Almost 10 Years of the Empty River Country

Miketic

Original Poster
Since it closed November 2, 2001, it has been just sitting there all this time next to For Wilderness Campgrounds. It has been through abandonment, overgrown of wildlife, even the four major hurricanes of '04. Even right now, its still there just falling apart while guest still stare off the distance while they are on the boat traveling between hotels or if you go all the way back of the Mickey's Backyard BBQ area near the Marina, you can still see the Slippery Slide Falls rock structure and if you look through the fense, you can even see the upstream plunge pool.

What I think they should at least do is demolish the area and replace it with a recreational area. What's your opinion on how they should handle this "lost" park? Should Disney do something or leave it?

Also if anyone hasn't seen it, but last year, two people were able to go inside and record what is left of it. Seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4JwgmPEIDQ

thewhitequeen

I loved those slides, sad what that area has become. :( As one of the comments on the youtube video, the music still playing is really creepy. It's like the twilight zone in real life.

menamechris

I think Disney really lost something when River Country closed. I am surprised they haven't figured out a way to use that area, but I guess it doesn't cost anything to just let it sit there and rot away. I really hoped when they closed it that they were going to figure out how they could re-open it one day. I enjoy Typhoon and Blizzard Beach, but they do not have the same "Disney" feeling that RC did. I'm not expecting anything to be done with it anytime soon - well, unless it is to tear it down to put up another DVC...sigh

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I do not like the eyesore demolition costs money. Demolishing it also removes the option of classifying any building on the site as remodel. RC will remain in it's current state until Disney is ready to build on the site.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There are plans for it to be demoed soon. Try a thread search; its history and future has been discussed quite a bit.

SFMarine

It is definitely sad...i think Disney should demolish it to avoid curious eyes and trespassers. I can't believe the music is still on and the guy went to the bathroom there lol so I'm assuming there's still toilet paper? Haha crazy.

stratman50th

We went to Mickey's Backyard BBQ several years ago and I left to find a bathroom. Got turned around in the dark and saw the pool, the one with the slides that dumped out several feet from the surface of the water. (Don't know what they called it). I hadn't been to river country since about 77' so I didn't recall that pool was part of it. The interesting thing was the pool was clean and the filter was on. I thought it was one of the campground pools. I wonder why they let that go along with the rest of River Country. It's a fresh water pool and has it's own filtration system. Seems to me to be a nice slide pool for the campground patrons.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Are there still armored possums at Fort Wilderness? The first time I stayed there they were all over the place.
There is every manor of critter on WDW property. Armadillos, opossums, snakes, rabbits, raccoons, wild boar, turkey's, gators and deer can be found all over property.

ArtieJim

I'm sure all the water fountains over there are hooked up to the same water supply, they'd probably have to shut them all down just to turn off the fountains by RC. As for using the bathroom, squat or no squat, snakes don't like having things dropped or poured on their head and they can lunge. No thank you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom