All things Magic Mountain

SuddenStorm

They were running west coast racers at the car show today

My friend, I never thought I'd be nostalgic for Magic Mountain of all things. But I guess a year of no theme parks at all will do that to you. Once things are back up and running we gotta go.

I'm almost ready to break and am gearing up to spend $70 on Lagoon of all places just to ride a roller coaster again. And that $70 only gets you access to one real coaster- and there are people who thought Disneyland was overpriced at $100.

socalifornian

My friend, I never thought I'd be nostalgic for Magic Mountain of all things. But I guess a year of no theme parks at all will do that to you. Once things are back up and running we gotta go.

I'm almost ready to break and am gearing up to spend $70 on Lagoon of all places just to ride a roller coaster again. And that $70 only gets you access to one real coaster- and there are people who thought Disneyland was overpriced at $100.
Ah yeah. Pretty sure I saw signs finally talking about mobile ordering in the present tense too. New ride and quicker food sound like a nice way to break the year long fast

Wow that’s ridiculous haha and what?! “Lagoon A Beach” 👈 Welcome to the oc away from oc I guess

PiratesMansion

I actually was supposed to go to Lagoon last year-alas, covid meant that my trip got cancelled.

Lagoon actually interests me because it's a more vintage, classic collection of rides, although the last several rides they built have been done in house, including one they're building right now, no small feat for a family owned park.

But Lagoon is actually something of a white whale for a lot of people in the coaster enthusiast community, because of the number of coasters and its perceived remote location (at least, for people east of the Mississippi River; not sure how it's thought of on the west coast). It's the easily the most obscure park in the country that has a double digit coaster count in those circles. If the trip I was meant to take ever gets rescheduled, I can't wait to get out there.

mickEblu

I hear ya! I’m pretty sure In addition to DL, I’ll be visiting USH, Magic Mountain and Knotts this year. Something that I don’t think has happened once in my lifetime. I guess one good thing about no APs is that it kind of forces you to spend money elsewhere. Might even throw in Sea World.

Haven’t been to Knotts or Sea World in about 15 years. Magic Mountain 8 years. USH 4.5 years. Its so weird that USH is practically in my backyard and I never give a second thought. I do enjoy visiting about every 5 years when I get the itch or they have something new. There’s just not enough for the kids to do to justify going there more often than that. Then again, that’s about how often I went without kids too.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

>>Six Flags Magic Mountain knows a thing or two about high-speed roller coasters and the Valencia amusement park will waste no time when it reopens on the first day California theme parks can return to full operations after more than a year of coronavirus closures.

Magic Mountain will reopen for season passholders and members on April 1 and 2 before swinging open the gates to the general public on April 3, according to park officials.

“Six Flags Magic Mountain is the undisputed Thrill Capital of the World and we are excited to get our park open and our world-class collection of coasters running again,” Magic Mountain president Don McCoy said in a statement. “Our team is eager to return to work and entertain our guests in a safe environment, providing the much-needed fun and escape we have all missed this past year.”

Six Flags sister park Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo will follow a similar playbook — reopening for members on April 1, season passholders and members on April 2 and the general public on April 3.<<

mickEblu

Can someone help me get over this fear I’ve developed that I’ll die on one of these extreme roller coasters? At some point I started thinking that I’ll have stroke or aneurism on one of the newer more extreme ones. I think it started in my early 20s after riding Supreme Scream at Knotts. I got off and the weirdest thing happened. For the next few days when I would talk there would be a weird buzz/ clicking sound at the back of head near the top of my neck. To the far right where that bone is. It was really odd and no one has ever been able to make any sense of it. Of course, I’ve been on numerous coasters since but they seem to be getting more extreme and I am a bit of hypochondriac. If sucks because I do love thrills and I’m not scared of the rides themselves.

PostScott

I got off and the weirdest thing happened. For the next few days when I would talk there would be a weird buzz/ clicking sound at the back of head near the top of my neck. To the far right where that bone is. It was really odd and no one has ever been able to make any sense of it. Of course, I’ve been on numerous coasters since but they seem to be getting more extreme and I am a bit of hypochondriac. If sucks because I do love thrills and I’m not scared of the rides themselves.
bro... you good?😂

milordsloth

Not Magic Mountain, but I just got my reservation for Discovery Kingdom on 4/3! So excited to get back in the park. I'll save Magic Mountain for when I make the drive down to Disneyland.

mrfires

Can someone help me get over this fear I’ve developed that I’ll die on one of these extreme roller coasters? At some point I started thinking that I’ll have stroke or aneurism on one of the newer more extreme ones. I think it started in my early 20s after riding Supreme Scream at Knotts. I got off and the weirdest thing happened. For the next few days when I would talk there would be a weird buzz/ clicking sound at the back of head near the top of my neck. To the far right where that bone is. It was really odd and no one has ever been able to make any sense of it. Of course, I’ve been on numerous coasters since but they seem to be getting more extreme and I am a bit of hypochondriac. If sucks because I do love thrills and I’m not scared of the rides themselves.
Sorry. It’s flat rides for you from now on.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Did you hit your head against the head rest or shoulder restraints at all while riding?

Practical Pig

I haven't been to SFMM for a very long time, and only twice in my life, and doubt I'll ever go back. The last time I felt more punishment than pleasure on too many of the coasters. I declined a second go on Viper( because of that stroke or aneurism kind of fear) when my younger husband wanted to go again. And I'm at a high risk of stroke because of a heart issue, though I didn't know that at the time.

I do think that extreme g-force in amusement rides is a legitimate concern. My brother and sister-in-law took their family to WDW during the soft opening of Mission Space, and were selected to ride. My Sister-in-law's inner ear didn't react well and she spent about a week feeling disorientated afterwards. It seriously affected the rest of her trip. I think(?) they turned down the g-force "volume" before the public opening, and her experience may have contributed to that. At least that's how I heard it from them.

Apparently, I'm not the guy to help you get over it. Sorry man. ;)

mickEblu

I haven't been to SFMM for a very long time, and only twice in my life, and doubt I'll ever go back. The last time I felt more punishment than pleasure on too many of the coasters. I declined a second go on Viper( because of that stroke or aneurism kind of fear) when my younger husband wanted to go again. And I'm at a high risk of stroke because of a heart issue, though I didn't know that at the time.

I do think that extreme g-force in amusement rides is a legitimate concern. My brother and sister-in-law took their family to WDW during the soft opening of Mission Space, and were selected to ride. My Sister-in-law's inner ear didn't react well and she spent about a week feeling disorientated afterwards. It seriously affected the rest of her trip. I think(?) they turned down the g-force "volume" before the public opening, and her experience may have contributed to that. At least that's how I heard it from them.

Apparently, I'm not the guy to help you get over it. Sorry man. ;)

Yeah you re not helping. Lol. Yeah the G forces on these newer coasters kind of worry me. At the end of the day, if I were to leave this earth because I rode a damn roller coaster and had any consciousness in the after life I’d be so ed that I left my family behind because I had to ride the new coaster at Knotts or Magic Mountain... as irrational as that fear may be.

Ok I’m starting to feel like Ben Stiller in “Along Came Polly.” When did this happen?

Californian Elitist

Yeah you re not helping. Lol. Yeah the G forces on these newer coasters kind of worry me. At the end of the day, if I were to leave this earth because I rode a damn roller coaster and had any consciousness in the after life I’d be so ****ed that I left my family behind because I had to ride the new coaster at Knotts or Magic Mountain... as irrational as that fear may be.

Ok I’m starting to feel like Ben Stiller in “Along Came Polly.” When did this happen?
Your fear isn’t irrational at all. Many of those rides look terrifying.

If you do want to try some of them, start with the less taller/loopy/crazy effects ones and work your way up. Batman is a good example. There are a few loops, but they’re not tall, the ride is not super fast, and you don’t feel like your life is flashing before your eyes.

PiratesMansion

Yeah you re not helping. Lol. Yeah the G forces on these newer coasters kind of worry me. At the end of the day, if I were to leave this earth because I rode a damn roller coaster and had any consciousness in the after life I’d be so ****ed that I left my family behind because I had to ride the new coaster at Knotts or Magic Mountain... as irrational as that fear may be.

While it's true that newer coasters can tend towards the more "extreme" side of the spectrum, it's not just newer coasters either that tend to be higher in g-forces. One of the coasters that pulls more g's than most others is actually a looping coaster in Canada from the 80s.

Just keep in mind that you are much more likely to die on a freeway or in a car accident than on a roller coaster, and statistically you are more likely to injure yourself on something smaller and slower like a carousel than a roller coaster. It's very much psychological-that's part of the reason that the Peoplemover of all things had more injuries and deaths associated with it than many of the more intense attractions at DL. That's why when there is an injury or accident it makes headlines-much like airplanes-because it's so rare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom