Am I being cheap?

Figment632

I never understood leaving any tip at all for a buffet? What does the waiter do that they deserve a tip? You serve yourself, and maybe they bring a drink but most of the time you get your own drink as well. Why should they get a tip at all?

ToTBellHop

I never understood leaving any tip at all for a buffet? What does the waiter do that they deserve a tip? You serve yourself, and maybe they bring a drink but most of the time you get your own drink as well. Why should they get a tip at all?
it's America...there are tip jars at fast food restaurants, now...(am I tipping them for fast service...at a fast food restaurant?).

That said, 10% at a buffet is customary. I think 20% is absurd for someone who clears away your plates and refills your drink.

scarpiapiano

Original Poster
While I'm certainly not opposed to tipping I think that there are some practical questions and some questionable practices. While tipping a percentage on the amount of the bill is customary, I think that it takes just as much effort to bring a $6.95 enchilada platter to your table as it does a $35.00 plate with lobster and/or filet mignon. So I wonder sometimes how fair the percentage "rule" really is. I suppose (and I don't know) that waiter/waitress jobs in nice restaurants are more sought after then working at Dennys or IHOP. I've never been a waiter so any seasoned pros out there - enlighten me.

DisneyChik17

I hate the in your face tipping suggestions from servers. We had a server (not in WDW) tack gratuity onto our bill for a party under 8. I asked her to take it off and she was such a snot and said "Fine, but don't forget to tip." :mad: Needless to say, I forgot. She wasn't that great of a server and after that, I was fed up.

I work at a buffet in the hotel 1 day a week and make great tips, because I provide great service. I don't expect a single person to tip me, but it's is a nice perk. You would think the way a typical server lives off of tips, they might want to work for them.

glendroid

In Japan it's considered rude to tip.

and i think tip should not only be based on service. But also food quality. After working in many resturants, servers normally tip out at the end of the night. this number that they tip out ranges from 1-5 %. the money that is tipped out is distributed among the kitchen staff as well.

i dont know if disney servers tip out at the end of the night, but i'm just saying you should also tip accordingly to the qaulity of the food.

however thats just my opinion after working in many resturarants.

mickey7879

I tip on service and what they actually have to do for you. I don't tip more just because I'm at Disney. If they pay special attention to my son to make it easier for us to eat our meal or if my son makes a big mess, I tip more. If they ignore him (he loves to say hi and bye to the servers or anyone he sees) then they get less. I also like to get refill on my drink without being asked. If they do all of that, even at a buffet, I'll tip 18-20%.

Phonedave

While I'm certainly not opposed to tipping I think that there are some practical questions and some questionable practices. While tipping a percentage on the amount of the bill is customary, I think that it takes just as much effort to bring a $6.95 enchilada platter to your table as it does a $35.00 plate with lobster and/or filet mignon. So I wonder sometimes how fair the percentage "rule" really is. I suppose (and I don't know) that waiter/waitress jobs in nice restaurants are more sought after then working at Dennys or IHOP. I've never been a waiter so any seasoned pros out there - enlighten me.

In THEORY service in a "nice" place is harder and involves more people. Not only do you have your wait staff, but you very often have a runner, who is paid and tipped out of the front of the house. You also have an expiditer, who is a back house employee, but your waiter needs to interact with him or her in order to get your tables food all fired at the same time. These people may or may have to be tipped out at the end of a shift.

Your enchilada platter can be completed and under the heat lamps for quite some time, or put in the jukebox. If you try that with a lobster, it is going to destroy it. There is a lot more timing issues with "better" food.

With more complex food a waiter should also be able to offer advice and comments about the dishes. They should be able to explain things to a patron who may not know what certain terms mean - "no, livornasse does not mean it has liver in it. No, steak au poivre (pepper steak) does not mean steak with green peppers"

Supposedly that is why you are tipping more, because the food is better (in theory) and the waiter is better (in theory). The reality may of course be different.

-dave

Disney05

I don't really have a problem tipping, but if I get a server who reminds me or suggests a tip, there's a chance they're getting nothing. I've had lousy service and the tip reflected it. And I've had outstanding service and have had no problem tipping accordingly. Just don't tell me I have to tip you.

fosse76

I'm more generous with the tip when I'm on the dining plan...especially since when I'm on the dining plan that means it was free! In New York we just double the tax...which at 8.5% comes out to 17%...more than enough. But that doesn't work everywhere...so $1 for every $6 you spend is reasonable.

Steve-B

My daughter has been working at our local Olive Garden for about 3 years, most of that time as a server and any time the family goes "out to eat" she reminds me to tip well (to her "well" is $20 minimum - I think she's crazy).
In a sit-down restaurant, I will usually tip 15%, if the food and service were acceptable. If the service was average and the food below average, the tip goes down because the server is my contact with the kitchen and a good server will make sure the food is at least correct and hot before bringing it out. If the service is well above average and the food is good, I'll tip more.
The most I have ever tipped at a buffet is $2.00 and that was for someone who brought us drink refills without being asked and checked on us frequently. I have been known to leave a 25 cent tip (so they won't think I just plain forgot) when the service in any restaurant was especially bad.
I realize that servers don't make minimum wage and they depend on tips as part of their salary, but if they get the same tip amount regardless of the service they give, there is no incentive for them to make my dining experience pleasant, maybe even enjoyable. I'd just as soon stay home, then they wouldn't get any of my money.

juscet

We always go about 10-15% at the WDW buffets. Usually at any restaurant we will tip 20% and the service was not up to par we will go down to 15%.

sublimesting

So you mostly tip 16.6%? Do you tip more if the server brings the pen wrapped in paper towel? J/K!!

:confused:

I usually tip about 17% but if someone goes above and beyond, like at a hibachi grill or at Boma where our waitress brought us a special dessert for our anniversary I give more. My standard is about 17%

EpcoTim

:confused:

I usually tip about 17% but if someone goes above and beyond, like at a hibachi grill or at Boma where our waitress brought us a special dessert for our anniversary I give more. My standard is about 17%

Gotcha, just the way you worded it had me confused.

Pooh For Presid

I have been stewing over this for 18 months but finally am going to say it. The 18% charge added to a buffet when using the tables in wonderland (formerly DDE) is a rip off. I waited tables during law school and have no problem with leaving a tip. Ten percent is adequate for a buffet. I know that tipping is a hotly contested topic on these boards, but 18% for getting my drinks and if I am lucky a refill, is theft. When Donald's Breakfastasaurus (s.p.?) still existed we had a server get our drink order return with the drinks and did not see again until we were finished with the bill. Theft I tell you.

In addition when we have used the tables in wonderland at Victoria and Alberts they automatically added 20%, has anyone else run into that. Not complaining on this topic but thought it was a standard 18%. Have always upped the tip at V&A and Flying Fish, but thought it was a "standardized tip."

Rant over, you may continue with your regularly scheduled program.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom