All things Knotts Berry Farm

Phroobar

Original Poster
New diver footage of the old Knotts Berry Farm site since global warming drown most of Orange county. Looks like that accidental dumping of nanomites have really affected the fish.

iron-reef-1.jpg

jmuboy

New diver footage of the old Knotts Berry Farm site since global warming drown most of Orange county. Looks like that accidental dumping of nanomites have really affected the fish.

iron-reef-1.jpg
I’m glad Iron Reef was the whiz bang ride that got this tech into the park. But glad we got to say goodbye to it quickly in favor of Berry Tales 2.0

Darkbeer1

Cedar Fair Expands Its Suite of Mobile Apps to Promote a Healthy, Smart and Fun-Filled Guest Experience When Parks Reopen

SANDUSKY, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 28, 2020--

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN), a leader in regional amusement parks, water parks and immersive entertainment, is adding new technology and leveraging its existing mobile app capabilities to enable a safe and efficient park reopening experience for its guests and associates.

Cedar Fair CEO Richard Zimmerman said, “The safety of our guests and associates has always been, and will always be, our highest priority. I’m pleased that our internal health and safety experts, as well as state and local government officials, have informed the development and implementation of these technology enhancements which, when combined with our other in-park safety procedures being implemented, should help renew the public’s confidence when visiting our parks. Our more robust suite of mobile technologies not only strengthens the safety measures recommended by health officials, but also offers exciting, guest-friendly alternatives that could very well enhance the overall guest experience for the long term,” said Zimmerman.

The company will implement several technology enhancements focused on key aspects throughout the guest visit, from planning and preparing for an outing at the park, to leaving for the day. Changes will allow the parks to open with capacity limitations and processes in compliance with state and local health guidelines, while enhancing the guest experience overall. Key aspects include:

Planning and preparation –

• Guests can make their required reservations online or through the mobile app, reserving a specific day and time to visit the park based upon capacity availability. The guest will receive a time-bound entry voucher, which will automatically appear in the guest’s mobile app when they are logged in.
  • Guests who have purchased a season pass will be able to process their passes through the website or mobile app, rather than visiting the pass processing center within the park.
  • Park mobile apps and websites will be enhanced with thorough information to prepare guests for changes they will see at the parks.
Arrival and entry –

• Upon arrival, the guest’s reservation will be confirmed and their ticket / season pass scanned.
  • All guests entering the parks will be required to complete an initial health check; guests with the park’s mobile app can complete most aspects of the health questionnaire online prior to visiting.
  • Targeted messages delivered through the mobile app will remind guests of new processes and procedures; in addition, the app will provide real time alerts regarding any capacity constraints that may affect their visit.
Enjoying the park –

• Enhanced cashless payment methods are being introduced to reduce touchpoints and expenses, as well as improve efficiency and throughput.
  • Mobile food ordering is being expanded to at least four parks in 2020 to improve guest service and eliminate long lines at selected food locations.
  • The mobile app’s mapping and wayfinding modules, which already allow guests to easily find things like restrooms and phone charging stations, are being leveraged to monitor potential overcrowding in various areas of the park throughout the day; this will help determine where to deploy crowd control measures and enable appropriate social distancing. These modules will also direct guests to the closest hand sanitizing stations.
Exiting the park –

• Enhanced guest surveys will provide the park with firsthand feedback about their visit and the updated protocols and processes for continuous improvement.
  • Location services on the mobile app will be able to help manage guest flow and maximize park capacity without sacrificing safety.
Cedar Fair continues its work with state and local authorities and will advise the public on definitive park opening dates as they become known.

cmwade77

I wonder if Knott's will be one of the four parks for mobile ordering, that would be very nice, some of those food lines get longer than for the rides themselves.

Darkbeer1

Well, if you are looking at the big money makers.

Canada's Wonderland

Cedar Point

Kings Island

Carowinds

Knott's

But if the tech folks are in Ohio, Knott's might not be on this years list.

cmwade77

Well, if you are looking at the big money makers.

Canada's Wonderland

Cedar Point

Kings Island

Carowinds

Knott's

But if the tech folks are in Ohio, Knott's might not be on this years list.
I'm hoping Knott's management will push for it, it seems to me that they are a bit on the proactive side.

Darkbeer1

>>Knott’s Berry Farm could feel very different with required advance reservations, reduced capacity, COVID-19 health surveys, mobile food ordering and possibly even a virtual queue system when the Buena Park theme park reopens following an extended coronavirus closure.

Knott’s has implemented a number of technological updates and is exploring others to address new COVID-19 health and safety protocols that will be put in place when the park reopens.

Knott’s Berry Farm is actively evaluating a virtual queue management system that would help reduce wait times and shorten lines for rides and attractions, park officials said.

Knott’s remains closed amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Knott’s and other California theme parks can reopen during Stage 3 of Gov. Gavin Newsom’s four-stage road map for reopening California’s economy. A reopening date has not been announced for Knott’s.

App-based virtual queue management systems allow visitors to explore other theme park attractions, restaurants and shops while waiting for an individual ride without having to stand in a long line. Disneyland used a virtual queue system to manage crowds for the new Rise of the Resistance dark ride in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge before the Anaheim theme park closed amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

A virtual queue system adopted by Knott’s, the only year-round Cedar Fair park, could serve as a model for other locations in the chain.

In addition to Knott’s, Cedar Fair owns California’s Great America in Santa Clara, Cedar Point and Kings Island in Ohio, Kings Dominion in Virginia, Canada’s Wonderland outside Toronto and Carowinds on the Carolina border.

Cedar Fair is actively working on the potential introduction of virtual queuing, Cedar Fair CEO Richard Zimmerman said on a call with analysts in early May.

“We are also actively working on enhancements and expanded use of technology platforms, including our park mobile apps, in order to improve the guest experience going forward,” Zimmerman said on a call.

Knott’s also plans to update the park’s mobile app with new functionality geared toward the “new normal” of the COVID-19 era.

Once the park reopens, Knott’s visitors will use the updated mobile app to:

• Make required advance reservations for a specific date and time
  • Present their timed entry voucher at the park entrance
  • Complete a required pre-arrival COVID-19 health survey
  • Process season passes without visiting the pass processing center
  • Place mobile food orders
  • Make cashless digital payments at shops and restaurants
  • Find the closest hand sanitizing station using the app’s map
  • Receive health and safety reminders
The updated mobile app will allow Knott’s Berry Farm to monitor overcrowding and maximize park capacity once attendance caps are put in place when the park reopens, according to Cedar Fair. Knott’s plans to use the updated mobile app to manage crowd flow and deploy crowd control measures in order to maintain social distancing and promote health and safety protocols.

Location-based services built into the mobile app will allow Knott’s to “maximize park capacity without sacrificing safety” once the park reopens with attendance caps in compliance with state and local health guidelines, according to Cedar Fair.<<

cmwade77

The more hoops theme parks make people jump through to visit will make people less likely to visit.
Let's look at this for a moment though, I mean really look at it, while the points sound like a lot of hoops, here is the reality:
  • Make required advance reservations for a specific date and time
    • This ensures there is adequate space and the park isn't overcrowded, long term I think we will see all theme parks keep this in some form or another. The timed portion also helps ensure the entry queues aren't overwhelmed all at once. Yes, it requires some extra planning, but it can make for an easier entry process.
  • Present their timed entry voucher at the park entrance
    • This really just ties into point one
  • Complete a required pre-arrival COVID-19 health survey
    • This is actually the most concerning item, not because I think it is a bad idea, I am still undecided on that, but rather because it actually opens the theme parks up to law suits claiming that this violates things like HIPPA and even if such lawsuits are unsuccessful (and I don't think anyone knows if they would be or not), they still cost money to defend against, money that could be better spent elsewhere.
  • Process season passes without visiting the pass processing center
    • This was already possible at Knott's anyway, but I am assuming this makes the process even easier.
  • Place mobile food orders
    • Oh darn, I no longer will have to stand in massively long lines or pick somewhere else to eat to avoid a long line? Really, this is a positive step in the right direction and should be a permanent change.
  • Make cashless digital payments at shops and restaurants
    • Again, this should be a permanent change and is helpful for many
  • Find the closest hand sanitizing station using the app’s map
    • Same as finding the nearest restroom, so no issue there
  • Receive health and safety reminders
    • Unfortunately some people need these, but doesn't really bother me unless they are tracking my every move.

Really, only two extra hoops to jump through and both are relatively minor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom