Alligators in WDW?

ChipDaleandDink

re: alligators

Alligators and snakes are all over DW property. It is florida and a swampland after all. I have seen them in the canals from the buses before and I have even seen one at Coronado Springs. It is illegal to feed the gators and that is what causes them to not be affraid of people anymore. Chances are if a gator is coming up to people then it has been fed before unless it a large one (12+ feet) but even then it most likely would leave you alone. They have a right to exist just like us. Florida was theirs at one time and IMO still is. You have to respect a animal that has gone thousands of years virtually unchanged. You leave them alone they will do the same. Just to add some more cents, In that splash mountain video he didnt have to hit it. The thing was only maybe 4 ft long. Im sure they have people for this. He was just agitating it more. It probally just wanted to sun itself up on the cement walkway. If people are not smart enough to keep their hands away from a gator then they just are not smart period and shouldnt be aloud on :) Jumps off high horse....

cdunbar

That gator at splash was just a little one. When I was in High School we had one that was about 13 feet long that lived in the lake that our school backed up to. About 2 or 3 times a year in the early morning it would make a walk around the grounds. At the college I went to there was a huge workout room and it was round and had huge picture windows across the front that overlooked the lake. I can remember on several occasions being on the treadmill and the gators would come out of the lake and lay on the lawn in front of the gym and just sun bathe. These were the big ones not that baby that that cm was obviously frightend of at Splash.

If they tried to get the gators off the property, A) they would just come back and B) SWFW MD would be pounding on mickey's front door some kinda quick

Dave Disney

On Keys to the Kingdom last January our guide Rae told us that they recently found a 4.5 footer wrapped around the base of a toilet in the ladies room in Adventure Land. She said they were doing they're daily inspection in the morning before the park is open and they just removed it and took it off property. I asked her if that meant they dropped it off at Universal!:D

Buried20KLeague

On Keys to the Kingdom last January our guide Rae told us that they recently found a 4.5 footer wrapped around the base of a toilet in the ladies room in Adventure Land. She said they were doing they're daily inspection in the morning before the park is open and they just removed it and took it off property. I asked her if that meant they dropped it off at Universal!:D

That's actually true. Someone here posted the picture of it. In fact, I've got it somewhere on this computer. I just don't know where it's at. But I've seen it myself.

luckyeye13

I saw one this August that was just swimming about in the river that the Liberty Square Riverboat travels on. Then, he went ashore and crawled into the woods. It was pretty neat to actually see one, especially as it was at a distance!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

That's actually true. Someone here posted the picture of it. In fact, I've got it somewhere on this computer. I just don't know where it's at. But I've seen it myself.
I found that picture.

croc.jpg

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The snakes scare me a lot more than the gators. Then again, very few things scare me more than snakes. Fortunately, I've yet to see either one.

Anyone ever take a picture of a snake at WDW? I'm curious to see what they look like.

sweetpee_1993

There area around 40 +/- types of snakes in Florida and only 6 of them are venomous. All 6 can be found in WDW but to date I have only seen two. A cottonmouth (commonly referred to as a Water Moccasin) and a Pygmy Rattlesnake. If you see a snake and you do not know what it is it is best to leave it alone. Most snakes will run from you but rattlesnakes have been know to be territorial and all snakes will bite if they feel threatened.

Moccasins are known to be pretty aggressive, too. We have a very hilarious memorable story of my husband's cousin while at his family's deer lease in east Texas was by the creek, gun in hand, when one began chasing him. From a distance everyone heard him running, shrieking, and then shooting.

sweetpee_1993

I was just thinking of this pic. I had seen it a while back, too. (The pic, not the gator.) I suppose if you walked in a restroom and was greeted by that you'd either go in your drawers or have a difficult time talking yourself into going for the rest of the day. :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom