All WDW Resort Hotels non-smoking effective June 1st!

travelskip

Confirmed on the Cast Member Intranet:

New Smoke-Free Policy

All Walt Disney World® Resorts, including Disney Vacation Club Resorts, will become smoke-free on June 1, 2007. During the past five years Guest demand for smoking rooms has been declining steadily. Currently, less than 3.5 percent of Walt Disney World's 24,000 resort rooms are smoking optional.

The new policy applies to all guest rooms, patios, and balconies, and designates outdoor smoking areas at all resorts affected by the change. Smoking is currently prohibited in all lobbies, restaurants, and convention spaces. This policy will allow us to better accommodate the large numbers of Guests and Members who request non-smoking accommodations and complements our efforts to provide our Guests with the healthy living options they are requesting.

Terrible news

It's a shame really. I smoke cigars and we always look forward to a drink and a nice smoke out of the balcony at Boardwalk. I mean, come on, making the rooms smoke free isn't enough? Smokers rights are not being considered. People are so touchy about this issue. People smoked years and years ago, and I never remember hearing people complain. It seems it the new, trendy thing to do, complain about the smoke. Quite frankly, I find the fumes from the buses at the bus-stop more offensive.

The rules are getting ridiculous at WDW. You can't do this, you can't do that, you can't stand there, you can only do this if you have this, show me your room key, then your photo id, then your DVC card, your annual pass, a urine sample, a blood sample! It's awful. I want my old Disney back. I want it to be 1986!

I understand the whole indoor smoking thing....but as for the outdoors, please....I mean...your outside! I have been in line when girls start putting perfume on and guess what...I end up smelling like lilac or something. Should be ban that too? Please....people need to stop whining.

Upvote 0

Logan5

Its not so much the smoking, but the smokers have become more, and more inconsiderate...(not talking about anybody here in particular).
I dated someone who smoked a pack a day, and i never smelled, and never saw it....But that person was an exception....
I'm tired of getting burned by peoples cigarettes, and having to smell it...
im happy about this decision, but i know alot of my friends aren't....
food and wine is going to be very INTERESTING this year!!
:)

Upvote 0

loveyloo2

Woo-hoo!!

I'm so glad to hear this, too...Fresh cigarette smoke really burns my eyes and gives me a terrible headache. But STALE smoke makes me gag!! :hurl:

Upvote 0

travelskip

Original Poster
The rules are getting ridiculous at WDW. You can't do this, you can't do that, you can't stand there,

it's a little thing called safety. Disney's Wild about it. Ie. you can't stop in pre-assigned walkways during parades and fireworks.

oh, and bus fumes are terrible, which is why hybrid or clean-burning buses would be a good idea.
(or monorails everwhere... just kidding, just kidding, no flames!!)

BTW, weren't about four years old in 1986?

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

there's a little thing called safety. Ie. you can't stop in pre-assigned walkways during parades and fireworks.

oh, and bus fumes are terrible, which is why hybrid or clean-burning buses would be a good idea.
(or monorails everwhere... just kidding, just kidding, no flames!!)

I agree about the safety. It is a big deal. And for those who want the "old Disney rules" back, will you take all the lung cancer that went along with being able to wave your lit ciggarette around whereever you please? I know I don't want that in the Disney that I love.

The newer busses have much lower emmisions. The fumes out the back are no where near as bad as the older ones. You can tell they are phasing out the old busses.

Upvote 0

jamie666

Don't forget you people we are already smoking outside!!! Whats next the trees and grass don't like the smoke either. You non smokers are CRAZY!!!!:brick::brick:

Upvote 0

Wilt Dasney

We'll probably never know, but I would guess this has more to do with economics than any group's "craziness." Presumably, Disney saw the requests for non-smoking rooms growing so quickly that they predicted the demand for non-smoking rooms would soon outstrip their supply, in which case they're losing money unless every smoking room is filled every night.

Upvote 0

jamie666

I'm just like out of my mind mad about this, we are outside smoking and still people are complaining. OKay i agree about designated areas i dont mind that at all, but this is obsurd!!! I never smoke in the resort rooms or ever will, i always smoked out on the balcony and put my cig out in a cup of water, then flushed it. This is just giving smokers a more reason not to care were they smoke!!!

Upvote 0

8<:-)

I agree about the safety. It is a big deal. And for those who want the "old Disney rules" back, will you take all the lung cancer that went along with being able to wave your lit ciggarette around whereever you please? quote]

Heart Disease is the leading cause of death in smokers.

This is a very touchy subject...I remain neutral.

Upvote 0

Wilt Dasney

I'm just like out of my mind mad about this, we are outside smoking and still people are complaining. OKay i agree about designated areas i dont mind that at all, but this is obsurd!!! I never smoke in the resort rooms or ever will, i always smoked out on the balcony and put my cig out in a cup of water, then flushed it. This is just giving smokers a more reason not to care were they smoke!!!

Commendable...but it really doesn't make any difference what people are complaining about here. Disney's already made the decision. :shrug:

Personally, I think the complaints about smoking on the balconies are a bit much. It's the open air at that point. If it's getting in your room because the door's ajar, close it.

But again...it's all moot now.

Upvote 0

palmage

It's a shame really. I smoke cigars and we always look forward to a drink and a nice smoke out of the balcony at Boardwalk. I mean, come on, making the rooms smoke free isn't enough? Smokers rights are not being considered. People are so touchy about this issue. People smoked years and years ago, and I never remember hearing people complain. It seems it the new, trendy thing to do, complain about the smoke. Quite frankly, I find the fumes from the buses at the bus-stop more offensive.

The rules are getting ridiculous at WDW. You can't do this, you can't do that, you can't stand there, you can only do this if you have this, show me your room key, then your photo id, then your DVC card, your annual pass, a urine sample, a blood sample! It's awful. I want my old Disney back. I want it to be 1986!

I understand the whole indoor smoking thing....but as for the outdoors, please....I mean...your outside! I have been in line when girls start putting perfume on and guess what...I end up smelling like lilac or something. Should be ban that too? Please....people need to stop whining.

As an avid Cigar smoker I couldn't agree more.
Ban it indoors but not outdoors.
I, like you, love a good Padron on my balcony.
Second hand smoke is such bull, unless your in a really redneck dive bar where 90% are smoking, there isn't enough smoke to give a roach cancer.

Upvote 0

travelskip

Original Poster
Lets worry about all these FAT people using wheels who say "I'm handicapped". That means there taking away a need nessecity for some who really needs it.That means they are getting to cut in line, i dont hear anyone complaining about that. Be ing fat is not a handicap it pure laziness!

Obesity is recognized by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The ADA gives them equal treatment, not a front of the line pass. For most attractions they actually have to go through the regular line. For others, they are supposed to wait in a seperate area for the length of the line. If a line is less than fifteen minutes, they may be let on immediately.

During the Pressler era, they were given carte blanc to the front of lines. Enough people (especially CMs) did complain and the policy was adjusted to honor the original spirit of the ADA.

Upvote 0

boldlyreal

Being fat is not a handicap it pure laziness!

That wouldn't be a double chin under that beard would it?
If the answer is yes are you admitting to being a smoker and fat and lazy?

I am fat and lazy by my own definiton of the term, but I don't use the wheelchairs at Disney or anywhere else. I am also an ex-smoker: 6 years, 6 days, and about 13 hours, because I was just killing myself the hard way. My DH told me I just should jump off a parking garage since I didn't care if I lived or died.

I'm sorry you feel discriminated against but under civil law the only place you are guaranteed to do whatever you want is your own private property or property you have been given express permission to use per the terms of the owners leading it to you.

Also as a fellow addict, I encourage you to quit you will feel better.

T~

Upvote 0

travelskip

Original Poster
This will be my only comment not related to reasoning for policy:

Philip Morris USA believes that the public should be guided by the conclusions of public health officials regarding the health effects of secondhand smoke in deciding whether to be in places where secondhand smoke is present, or if they are smokers, when and where to smoke around others. Particular care should be exercised where children are concerned, and adults should avoid smoking around them.

We also believe that the conclusions of public health officials concerning environmental tobacco smoke are sufficient to warrant measures that regulate smoking in public places. We also believe that where smoking is permitted, the government should require the posting of warning notices that communicate public health officials' conclusions that secondhand smoke causes disease in non-smokers.

source: The Official Philip Morris Website

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom