All things Universal Studios Hollywood

D.Silentu

I understand that Universal has been wanting of a true roller coaster for a long time, but I just can't get excited about this. Rumors thus far describe something that might be right at home at Magic Mountain. That is where I go for such experiences and I expect more theming from a Disney or Universal park. I hope the initial rumors for this are old news and the experience we get is more akin to Hagrid's Motorbike Coaster in terms of detail.

mickEblu

I understand that Universal has been wanting of a true roller coaster for a long time, but I just can't get excited about this. Rumors thus far describe something that might be right at home at Magic Mountain. That is where I go for such experiences and I expect more theming from a Disney or Universal park. I hope the initial rumors for this are old news and the experience we get is more akin to Hagrid's Motorbike Coaster in terms of detail.

This was my initial internal reaction as well. Just doesn't feel like something that should be at USH. I don't like the location either. If you're riding the coaster then its great. But a steel coaster going up and down the hillside and around the escalators is kind of out of place e in this park. Granted USH could use another ride/ non screen based thrill ride but I wish it was something more akin to Hagrid's as well. Of course that would take a lot more room that they just don't have right now and they re being crafty putting a coaster on that hillside. Also hard to get excited for anything FnF themed. Although how much theming can an outdoor coaster have?

Last edited:

BubbaisSleep

I agree. At least off the top of my head this sounds something like Full-Throttle at SFMM, a lot of launches to get up and down the hill & over pathways.
But hoping to be highly wrong. I just have a hard time picturing a highly detailed ride zipping through the hillside.

choco choco

That's where they're building it? I can't believe Universal still has that big flat lot next to Citywalk, right outside the park gates and still refuses to build anything on it. Why! Oh Why are they so protective about that stretch of asphalt!

BuzzedPotatoHead89

If they’re going to take out both Animal Actors and the SFX stage for this it would be nice to have a nice tier-2 stage show to compliment WaterWorld elsewhere in the park now that Wild West Stunt show has been long gone. Maybe the How to Train your Dragon Stage show from Epic Universe, or Bourne Stuntacular from USF.

In terms of shows: The current Kung Fu Panda Show is already tired. There’s also the old Walking Dead building. I also really hope that FnF is jettisoned from the studio tour if that’s in fact the theme of this coaster.

Ryan120420

This was my initial internal reaction as well. Just doesn't feel like something that should be at USH. I don't like the location either. If you're riding the coaster then its great. But a steel coaster going up and down the hillside and around the escalators is kind of out of place e in this park. Granted USH could use another ride/ non screen based thrill ride but I wish it was something more akin to Hagrid's as well. Of course that would take a lot more room that they just don't have right now and they re being crafty putting a coaster on that hillside. Also hard to get excited for anything FnF themed. Although how much theming can an outdoor coaster have?

If they follow the Velocicoaster formula of highly themed queue, kickass coaster in moderately themed surrounding, I think USH would have a runaway hit on their hands. It would fit perfectly at USH.

Launching up/down that hillside and looping over the starwy is going to be so much fun.

If this ride does indeed loop the StarWay, then USH would finally fulfill the original concept Mummy coaster, which in it's early design looped the StarWay.

Californian Elitist

Lol. I hate FnF. But I know I’m a minority…
As do I lol, I can’t stand it.

I wish USH would tap into their other classics and stop using the same properties or other properties they don’t even own. Their film and television library is a gold mine. I also wish they would incorporate more attractions that connected with the filmmaking theme.

Disney Analyst

As do I lol, I can’t stand it.

I wish USH would tap into their other classics and stop using the same properties or other properties they don’t even own. Their film and television library is a gold mine. I also wish they would incorporate more attractions that connected with the filmmaking theme.

FnF just does not translate well to theme parks (in my opinion). There are far more immersive and exciting IPs that can translate beautifully to a physical form.

mickEblu

USH wants a real coaster badly and feel they're missing a part of the market that wants that particular kind of thrill. The theme is secondary to the desire to build a coaster that takes advantage of the unusual topography.

Will one coaster like that really change that thrill seekers perception of the park? I have my doubts but I guess it’s possible.

mickEblu

Of course not, but suits will be suits.

With this coaster, USH is still in No man’s land. Not enough attractions or quality attractions/ theming to compete with DLR and not enough thrill rides to compete with Magic Mountain.

What Universal needs to do at USH with its limited space is just go heavy on popular IP we can’t get anywhere else and make them fully fleshed out themed lands. They did that with Harry Potter and Super Nintendo land is another step in the right direction even if its another sceen ride that looks lackluster. But the park needs more of that. I guess at this point they just view USH as West Coast Islands of Adventure with the Real Studio Tram Tour.

Id love go see the DK family coaster and land come out here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom