All things Knotts Berry Farm

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I have a question, so it has always been publicized when Disney has a death at one of their parks and even six flags, but has anyone ever died at Knott's? I know there was a kid who was severely injured on Excellerator and people got hurt on Pony Express but have there been any deaths?

Darkbeer1

I have a question, so it has always been publicized when Disney has a death at one of their parks and even six flags, but has anyone ever died at Knott's? I know there was a kid who was severely injured on Excellerator and people got hurt on Pony Express but have there been any deaths?

Well, Ghost Town has a Cemetary.

To be serious, yes there has. Two guests have died on attractions, though neither was the fault of Knott's.

Justine Dedele Bolia, a 20-year-old woman, died on September 1, 2001, one day after riding Montezooma's Revenge. Bolia suffered a ruptured middle cerebral artery, and an autopsy revealed a pre-existing condition. The ride was closed for several days while an investigation was conducted. Though state investigators concluded that the ride did not contribute to her death, a wrongful death lawsuit was later filed by her family in 2002. The lawsuit was dismissed in 2006.

The second was on Perilous Plunge.

In September 2001, a 40-year-old woman fell out of the attraction, into the water, was hit by the boat, and died. An investigation showed that the 300 lb. (140 kg) woman had loosened the safety restraints, so that she could fit more comfortably inside the ride.

Phroobar

Original Poster

To be serious, yes there has. Two guests have died on attractions, though neither was the fault of Knott's.

Justine Dedele Bolia, a 20-year-old woman, died on September 1, 2001, one day after riding Montezooma's Revenge. Bolia suffered a ruptured middle cerebral artery, and an autopsy revealed a pre-existing condition. The ride was closed for several days while an investigation was conducted. Though state investigators concluded that the ride did not contribute to her death, a wrongful death lawsuit was later filed by her family in 2002. The lawsuit was dismissed in 2006.

In September 2001, a 40-year-old woman fell out of the attraction, into the water, was hit by the boat, and died. An investigation showed that the 300 lb. (140 kg) woman had loosened the safety restraints, so that she could fit more comfortably inside the ride.

How does a 300lb woman slip out of her seat belt and plunge headfirst out of the boat? More like suicide.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

>>Disneyland saw a drop in attendance after the long-awaited debut of Galaxy’s Edge, but the new Star Wars land didn’t hurt attendance at another theme park just up the I-5 Freeway: Knott’s Berry Farm.

In spite of the May debut of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, Knott’s Berry Farm is once again on pace to have a record attendance year, according to officials at Cedar Fair, the parent company of the Buena Park theme park.

“Knott’s is off to its best season start ever,” Cedar Fair CEO Richard Zimmerman said during a third quarter conference call with analysts on Wednesday, Nov. 6. “We’re well on our way to a record year.”

Disney officials said in August that the light summer crowds at Disneyland following the opening of the $1 billion Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge themed land resulted in a 3 percent decline in attendance at the Anaheim theme park.

Knott’s transformed the 1987 BigFoot Rapids river rapids water ride into the Calico River Rapids attraction in May with a new Wild West theme and more than 20 animatronic figures.

“The growth in same-park attendance through the first 10 months of the year is very encouraging, particularly given the slow start to the season, most notably during January and February at Knott’s Berry Farm,” Cedar Fair chief financial officer Brian Witherow said on the call. “In spite of that slow start and the debut of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland, Knott’s once again is on pace to deliver its best year ever.”

The introduction of major new attractions at rival theme parks in Southern California hasn’t harmed attendance at Knott’s, Zimmerman said.

“We continue to see great, strong traction as we have in the past several years when other large-scale attractions have come online,” Zimmerman said. “We see continuing demand in that marketplace and we’re really pleased with where Knott’s is at.”

Cedar Fair theme parks saw a 6 percent lift in attendance to a record level of 25.8 million visitors, Witherow said.

Knott’s had a record Halloween Haunt in 2019, Zimmerman said. The annual Halloween events at Cedar Fair parks produced some of the biggest revenue and attendance days of the season, Witherow said.

Winter holiday events at Cedar Fair parks — like Knott’s Merry Farm — account for more than 15 percent of the theme park chain’s annual attendance and drive season pass sales, Zimmerman said.

Season pass sales for 2020 at Cedar Fair parks are up 50 percent, Witherow said.<<

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Woow. Thanks for that info. Is that why they closed Perilous Plunge?? I loved that ride. It was soo mich fun.

Ismael Flores

Season pass sales for 2020 at Cedar Fair parks are up 50 percent, Witherow said.<<

This is no good, as it is Knott's does not do a very good job in handling crowds. Their attraction loading formats is terrible and rides with lines that should take a few minutes sometimes take three times the time. I have seen attractions like Pony express with a line that is only using the last stretch of the queue take almost an hour. I can just imagine what the small park will be like with 50% more passholders.
They need to rethink their attraction load methods including the elimination of the last minute personal cubby storage idea. Maybe its time to add locker locations with a couple hour free usage. That alone would speed up loading

Emmanuel

Voyage to the Iron Reef will close January 5th for the return of "Bear-y" Tales

"Knott’s Berry Farm will bring back the Bear-y Tales dark ride in a tribute to the original one-of-a-kind attraction with the catchy theme song that could only be found at the Buena Park theme park.
The Knott’s Bear-y Tales: Return to the Fair 4-D interactive dark ride will debut in summer 2020 at Knott’s Berry Farm."

"Knott’s Bear-y Tales will replace the Voyage to the Iron Reef 4-D interactive dark ride that debuted at the park in 2015. The last day to ride Voyage to the Iron Reef will be Jan. 5."

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Voyage to the Iron Reef will close January 5th for the return of "Bear-y" Tales

View attachment 423777
"Knott’s Berry Farm will bring back the Bear-y Tales dark ride in a tribute to the original one-of-a-kind attraction with the catchy theme song that could only be found at the Buena Park theme park.
The Knott’s Bear-y Tales: Return to the Fair 4-D interactive dark ride will debut in summer 2020 at Knott’s Berry Farm."

"Knott’s Bear-y Tales will replace the Voyage to the Iron Reef 4-D interactive dark ride that debuted at the park in 2015. The last day to ride Voyage to the Iron Reef will be Jan. 5."
While it breaks my heart Kingdom of the Dinosaurs won't return I am glad a classic attraction is coming back and replacing that crappy screen octopus ride.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Just got the word on that one! This is going to be fun! Good reskin. I thought it was going to be motion controlled?

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Meh. What’s the point if it’s just going be the same ride with the same screens? It will still have the same problems. One being the capacity and utterly slow loading time. The Beary Tales theme also doesn’t do anything for me. Kingdom of the Dinosaurs on the other hand...

Rich T

Meh. What’s the point if it’s just going be the same ride with the same screens? It will still have the same problems. One being the capacity and utterly slow loading time. The Beary Tales theme also doesn’t do anything for me. Kingdom of the Dinosaurs on the other hand...
The Bear-Y Tales reskin has the potential to be super-charming and colorful in a way not found on other Knott’s rides. Plus the theme song is wonderful. I’m just hoping the new Bear-Y Tales retains an atmosphere of Rolly Crump-iness!

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

whether it be Bear-y Tales or Kingdom of the Dinosaurs returning, It better have several AA's like those two attractions did and not just be a re-skin of the current screens. Come on Knott's you knocked it out of the park with the AA's added to Calico Rapids, don't bring back a classic attraction that used to have AA's up the wazoo only to have them be replaced by screens.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
wheter it be Beary Tales or Kingdom of the Dinosaurs returning, It better have several AA's like those two attractions did and not just be a reskin of the current screens. Come on Knott's you knocked it out of the park with the AA's added to Calico Rapids, dont bring back a classic attraction that used to have AA's up the wazoo only to have them be replaced by screens.

I’m totally expecting it to be like Midway Mania. I didn’t care much for Iron Reef but at least it tried to be something new. Still better than that cheesy Buzz Lightyear ride.

Darkbeer1

The Bear-Y Tales reskin has the potential to be super-charming and colorful in a way not found on other Knott’s rides. Plus the theme song is wonderful. I’m just hoping the new Bear-Y Tales retains an atmosphere of Rolly Crump-iness!

New digitally rendered scenes will recreate the Boysenberry Pie Factory, Frog Forest, Fortune Teller Camp, Thunder Cave and Weird Woods from the original attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom