All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Phroobar

Don't be dense. Disney-MGM opened with rides, shows, attractions etc. The WB tour is just a tour. Universal/Hollywood offers shows, rides, etc. WB is still just a tour. Still apple and oranges.
Actually it didn't. There were no shows or attractions. Just those two things day one. Sure the tour was a couple hours long. It was extremely underbuilt. Remember they were going for working studio at the time.

Rich Brownn

So then what are you fixating on? Disneyland? IF that's the case, it's not 10 miles away from Universal. It's 35 miles and at least an hour away (usually more) from USH.

Orlando this isn't.
No I was responding to the comment that basically said the studios will license anything to each other. And I pointed out, not if its in completion. Comcast isn't going to license it's IPs to a competing theme park, but they will to something non competitive (like merchandising). If it was being done today, for example, no way would Disney give Universal Marvel rights. But they might give rights to toys to be manufactured.

Rich Brownn

Actually it didn't. There were no shows or attractions. Just those two things day one. Sure the tour was a couple hours long. It was extremely underbuilt. Remember they were going for working studio at the time.
There was the show on Hollywood Blvd. The Great Movie Ride was definetly an attraction. There was the Indiana Jones stunt show. Star Tours come along a few months later (but was always planned). So I dunno who was your tour guide but if they couldn't find the ride inside the big huge Chinese theater they were pretty bad. And Disney only half-heartedly supported a studio. One of the soundstages didn't even have A/C because it was planned to be a "dummy" showcase piece.

Disney-MGM was a tiny studio with a tiny theme park. Universal Hollywood is a giant studio with a small theme park. Universal Orlando is a large theme park with a small studio.

Kirby86

I can see a future where Universal and Disney could come up with a deal to keep The Simpsons at the Universal Parks. If Disney dosen't have a plan to put The Simpsons in any of their parks they might as well collect the licensing fee from Universal. Also Universal might want to keep it since Springfield makes them money between the food and souvenirs.
However I can also see the deal concluding without an attempt of an extension and Universal will have to retheme (actually rebuild) the area

Phroobar

There was the show on Hollywood Blvd. The Great Movie Ride was definetly an attraction. There was the Indiana Jones stunt show. Star Tours come along a few months later (but was always planned). So I dunno who was your tour guide but if they couldn't find the ride inside the big huge Chinese theater they were pretty bad. And Disney only half-heartedly supported a studio. One of the soundstages didn't even have A/C because it was planned to be a "dummy" showcase piece.

Disney-MGM was a tiny studio with a tiny theme park. Universal Hollywood is a giant studio with a small theme park. Universal Orlando is a large theme park with a small studio.
Actually Star Tours and Indiana Jones weren't there day one. The attraction count was six. Studio Tour and Great Movie Ride were the two rides. The Magic of Disney Animation was a ten minute movie with Walter Cronkite & Robin Williams. It was also shown originally at DCA. The Monster Sound show with Chevy Chase & Martin short was another movie just like the Drew Cary headphone thing. Super Star Television was a green screen audience show and finally Hollywood! Hollywood! stage show. So 2 rides , 2 movies, 2 shows. Not a very good line up.

milordsloth

1665336255230.png

Early concept art for the fast and furious coaster, from screamscape.com

Phroobar

So it looks like both the Castle and Animal Actor theaters will go away. I find it interesting the pizza place across from Springfield will be remodeled. So that side of the street won't be Springfield anymore.

Rich Brownn

Actually Star Tours and Indiana Jones weren't there day one. The attraction count was six. Studio Tour and Great Movie Ride were the two rides. The Magic of Disney Animation was a ten minute movie with Walter Cronkite & Robin Williams. It was also shown originally at DCA. The Monster Sound show with Chevy Chase & Martin short was another movie just like the Drew Cary headphone thing. Super Star Television was a green screen audience show and finally Hollywood! Hollywood! stage show. So 2 rides , 2 movies, 2 shows. Not a very good line up.
There were still rides and attractions so my point stands.

Andrew25

Really wish we could see sales of merchandise for Disney and Universal by IP.

Willing to bet there's a good chance SNW merch outsells any IP inside the parks at both Disney and Uni.

mickEblu

Rumors are swirling that the Mummy at USH will be replaced with the Donkey Kong coaster. Which I happened to “armchair imagineer” a few months back on this thread. I think it would be a great fit there next to Super Nintendo land proper and Jurassic World.

Last edited:

J4546

Rumors are swirling that the Mummy at USH will be replaced with the Donkey Kong coaster. Which I happened to “armchair imagineer” a few months back on this thread. I think it would be a great fit there next to Super Nintendo lane proper and Jurassic World.
I would love for that to be true...or even better something exclusive and yoshi themed to blend into jurassic world haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom