All you need to know about 'Service Your Way' at Walt Disney World Resort hotels

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
best thing I did during Princess weekend was opt out of housekeeping. I had plenty of towels for the week and only requested extra coffee/creamer - $60 back - nice!

Qscout

One of the true joys of staying in a hotel is coming back to a freshly made bed every night after a long day. Can't imagine giving that up for $10.

Definitely, on holiday, love returning to the room and the feeling of ooh housekeeping has been. Even if we do mess the bed up again for an afternoon nap. We don't get fresh towels everyday as we try to do our bit for the environment, however, made up bed, empty bins, and a fresher room is a welcome sight everyday.

BigThunderMatt

One of the true joys of staying in a hotel is coming back to a freshly made bed every night after a long day. Can't imagine giving that up for $10.

Some people are really concerned about their stuff being gone through or moved while they're out and prefer the privacy aspect (even though your room is still getting INSPECTED every day whether you're there or not). I personally agree with you but to each their own I guess. One thing it brings to light is just how messy people can be when housekeeping isn't touching up the room every day.

jaklgreen

Some people are really concerned about their stuff being gone through or moved while they're out and prefer the privacy aspect (even though your room is still getting INSPECTED every day whether you're there or not). I personally agree with you but to each their own I guess. One thing it brings to light is just how messy people can be when housekeeping isn't touching up the room every day.

We are not messy people and other then changing out towels once or twice during our stay, we really do not need a housekeeper. We easily take what little trash and dump it on our way to the bus, and as I have said, I bring my own bedding and deal with that myself. I don't need the housekeeper coming in and rehanging towels that I have already hung up. I can see how some people like the service, but I can do without it. But I agree that there are plenty of messy people out there.

Tom P.

For me, the biggest reason not to decline housekeeping is to lessen the likelihood of a more intrusive daily room check at a less convenient time.

nickys

Premium Member
Hmm looks like you are right about that. Well they told me I would not have to pay it so I better get that sent to me in writing then. I booked in July of 2018.

We are staying at The Caribbean Beach and have 2 Pirate rooms. We have only one car for all of us. Its really not fair to impose a parking fee on guests staying at their hotels. In fact I think its down right robbery and Disney should be ashamed of themselves for doing it.

Unless you’re from the U.K. in which you will be exempt until the end of this year at least. Not sure about packages for 2020.

Jon81uk

I still don’t understand why you would justify this for only $10 a day...
We use this un-service, because we aren't that messy and there's no need. The only issue is we end up with some old towels and garbage which we just leave next to our door which seems pretty trashy. This will be the first time we get hit with the parking fee so any extra savings including tips I'll keep.

I do think this is a very odd offering by Disney especially how resort prices have gone way up above this measly $10 thing. What's next, listing hotel prices excluding the housekeeping fee??

Its becoming a standard thing at many hotels, we just came back from a trip to Australia and at least one hotel gave us the option to decline housekeeping (there was a card in the room advertising it). The Novotel hotel we were in were offering AUD$15 (about $10 US) per night to spend in the bar or restaurant if you declined housekeeping. We weren't expecting to visit the hotel bar or restaurant so didn't take advantage, but it definitely seems to be becoming a standard offer from most hotel chains.

UncleMike101

Its becoming a standard thing at many hotels, we just came back from a trip to Australia and at least one hotel gave us the option to decline housekeeping (there was a card in the room advertising it). The Novotel hotel we were in were offering AUD$15 (about $10 US) per night to spend in the bar or restaurant if you declined housekeeping. We weren't expecting to visit the hotel bar or restaurant so didn't take advantage, but it definitely seems to be becoming a standard offer from most hotel chains.
Sorry but.................
"Becoming the standard" is not a valid reason, it's a poor excuse, to squeeze more money out of guests.
The room rates at WDW are already much higher than the surrounding hotels and, knowing Disney, the price of parking lot maintenance and upkeep was factored into the room rates from the day the resorts opened.
Iger and his underlings have "performance" bonuses built into their contracts and anything that improves income benefits their wages.
It's a matter of greed, pure and simple, and will continue.

Jon81uk

"Becoming the standard" is not a valid reason, it's a poor excuse, to squeeze more money out of guests.
The room rates at WDW are already much higher than the surrounding hotels and, knowing Disney, the price of parking lot maintenance and upkeep was factored into the room rates from the day the resorts opened.
Iger and his underlings have "performance" bonuses built into their contracts and anything that improves income benefits their wages.

Parking is definitely a poor excuse to squeeze money out of guests, they didn't drop the room rate for those not using the parking, just added the fee on.

But offering $$$ to those who don't want housekeeping is now a common hotel practice that some people may now come to expect. A convention goer whose workplace is paying for their trip might have stayed at the Hilton and loved that they could pick up a cash (or loyalty points) bonus as they didn't want housekeeping. Therefore for those sort of travellers they might see Disney not offering the bonus as a bad thing.
End of the day, if you want housekeeping, do nothing, it doesn't change anything for you. If you don't want it, you get some extra cash to spend at the resort. Same at a Hilton, Novotel, Westin, or a Disney resort.

UncleMike101

Parking is definitely a poor excuse to squeeze money out of guests, they didn't drop the room rate for those not using the parking, just added the fee on.

But offering $$$ to those who don't want housekeeping is now a common hotel practice that some people may now come to expect. A convention goer whose workplace is paying for their trip might have stayed at the Hilton and loved that they could pick up a cash (or loyalty points) bonus as they didn't want housekeeping. Therefore for those sort of travellers they might see Disney not offering the bonus as a bad thing.
End of the day, if you want housekeeping, do nothing, it doesn't change anything for you. If you don't want it, you get some extra cash to spend at the resort. Same at a Hilton, Novotel, Westin, or a Disney resort.
All true....
And I'm guessing that many guests are looking at the opt out of maid service money as an offset for the parking fee.
I'm simply frustrated by the duplicity of WDW Management in offering money for foregoing a service, housekeeping, and on the other hand charging a fee to park in lots that have already had their maintenance calculated into the room rates.

Shouldigo12

I can why you would be upset about a parking fee, but I'm not understanding why you would be upset about Disney offering money to opt out of housekeeping services. Yes, they probably save some money when you choose to opt out- but considering how you're also given the opportunity to save money (either on dining, souvenirs, or sonething else) I can't really see how this is squeezing money out of guests. It's just taking choices guests already had, and adding some appeal to one of them. If anything it benefits those who were already choosing to not have housekeeping services.

UncleMike101

I can why you would be upset about a parking fee, but I'm not understanding why you would be upset about Disney offering money to opt out of housekeeping services. Yes, they probably save some money when you choose to opt out- but considering how you're also given the opportunity to save money (either on dining, souvenirs, or sonething else) I can't really see how this is squeezing money out of guests. It's just taking choices guests already had, and adding some appeal to one of them. If anything it benefits those who were already choosing to not have housekeeping services.
Perhaps I worded my post badly.
I'm not upset with the maid service opt out.
I'm upset that Disney is playing games with their Guests.
Giving the ability to opt out of housekeeping is, in and of itself, a good thing for many guests.
However charging those same tens of thousands people to park their vehicle at the resorts, which have always had the parking lot maintenance factored into the room rates, is like putting a dollar in the guests right pocket and taking two dollars from their left pocket.
It's the duplicity that I'm upset with.
The Disney Management are playing distraction games with us.
They might as well rename the place "Wallet Disney World."

Mainahman

Is there somewhere else where the dog friendly is further gone into? Our dogs are used to being crated all day while we are at work, but the option to take them with us, and be able to have the friendly face when we return from a day in the parks, and normal sleeping behaviors for them would be amazing.

Call me that person, but im interested in that for sure.

Jon81uk

Is there somewhere else where the dog friendly is further gone into? Our dogs are used to being crated all day while we are at work, but the option to take them with us, and be able to have the friendly face when we return from a day in the parks, and normal sleeping behaviors for them would be amazing.

Call me that person, but im interested in that for sure.

Here

Jon81uk

Perhaps I worded my post badly.
I'm not upset with the maid service opt out.
I'm upset that Disney is playing games with their Guests.
Giving the ability to opt out of housekeeping is, in and of itself, a good thing for many guests.
However charging those same tens of thousands people to park their vehicle at the resorts, which have always had the parking lot maintenance factored into the room rates, is like putting a dollar in the guests right pocket and taking two dollars from their left pocket.
It's the duplicity that I'm upset with.
The Disney Management are playing distraction games with us.
They might as well rename the place "Wallet Disney World."

The resort parking charges are discussed here if you want to talk about those instead of housekeeping https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/resort-parking-charges.944655/

Jiminy76

For our most recent trip this past January, we had checked in online, but had to stop by the front desk to opt out.
Thanks!!! I’ll be sure to go to the front desk before going to my room to opt out. Seems odd that they do not have this on their online check in through their website. Odds are many people do not know of this unless they are actually checking in and being asked by a CM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom