Am I Alone... WDW Food is BAD

OG Runner

I enjoy the Disney Food Blog, but it is not an unbiased source and rarely has anything negative to say about Disney. I woke up to that fact when they posted a rave reviews years ago about a bag of nachos and a cup of processed cheese that you can buy in the grocery store.

Do really believe any one's response to anything is unbiased? I did note that in a number of cases they provide information that can
help you make a decision. On the opposite end of the scale from your nachos review they noted in a recent video that Chef Mickey's for a number of reasons is not really worth it.

Heppenheimer

Do really believe any one's response to anything is unbiased? I did note that in a number of cases they provide information that can
help you make a decision. On the opposite end of the scale from your nachos review they noted in a recent video that Chef Mickey's for a number of reasons is not really worth it.
I've seen enough Disney Food Blog videos to know that AJ doesn't love everything at Disney World and although she rarely reviews food as truly bad, she does give plenty of unsatisfactory reviews. I've also seen enough to know that she has some peculiar tastes that I don't share, such as her admitted love of "plastic cheese", and her general preference for things sweeter and softer than I would prefer. But she's at least being consistent within her personal biases, and that does provide a useful framework for me to know what to try.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm hoping to find kosher plain orange juice at Oga's. I reserved there just to make sure to get into the Land.

Not that kosher food can't be amazing. It can! For lunch today, I just had a hot roasted portobello and herb sandwich on fresh multigrain bread topped with a perfectly fried egg and a side of flavorful salad with creamy garlic dressing. At a local cafe in my Israel city.

Sorry, but our food delivery systems are not set up across the country to supply food prepared according to various belief systems. I wouldnt expect to go into any food establishment in Haifa and be able to order pigs feet in milk gravy.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You keep referring to this one video. Meanwhile their most recent review encourages guests to try it. They are a marketing arm of WDW. It's not a bad thing, but people should know that going in.

jaklgreen

Sorry, but our food delivery systems are not set up across the country to supply food prepared according to various belief systems. I wouldnt expect to go into any food establishment in Haifa and be able to order pigs feet in milk gravy.

That's silly. They obviously can supply Kosher meals, and do. They just don't have very many options. Probably because of the low demand. It is a shame that they can not order in more options with advanced notice. Maybe supply a catalog and make it pre-pay, like the dining plan. I can imagine a long trip with the same couple of food options gets old.

Jedi Stitch

Value is subjective and varies from person to person but I’ve never had a meal at WDW that left me with a “wow, that’s the best (blank) I’ve ever had” or “wow, I’ve never had that before”.

Let’s hear it... am I alone or not?!
Well if you are talking Value Resorts, I found the food at the cafeteria style at All Star Movies to be blah, and we avoided eating there unless we had to as last resort, I guess Pun intended. Most of the Quick Service places we never fully had a decent meal. Many of the Table Service places were just fine for a meal. It does depend on where you eat and at what time.

OG Runner

Each time I have come to WDW I go to Epcot, to the Japan pavilion and get a combination meal, (beef & chicken), that years ago
was called the Shogun special. It was truly worth getting both from a price standpoint, as well as, taste. I usually get the meal after
dark and sitting outside even offers a very nice atmosphere.

CAV

LOL, there's no need for me to frantically Google anything as I was at the meals (for 2). Since you express such disbelief that meals for 2 could cost upwards of $200 in a major USA city, then giving you the restaurant names won't help you much as they'll be completely foreign to you. They aren't chains, after all.

But since you are so completely stunned by rather common upscale restaurant pricing, let's look at Disney's own Victoria & Albert. It is close to $470 for 2 people ($235 each), pre-tip / tax and without drinks ($587.50 with tip). If one adds in the wine pairings it comes close to $1,000 for 2 people, with tip. You can verify these prices yourself. V&A is hardly the only upscale restaurant in the country.
I noticed you didn't answer the question.

OG Runner

You keep referring to this one video. Meanwhile their most recent review encourages guests to try it. They are a marketing arm of WDW. It's not a bad thing, but people should know that going in.

Sorry, but they even mention, in the video I have been referring to, that they had previously "endorsed" Chef Mickey's. They noted that
not all dining experiences are going to be the same for everyone and that there are reasons such as seeing the "Fab Five" for the kids, but also noted the quality of food and the cost were not worth it. I know DFB leans more to the positive of WDW, but at the same time they
do provide some useful information.

Bpmorley

Value is subjective and varies from person to person but I’ve never had a meal at WDW that left me with a “wow, that’s the best (blank) I’ve ever had” or “wow, I’ve never had that before”.

Let’s hear it... am I alone or not?!
You're not alone. Disney's food is atrocious anymore. Overpriced and underwhelming. I just had my last meal ever on property there Saturday night. Olivia's, which I used to think was good, was horrible. Appetizers, 1 crap cake and one cup of seafood stew, both around $13 each, neither worth more than 8 anywhere else. Wife had 5 small scallops for on a little dab of polenta(?) for$27 and they weren't that good. I had the shrimp pasta, $24 that tastes exactly like the packet I get at the supermarket for $1 and then add about $3 worth of shrimp. The only thing I could say about the meal was that it was edible. So 2 average at best meals and 2 horrible blood orange margaritas comes to almost $100 and that's with the DVC discount. The value is just horrible anymore. Me and my wife both agreed, that's it. No more meals on property. Plenty of places off property that are glad to take your money and not rob you.

Last edited:

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
In boston…. This would be pretty easy at Menton… Oya…. Mistral.... 99 Park... Deuxave..

Will it be 600 at each place? No but a few of them 100%.... The others if you get a nicer bottle of wine... It would be easy...

So much of that is reliant on booze... the ultimate bill killer at any restaurant

Isramom

That's silly. They obviously can supply Kosher meals, and do. They just don't have very many options. Probably because of the low demand. It is a shame that they can not order in more options with advanced notice. Maybe supply a catalog and make it pre-pay, like the dining plan. I can imagine a long trip with the same couple of food options gets old.

Oh, I wasn't complaining about my limited options. I'm happy to have them at all. I was saying that I'm less bothered by the reported lower quality of taste since much of the regular Disney food is said on this thread to be lower quality too.

I saw what seems to be pure orange juice on Oga's menu. If they really offer it, that works for me.

jwutony16

In boston…. This would be pretty easy at Menton… Oya…. Mistral.... 99 Park... Deuxave..

Will it be 600 at each place? No but a few of them 100%.... The others if you get a nicer bottle of wine... It would be easy...
Pretty much and decent restaurant in the North End will cost that

jaklgreen

Oh, I wasn't complaining about my limited options. I'm happy to have them at all. I was saying that I'm less bothered by the reported lower quality of taste since much of the regular Disney food is said on this thread to be lower quality too.

I saw what seems to be pure orange juice on Oga's menu. If they really offer it, that works for me.

I know you were not complaining. I was quoting networkpro and his statement about how food production can't put out Kosher food. That is obviously not true. I do not eat Kosher, but I feel for those who do and have limited options at WDW. I would think that there should be enough demand for them to have some kind of a separate kitchen on property to make more Kosher options. Have a great trip.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I know you were not complaining. I was quoting networkpro and his statement about how food production can't put out Kosher food. That is obviously not true. I do not eat Kosher, but I feel for those who do and have limited options at WDW. I would think that there should be enough demand for them to have some kind of a separate kitchen on property to make more Kosher options. Have a great trip.

I didnt say cant, I implied won't until there is sufficient demand to maintain stocks of fresh hashgacha ingredients and the necessary separation of dish preparation since you cant mix and match.

PixarPerfect

My initial $200-600 meal for 2 diners comment was never intended to cause so much head scratching! Rather, I used it to show that my own $100 sit-down dining experiences at Disney were not that far off of average restaurant experiences. In other words, I wouldn't expect fine dining for the price, especially at a theme park.

In my examples, sit down meals fit the average formula: an appetizer or salad starter, entree, possibly dessert, and maybe a cocktail or glass of wine. No shots on the table or bottles of wine to ratchet up the price. Of course any meal is going to have additional tax and tip charges. For me the tip is generally 20-25%, usually at the higher end at nicer restaurants where more staff contributes to my experience and that tip has to be shared among many. There is another topic about skipping out on tips... I find that horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom