All-Star Music Suite or 2 rooms at Pop

dave1105

Myself, DW, DD -19 and DS -17 are planing a trip to WDW from 12/16-12-22. We are trying to be comfortable but not break the bank. We are trying to decide on the Music Suite or 2 rooms at POP. The 2 rooms at Pop are about $100 less.

Given the choices which would you choose?

I am also open to other suggestions.

H20Babie

It depends on what you are using the room(s) for.

Are you planning to make use of the ASM suite's kitchenette to save on food costs, or are you planning on being in the parks all day and eating out? With two teenagers, you may be out in the parks more than not. If so, go with the two rooms at Pop (if you want connecting rooms, say so when you reserve, otherwise you may get adjoining rooms that just share a wall).

Upvote 0

Plutofan1

I would go with the All Star Suites. We stayed there in November and it was fantastic! The resort and room was very clean. I will upload photos when I get home. The suite has a living room with 3 pull outs (which are the most convienient and comfortable sleeper sofas I have ever been on), 2 bathrooms, a kitchenette, and a bedroom with a queen size bed. There are 20" Flat Screen TVs in the living room and in the bedroom. The buildings that contain the suites are the Jazz and the Calypso buildings. Both are extremely close to the food court and services. Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

dave1105

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. Mostly looking to spend the time in the parks and we are planning on getting the dining plan. The refrigerator and microwave would be a plus, but not critical. From what I hear with the dining plan may use the fridge to store leftovers!

Upvote 0

dave1105

Original Poster
Are there any other resort choices that allow me to have my dd-19 and ds -17 sleep separately but also allow myself and dw to sleep together?

I definately wanna stay on site and try to keep cost down.

The wilderness cabins seem nice but from what I have read transportation is not good. I plan to have a car when I visit.

Upvote 0

jasondiff

Are there any other resort choices that allow me to have my dd-19 and ds -17 sleep separately but also allow myself and dw to sleep together?

The wilderness cabins seem nice but from what I have read transportation is not good. I plan to have a car when I visit.

If you will have a car then maybe transportation will not be a big deal. The other option is a room at POR which sleeps 5 with a trundle bed. That will allow the teens to sleep separately. You have to ask for these rooms specifically as not all POR rooms have the trundle bed.

Upvote 0

phichi17

Not a good idea if you want the kids to sleep separately. Let me explain.
The master bedroom has a double bed and a set of bunk beds. The living area has a murphy bed, there really isn't any way to keep the kids separate, and you and your wife separate and the cabins. That is not really an option at the suites either unless they don't mind sleeping in the same room.

IMHO I would go with the 2 room option, save money AND get some privacy for you and the Mrs.

Upvote 0

jasonchas

The other option is a room at POR which sleeps 5 with a trundle bed. That will allow the teens to sleep separately. You have to ask for these rooms specifically as not all POR rooms have the trundle bed.

I dont think a teenage boy or girl could sleep comfortably on a trundle bed. They are made for the little ones.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The 2 rooms at POP (or any value for that matter) is the way to go. I have a family of 5 and we do this quite frequently. It will give you the space and 2 bathroom convenience of the suite without the additional cost. The worst thing that will happen is that the rooms will not be right next to each other but judging by your kids age that should not be a huge issue.

There are really no other options on property that will give you this arrangement without additional cost.

Upvote 0

dave1105

Original Poster
Myself, DW, DD -19 and DS -17 are planing a trip to WDW from 12/16-12-22. We are trying to be comfortable but not break the bank. We are trying to decide on the Music Suite or 2 rooms at POP. The 2 rooms at Pop are about $100 less.

Given the choices which would you choose?

I am also open to other suggestions.

Thanks again for the input. I am leaning toward the two rooms at Pop.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Does anyone know how comfortable the convertible beds are at WDW? According to Allearsnet.com, the All-Star Suites have sleeper sofa, and convertible ottoman and chair sleeper. I've never slept in a convertible in WDW, but any other convergible I've ever used has killed my back, and this is when I was younger, and not the physical mess I am today.

Upvote 0

dave1105

Original Poster
Does anyone know how comfortable the convertible beds are at WDW? According to Allearsnet.com, the All-Star Suites have sleeper sofa, and convertible ottoman and chair sleeper. I've never slept in a convertible in WDW, but any other convergible I've ever used has killed my back, and this is when I was younger, and not the physical mess I am today.

If you look at the allearsnet reader reviews for all star music the last review on the first page states that the pull out was very comfortable.

Upvote 0

TTFN-Tiggger

I would do the 2 rooms at POP since they are less. Ask for rooms that are adjoining or near each other. I did that in March - 4 adults traveling ~ 2 per room. Gave us the space we needed, privacy and at a good price. We had a cooler in the room with ice to keep pop, etc cold. We did keep a few leftovers in there too. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

DisneyMomof2

Definately get 2 rooms, this is hwat we did at the Pop last October and it worked out great. Our travel agent, Josephine at WDWTravel, jowdwtravel@optonline.net (sorry Kingdom Konsultants - I used her before I joined this site) was able to get us guaranteed adjoining rooms. One room was a King accessible and the adjoining room had two double beds. We were not far from the pool or food court. I would definately book this option again. We had originally booked a suite, but could not get the free dining that was being offered at the time with a suite so that is why we changed, but I am so glad that we did, we had alot more room that the suite. Also, if anyone in your party has medication that needs to be refrigerated, Disney will provide a refrigerator for free. Just request it when checking in.

Upvote 0

Plutofan1

This is from minnie61650 of Dis Boards. I found this very helpful in planning our trip.

Some of the Family Suites now open!

Current plans are for all 192 Family Suites to be available on or before January 1, 2007.

The Family Suites will be located in the Calypso and Jazz Inn Buildings. When complete:

Calypso Building 1 will have 32 suites
Calypso Building 10 will have 54 suites
Jazz Inn Building 2 will have 52 suites
Jazz Inn Building 9 will have 54 suites

The suites are located on all three floors, and will be near each other, but none will offer connecting suites. There is no price difference between the buildings.

2006 pricing will be:

$169 plus tax - Value Season (Aug 27 - Oct 4; Nov 26 - Dec 19)
$209 plus tax - Regular Season (Apr 23 - Aug 26; Oct 5 - Nov 25)
$239 plus tax - Peak Season (Mar 6* - Apr 22)
$259 plus tax Holiday Season (Dec 20 - 31)
(* once available)

For comparison, the price of a Family Suite is $9-11 more then 2 Standard Rooms, or $13-15 less the 2 Preferred Rooms, depending on season.

Currently, none of the discount promotional offers will include these suites, (ie, no passholder, FL Resident, AAA, etc) however this may change in the future once all suites are ready, based on occupancy trends.

--------------------------------------------

Here are some reasons I think the family suites would be a good choice!

*** They are 520 square feet.

*** The Family suites are located in the Jazz and Calypso buildings at All Star Music.(these are the closet buildings to the food court and the bus stop.

*** They cost less than a standard room at AKL or WL.

*** They have a QUEEN size bed (the other values and even the mods do not have a queen bed.

***the fridge is included (if you booked 2 connecting value rooms you would need to pay $10 extra for a night for a fridge if you wanted one.

*** They come with a microwave and coffeepot (If you booked 2 connecting value rooms you would not even be be able to rent a microwave and coffeepot.

***They have two 27 inch flat CRT TV's (if you book POR or a Deluxe room which sleeps 5 you will have 1 TV)

THey have 2 bathrooms (if you book POR or a Deluxe room which sleeps 5 you will have 1 Bathroom.

For more info and photos please see my FAQ thread and feel free to PM me with any questions.

Here is the FAQ thread:*Note you can also find it on the resort stickey

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072409

Accordingto the Dis resorts website the suites are $169-$259 depending on the season they are booked for.
A little info:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/asm.htm

FAMILY SUITES: Two rooms that can accommodate up to six guests.
The suites include a kitchenette with under counter refrigerator, microwave, sink and coffeemaker. There are two full bathrooms with separate vanities.

** NOTE there is a wall mounted hair dryer next to the bathroom sink.
Look at 8th and 10th phots down and you will see it.

Here are some new photos from the DIS resort website:

03.jpg

03.jpg

05.jpg

07.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

18.jpg

Bus Info:

Bus rides are quite short from the ALL Stars according to PassPorter.com

All Star Buses-CBR buses---POPbuses--PO buses--- Contemporary
MK 20 min---- 20 min-----25 min------10 min---20 min(mono)
Epcot 10 min-- 15 min-----20 min------10 min---15 min
MGM 10 min----12 min-----15 min------15 min---20min
AK 10 min------20min-------15 min----15 min---20 min
DTD 15 min----20 min------20 min-----15 min---35 min

It only takes 10 minutes to get to Epcot,MGM and AK from All Stars.
MK is 20 min away. That's the same amount of time it takes on the monorail from the Contemporary.

The gift shops are seperate from the food court at the All Stars.
When staying at the All Stars you can use any of the All Star pools. that means 3 main pools ,3 quite pools and 3 kiddie pools to chose from.

All Stars vs. Pop

GENERAL INFO:

If you are considering a value resort All Stars will give you MORE floor space than Pop. Although both resorts are 260 square feet

The Pop rooms seem smaller because the bed is closer to the door with a bigger gap being between the bathroom wall and the far bed. At the All Stars this gap is about one foot wide. Giving you more floor space.

http://allearsnet.com/acc/asmv59.jpg
http://allearsnet.com/acc/popcent56.jpg

Also you cannot move the beds at Pop because they are bolted to the floor.
You can move the beds at the All Stars giving you even more usable floor space or you can push one of the beds against the to keep a little safe.

Pop has 2,880 guest rooms. 4 floors in each building.
All Stars has 1,960 rooms. 3 floors in each building. That means more people in the food courts,in the pools and waiting at the bus stop at POP than at the All Stars.

More All Star Info

Here is a site with a map of All Star Sports and All Star Music.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/allstarmap.htm
Scroll down.All Star Music is at the bottom of the page.
The Calypso buildings at All Star Music are #1 and #10 are nearest to the food court and bus stop.

The Calypso pool at ASMU has Donald Duck.

Here is the map of All Movies.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/allstarmovie.JPG
The Fantasia Buildings are the preferred buildings.
The All Star Movie Fantasia pool has Mickey.
It is a great place to stay .
Preschoolers love it.
It is like being in the middle of a Disney Movie Fantasyland.
All Star Movies has pop up fountains now also.

The gift shops are seperate from the food court at the All Stars.
When staying at the All Stars you can use any of the All Star pools. that means 3 main pools ,3 quiet pools and 3 kiddie pools to chose from.

All Star Pools

The pools at The All Stars are very kid friendly.

When staying at the All Stars you can use any of the All Star pools.That means 3 main pools ,3 quiet pools and 3 kiddie pools to chose from.

The All Star Sports pool has giant surfboard icons.
The All Star Movie Fantasia pool has Mickey.
All Star Movies also has a themed Fantasia kiddie pool.
The Calypso pool at ASMU has Donald Duck.

A WORD ABOUT BUS SHARING

To me Bus Sharing at the All Stars is really a non issue.

In the morning during park opening times each All Star usually has a dedicated bus.
It is usually just our stop and maybe one more on the way to the parks. On the way back sometimes it is all 3 but often Sports and Music share and Movies has it's own bus back.

I guess some people who stay at POP see all 3 All Star names on the return sign of our bus stop when they head to the POP bus stop and think All Stars also has 3 stops on the way to the park.
(Even when we stop at another AS resort to load up it has not taken more than 5 minutes and we are on our way!)

Also keep in mind, in value season, the price for 2 PREFERRED rooms is $188 while the suite is $179 and the suites are in the preffered building. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

ELopez

It does depend.

I think the All Star suites are nice - roomy and nice kitchenette, Fun pools and convenient food court.

My all time favorite are the cabins at FW campground - full kitchen with dining table, too. Separate bedroom (which we put the kids in). Although you really do need a car there.

2 value rooms will keep you more separate (which you may want), but no kitchen. The nice thing would be 2 bathrooms.

It depends on how much time you think you might be in the room and what sort of resort ammenities you are looking for.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom