to the values because they are so "kid friendly". I never complained about the mods and deluxes as a kid....
Yes, you really CAN tell me. If there really is a meaningful difference between Disney owned hotels and the SD (other than theming which is in NO WAY unique to Disney), then you should be able to articulate it. If you can't explain it, maybe there isn't as much of a difference as you seem to think.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
For amenities, sure.
If you're a business traveler type.....of course, you'll pick the Swan or Dolphin.
But as a die hard Disney World fan, the "Magic" of the Swan/Dolphin is considerably less than than the Deluxe experience, and IMO, also less than the Moderates.

Frankly, if I just wanted a high-end hotel, I probably would stay off property, there's better options for that.
But at WDW, I want the "Magic".
And Port Orleans, Coronado Springs, and the Caribbean Beach deliver that in larger amounts than Swan/Dolphin. For me at least.

As a very frequent Boardwalk Resort visitor, I often make my way over to the Swan & Dolphin to enjoy their great bars and restaurants.
But if given the opportunity, I'd never ever choose to stay there over any of the Moderates.
Not a chance.

Honestly it is in the heart of the EPCOT resort and screams Disney in many ways... I posted this on another thread:
It's our first choice for many reasons:
1. The beauty of it, inside and out.
2. The cheap rates (My mom works for Starwood hotels and we stay for $89 a night before taxes and fees)
3. The pool - I read someone wrote it's boring.... Not even close to boring. It has a slide and a grotto. It is beautifully themed, not to mention the Cabanna Bar that serves some yummy food and drinks!
4. The proximity to EPCOT & HS
5. The proximity to Boardwalk
6. The 12 restaurants on site (with some of the most amazing food on Disney property)
7. The comfy beds
8. I am sure there is more, but take my word for it, it is one of the best on Disney property.

Not many other hotels on Disney have ALL of these qualitites if you ask me.

ToTBellHop

Yes, you really CAN tell me. If there really is a meaningful difference between Disney owned hotels and the SD (other than theming which is in NO WAY unique to Disney), then you should be able to articulate it. If you can't explain it, maybe there isn't as much of a difference as you seem to think.
I did articulate it.

If you step inside the lobby of the Swan and the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge and cannot see an appreciable difference that might make someone prefer to stay with Disney, then I don't know what to tell you. Enjoy your stay at WDW's Sheraton.

image.jpg

Versus
image.jpg

Are you for real?

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I did articulate it.

If you step inside the lobby of the Swan and the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge and cannot see an appreciable difference that might make someone prefer to stay with Disney, then I don't know what to tell you. Enjoy your stay at WDW's Sheraton.

View attachment 104178
Versus
View attachment 104179

Are you for real?

If Disney bought the Swan and Dolphin there wouldn't be an argument here... Just saying. Every hotel is different in their own way. I prefer the SD over the moderates.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I did articulate it.

View attachment 104178
Versus
View attachment 104179

Are you for real?

Also, that's the lobby of the Dolphin not the Swan... Just so you know :)

ToTBellHop

If Disney bought the Swan and Dolphin there wouldn't be an argument here... Just saying. Every hotel is different in their own way. I prefer the SD over the moderates.
Disney does not buy Sheratons or Westins in FL. They build their own resorts. In Cali, on the other hand, I see little appeal to anything other than Grand Californian.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I know. Thus the dolphin fish.

Yes, I don't quite understand the fish part either when the hotel is called the Dolphin... But I do love the theme and honestly and wierdly enough... the smell of the lobby. When I walk in there it makes me feel like I have begun my vacation. I know it may be hard to understand but our whole family loves the dolphin and would stay there in a heartbeat... especially now that we're not going this summer... lol

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I can und

Yes, I don't quite understand the fish part either when the hotel is called the Dolphin... But I do love the theme and honestly and wierdly enough... the smell of the lobby. When I walk in there it makes me feel like I have begun my vacation. I know it may be hard to understand but our whole family loves the dolphin and would stay there in a heartbeat... especially now that we're not going this summer... lol
It refers a to this guy, the dolphinfish (mahi mahi)
image.jpg

BrianV

Honestly it is in the heart of the EPCOT resort and screams Disney in many ways... I posted this on another thread:
It's our first choice for many reasons:
1. The beauty of it, inside and out.
2. The cheap rates (My mom works for Starwood hotels and we stay for $89 a night before taxes and fees)
3. The pool - I read someone wrote it's boring.... Not even close to boring. It has a slide and a grotto. It is beautifully themed, not to mention the Cabanna Bar that serves some yummy food and drinks!
4. The proximity to EPCOT & HS
5. The proximity to Boardwalk
6. The 12 restaurants on site (with some of the most amazing food on Disney property)
7. The comfy beds
8. I am sure there is more, but take my word for it, it is one of the best on Disney property.

Not many other hotels on Disney have ALL of these qualitites if you ask me.

We loved loved the cabana bar. Ate lunch there everyday.

If anyone thinks the walk to HS is long, then they must have a heck of a time wondering around Epcot. The walk to HS is so pleasant and rather short.

JusticeDisney

I did articulate it.

View attachment 104178
Versus
View attachment 104179

Are you for real?
Talk about a dishonest post. You post a close-up picture of the Dolphin (not the Swan, as you indicate in your post) not during the holiday season, and then compare it to a wide, far away shot of the place you prefer, all decked out for the holidays. Yeah, that's a real apples to apples comparison.

Bottom line is you are the very definition of the person who prefers a Disney owned hotel for no other reason than the fact that it is Disney owned. To prove that point, when asked what sets a Disney place apart, you came up with nothing other than "if you don't know, I can't tell you." When pressed to articulate the specific reasons why you claim a Disney place is better, you still were completely unable to do so (and simply stating that you DID articulate a reason does not mean that you actually DID).

So you enjoy staying at a Disney owned property while paying a higher rate for a standard room staring at the parking lot, while I will enjoy staying at the Dolphin paying a lower rate for a suite looking at the lake and fireworks. But hey, you get to tell everyone that Disney actually owned the place where you slept each night (on a bed vastly inferior to the award winning heavenly bed that I will be sleeping on, I might add).

JusticeDisney

Does it matter?
What matters is you got called out for making a mistake (which really isn't a big deal), but rather than admitting that you were wrong, you foolishly, and in the face of your clear post to the contrary, insisted that you knew it all along. That's all I need to know about who I am dealing with.

ladydi

We are a family of five and we usually stay deluxe. If you decide to go moderate, I would suggest CSR. Rooms are bigger and are much closer to the deluxe than POR. The bus service is adequate-nothing like walking- but doable. Main pool is fun and has a great slide. We stayed one night at POR and felt like we were on top of one another.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom