Alligators in WDW?

Mickey_777

Original Poster
So I was wondering, has anyone ever seen or heard of Alligators being found on Disney property? If you think about all the water (lakes, ponds, even pools etc.) in WDW...

jaques21

If i remember right someone in early July posted video of a gator in Splash Mountain with a cast member trying to scare it away. pretty cool to see.:) can someone find the link?

Mickey_777

Original Poster
Mickey...check out the thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=479795

gators are all over the place...I have seen several

Sorry about adding "another" gator thread...

If i remember right someone in early July posted video of a gator in Splash Mountain with a cast member trying to scare it away. pretty cool to see.:) can someone find the link?

Here it is...it's actually pretty frightening to think I could have been a foot or two away from an actual Alligator...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ZqrnJkQuQ

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Sorry about adding "another" gator thread...

Here it is...it's actually pretty frightening to think I could have been a foot or two away from an actual Alligator...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ZqrnJkQuQ
For the most part gators are fairly harmless. They only become a real danger when they begin to associate humans with food because of people feeding them or you are mistaken for prey. It is a fairly safe assumption that every body of fresh water in the state of Florida, natural or man made, will have at least one gator in it.

travelgip

I haven't seen a gator, but I was staying at WL and going down to the boat dock there was a HUGE snake. It was black and almost looked like a stick at first. I was walking with a family and they wanted to walk up on it. I wonder, are the snakes poisenous and if so, was it maybe a water moccosin?

rsoxguy

These things won't even stay away from the head honcho.
images

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I haven't seen a gator, but I was staying at WL and going down to the boat dock there was a HUGE snake. It was black and almost looked like a stick at first. I was walking with a family and they wanted to walk up on it. I wonder, are the snakes poisenous and if so, was it maybe a water moccosin?
There area around 40 +/- types of snakes in Florida and only 6 of them are venomous. All 6 can be found in WDW but to date I have only seen two. A cottonmouth (commonly referred to as a Water Moccasin) and a Pygmy Rattlesnake. If you see a snake and you do not know what it is it is best to leave it alone. Most snakes will run from you but rattlesnakes have been know to be territorial and all snakes will bite if they feel threatened.

I luv WDW

I have seen several gators at the various WDW golf courses, particularly the Palm and Magnolia. A playing partner told the tale of hitting his ball into a pond in front of a par 3 at the Magnolia, and being confronted by a gator when he went to try and retrieve his ball. Needless to say he left the ball!

Next trip: Nov. 29-Dec. 5, POFQ:xmas:

Mouse Man

Master Yoda:

Please keep in mind that Cotton Mouths at times are just plain angry and agitate them selves into a state where even if your out of there strike distance that they will come towards you. Please keep this in mind if you encounter one again. Also, in the wild beware if one Cotton Mouth is spotted there is bound to be another lurking.

All:

Yes there are Aligators through out the Disney Properties. Disney does wrangle them up and relocate them when they get over the 3 to 4 foot stage. Lastly on Pigmy rattle snakes, there bite can put you in the Hospital. It's best to just stay away from all snakes even if you feel you know what you are dealing with. It's better to let the Pro's handle this matter.

Eyekimore

We were staying in the DVC at Beach Club. There is a lagoon near the DVC pool. We watched the alligator daily from the bridge until one morning at 6:00am we saw some cast members capturing it for relocation. It was- IMHO HUGE! However- we came to find out that that was the baby- Mama had been caught a few days earlier.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Master Yoda:

Please keep in mind that Cotton Mouths at times are just plain angry and agitate them selves into a state where even if your out of there strike distance that they will come towards you. Please keep this in mind if you encounter one again. Also, in the wild beware if one Cotton Mouth is spotted there is bound to be another lurking.

All:

Yes there are Aligators through out the Disney Properties. Disney does wrangle them up and relocate them when they get over the 3 to 4 foot stage. Lastly on Pigmy rattle snakes, there bite can put you in the Hospital. It's best to just stay away from all snakes even if you feel you know what you are dealing with. It's better to let the Pro's handle this matter.
I live on a lake in north Florida right next to a large tract of woods so I am quite familiar with them. I see cottonmouths, rat snakes and black racers almost as much as I see birds. I also spent a good deal of youth working with all the animals at a local nature preserve so I have actually had a good bit of professional instruction on handling reptiles amongst other things. I leave them alone unless I have no other choice. I have had to relocate a few from time to time and compared to rattle snakes cotton mouths are as gentile as kittens but all snakes, venomous or not, should always be handled with extreme reverence and that is exactly what I do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom