Alien Encounter: Why did it really close?

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
are you coming on to me?

:veryconfu :veryconfu :veryconfu
I think you might be drunk now.............

We had some good conversations through PM about those topics that night.

Blair

dxwwf3 said:
Well I would invite you to take a look at my AE tribute video over on #disney-central. That way you can see the attraction again and not have to worry about the effects :wave:
Is there a link to this?

Also as much as I love Stitch, the loss of AE pains me greatly.

bsandersjr

I know the REAL reason Alien Encounter closed....

See, here in America, not all people can read. So, some of these people who cannot read, decided to take the young ones to experience the attraction. Well, since they could not read, the kids got a little scared. So, to make up for being uneducated, a complaint was filed. Well, more and more uneducated people who could not read, repeated the above mentioned actions.
Now, for those of us who can read warning signs, books, magazines, etc..., will never get to experience Alien Encounter again thanks to those non-readers out there.
I'd say thanks to them in a sarcastic way, but they couldn't read this post.

CaptainMichael

Because the Walt Disney Co. knew that Stitch's Great Escape would be such a spectacular, Earth-shattering attraction!............or for all of the reasons posted above!

dxwwf3

bsandersjr said:

See, here in America, not all people can read. So, some of these people who cannot read, decided to take the young ones to experience the attraction. Well, since they could not read, the kids got a little scared. So, to make up for being uneducated, a complaint was filed. Well, more and more uneducated people who could not read, repeated the above mentioned actions.
Now, for those of us who can read warning signs, books, magazines, etc..., will never get to experience Alien Encounter again thanks to those non-readers out there.

If we still had reputation, you would be getting some serious green points from me, just for humor alone.

MKBurn15

General Grizz said:
Just got an email stating Stitch will replace Donald on the "Wet Paint Signs."
You're not serious, are you? Because if you are, I have the following to say:
:fork: EXPLITIVE! :fork:

Dayma

I went on AE once four years ago and left very disapointed. I just never felt like I was part of the show. It was more like I was watching.

maxime29

Premium Member
Well, the majority of you have already made good reasons with this. I have nothing to add other than I wish AE was still around. When it first came out, I was scared to try the attraction out. I was able to go on it in 2003, and it became one of my favorite attractions. Too bad that was the last year it was open :(

ZHoyt

Why is it that AE isn't supposed to fit in the MK? Where does it say that fear-inducing attractions aren't allowed? It just really bugs me when people make this faux-argument.

And now that the "real" reason for AE closing has been established, how about the real reason Stitch has failed? I know the arguments about not knowing which audience to target definately hold some mustard, but there is something else I've never seen pointed out. Stitch offered nothing new to the table.

AE was a rehash of sorts of Mission to Mars. But it majorly upped the ante, adding much more immersive effects and a great AA. Stitch didn't one-up AE in any department, it simply put in a new alien and inserted an ill-fiting story line to match the existing ride architecture. AE came up with an interesting original story that fit well with the theater set up. This is not the case with Stitch. They simply plucked a portion of the original film's script and stretched it to fit. I don't have a problem with the WDC re-using and re-theming buildings. They made it work with AE by investing what needed to be invested into it instead of simply taking a prepackaged idea and forcing it onto an existing concept.

Lastly, for those who think AE was less successful because it had no movie tie-ins, you need to think before you type. Ever heard of Jungle Cruise? Pirates of the Carribean? The Haunted Mansion? Space Mountain? A ride's story being original does not make it inferior in any way.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As I said earlier I thought AE was perfect in new Tomorrowland - the Science Center, the Convention Center, Avenue of the Planets, Rocketeller Plaza (sp), TTA Metro, Walt Disney`s CoP `museum`, - they all conveyed the story perfectly. There were some gaps here and there, where some theming was lacking, and Buzz (IMHO) could have better served the studios - purely because of the theming mentioned above (I`m not suggesting Take Flight would have been a better proposition) but right now it is in danger of becoming a mis-mash that could loose its way like Futureworld did.

Ziggie

Original Poster
bsandersjr said:

Great post! :lol:

I still think that Disney itself should've stepped in on this one tho.. if it truly was scary. It's obvious "parents" don't always know what's right for their little kiddies ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom