Alien Encounter: Why did it really close?

slappy magoo

I said this in another post (I thought it was this one, oh well), but the whole ride just made me mad that they took something as interesting and thrilling as AE was and watered it down to such a drastic degree. I didn't see ANYBODY walking off the ride happy they rode it, with the exception of a few VERY young kids.

The most insulting point was, when the audience first sees Stitch, they have the voices of "kids" in the speakers in your seat saying stuff like "Look, Mom! It's Stitch! (Giggle) He's funny! He's cool!" Now, I understand the logic-if you're going to defang the ride, might as well make it completely toothless. Make sure any little kids on the ride know, for a fact, that nothing scary will happen, and what does that better than hearing another little kid telling you that what your'e seeing is "cool?" But the execution is so offensive, it makes my head spin. If the ride has to TELL YOU that it's cool, then it, by definition, IS NOT COOL. They might as well have a professional hypnotist standing outside putting the whamma-jamma on you as you leave, chanting "YOU LOVED THIS ATTRACTION! YOU WILL TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO EXPERIENCE IT! NO WAIT IS TOO LONG FOR STITCH!"

I think there's a faulty leap in logic here that I also think is partially responsible for Pleasure Island being so lame nowadays. Disney is the premiere family destination, but in the late 80s and throughout the 90s, Disney seemed to understand that there should be a few places where an adult could get a respite from the throngs of children. So you have bars and lounges, you have PI, and you have a few attractions geared towards an audience older than 7 or 8, like AE. But with the dawn of the 21st century, a new decision was made to make every square inch of the World family-friendly. It'd be great to have at least a few elements of the World that are made for adult tastes without looking like the red-light district of Amsterdam or something. But because certain people feel like they should be able to take their kids everywhere in WDW-that "I paid good money and I want to see this, and I don't have anyone else to watch my kids so they're coming in with me and just try to stop me" mentality-that ruins those adult-themed attractions. It's why you see 4 year-olds bumping and grinding with their slightly inebriated "cool" Aunt Gloria at 8-TRAX. It's why you see kids napping under the tables at the Riverside Roost while Dad decides he wants "one more for the road." It's why you get your linen shirt ruined because some baby threw her strained peas at you while her parents tried to enjoy a "romantic" dinner at the Cali Grill, thereby destroying YOUR romantic evening.

Sorry if I sound down on kids. And I AM aware that you're gonna find a kid or two at Walt Disney World. What makes me mad is that so many parents or guardians can be that selfish that they'd truck children to places that perhaps children shouldn't be, just because THEY want to be there, ruining the experience for the people who knew better than to bring kids to those areas. Maybe, when you're a parent, you accept that there are places you can't go unless you can find someone who will watch your kids for you. You wouldn't bring your child to a bar or dance club in your hometown, and you wouldn't bring them to a bar or club in any other vacation destination. So why do you think a bar or nightclub at Disney should suddenly be age-appropriate? I'd have to guess most kids aren't begging to go to Pleasure Island (with the exception of something like Adventurer's Club). And, to me, AE was one of those not-for-the-wee-ones areas.

I know, the need to sell T-shirts & key chains is high priority at WDW, but I would guess, if there weren't SGE t-shirts to buy, people would still spend that money on SOMETHING. A t-shirt would be bought by that person. I just think that Disney needs to realize that they have young adults (and not so young like I must sadly admit I am) who liked that there were at least a few not-suitable-for-children areas of the world. Now, I guess I'll need to learn to like golf or save up for a massage at Saratoga. Aside from my own room (for now), I can't imagine any other places that might not have screaming kids. And even there I'm probably wrong.

dxwwf3

slappy magoo said:
Disney is the premiere family destination, but in the late 80s and throughout the 90s, Disney seemed to understand that there should be a few places where an adult could get a respite from the throngs of children. So you have bars and lounges, you have PI, and you have a few attractions geared towards an audience older than 7 or 8, like AE. But with the dawn of the 21st century, a new decision was made to make every square inch of the World family-friendly.

What a great post!

imagineer boy

slappy magoo said:
I said this in another post (I thought it was this one, oh well), but the whole ride just made me mad that they took something as interesting and thrilling as AE was and watered it down to such a drastic degree. I didn't see ANYBODY walking off the ride happy they rode it, with the exception of a few VERY young kids.

The most insulting point was, when the audience first sees Stitch, they have the voices of "kids" in the speakers in your seat saying stuff like "Look, Mom! It's Stitch! (Giggle) He's funny! He's cool!" Now, I understand the logic-if you're going to defang the ride, might as well make it completely toothless. Make sure any little kids on the ride know, for a fact, that nothing scary will happen, and what does that better than hearing another little kid telling you that what your'e seeing is "cool?" But the execution is so offensive, it makes my head spin. If the ride has to TELL YOU that it's cool, then it, by definition, IS NOT COOL. They might as well have a professional hypnotist standing outside putting the whamma-jamma on you as you leave, chanting "YOU LOVED THIS ATTRACTION! YOU WILL TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO EXPERIENCE IT! NO WAIT IS TOO LONG FOR STITCH!"

I think there's a faulty leap in logic here that I also think is partially responsible for Pleasure Island being so lame nowadays. Disney is the premiere family destination, but in the late 80s and throughout the 90s, Disney seemed to understand that there should be a few places where an adult could get a respite from the throngs of children. So you have bars and lounges, you have PI, and you have a few attractions geared towards an audience older than 7 or 8, like AE. But with the dawn of the 21st century, a new decision was made to make every square inch of the World family-friendly. It'd be great to have at least a few elements of the World that are made for adult tastes without looking like the red-light district of Amsterdam or something. But because certain people feel like they should be able to take their kids everywhere in WDW-that "I paid good money and I want to see this, and I don't have anyone else to watch my kids so they're coming in with me and just try to stop me" mentality-that ruins those adult-themed attractions. It's why you see 4 year-olds bumping and grinding with their slightly inebriated "cool" Aunt Gloria at 8-TRAX. It's why you see kids napping under the tables at the Riverside Roost while Dad decides he wants "one more for the road." It's why you get your lenon shirt ruined because some baby threw her strained peas at you while her parents tried to enjoy a "romantic" dinner at the Cali Grill, thereby destroying YOUR romantic evening.

Sorry if I sound down on kids. And I AM aware that you're gonna find a kid or two at Walt Disney World. What makes me mad is that so many parents or guardians can be that selfish that they'd truck children to places that perhaps children shouldn't be, just because THEY want to be there, ruining the experience for the people who knew better than to bring kids to those areas. Maybe, when you're a parent, you accept that there are places you can't go unless you can find someone who will watch your kids for you. You wouldn't bring your child to a bar or dance club in your hometown, and you wouldn't bring them to a bar or club in any other vacation destination. So why do you think a bar or nightclub at Disney should suddenly be age-appropriate? I'd have to guess most kids aren't begging to go to Pleasure Island (with the exception of something like Adventurer's Club). And, to me, AE was one of those not-for-the-wee-ones areas.

I know, the need to sell T-shirts would be bought by that person. I just think that Disney needs to realize that they have young adults (and not so young like I must sadly admit I am) who liked that there were at least a few not-suitable-for-children areas of the world. Now, I guess I'll need to learn to like golf or save up for a massage at Saratoga. Aside from my own room (for now), I can't imagine any other places that might not have screaming kids. And even there I'm probably wrong.

Bravo! Bravo! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: Thank you for clarifying this! I really hope that Disney has learned its lesson from this whole mess.

Now its time for the wheel of Morality! Wheel of Morality, turn turn turn! Tell us the lesson that we should learn. nd the moral is:

Bring back Alien Encounter! Give Stitch the boot! :sohappy:

jozzmenia

slappy magoo said:
I think there's a faulty leap in logic here that I also think is partially responsible for Pleasure Island being so lame nowadays. Disney is the premiere family destination, but in the late 80s and throughout the 90s, Disney seemed to understand that there should be a few places where an adult could get a respite from the throngs of children. So you have bars and lounges, you have PI, and you have a few attractions geared towards an audience older than 7 or 8, like AE. But with the dawn of the 21st century, a new decision was made to make every square inch of the World family-friendly. It'd be great to have at least a few elements of the World that are made for adult tastes without looking like the red-light district of Amsterdam or something. But because certain people feel like they should be able to take their kids everywhere in WDW-that "I paid good money and I want to see this, and I don't have anyone else to watch my kids so they're coming in with me and just try to stop me" mentality-that ruins those adult-themed attractions. It's why you see 4 year-olds bumping and grinding with their slightly inebriated "cool" Aunt Gloria at 8-TRAX. It's why you see kids napping under the tables at the Riverside Roost while Dad decides he wants "one more for the road." It's why you get your linen shirt ruined because some baby threw her strained peas at you while her parents tried to enjoy a "romantic" dinner at the Cali Grill, thereby destroying YOUR romantic evening.

I TOTALLY AGREE. But i do have some sympathy for the parents. Because I am 25 now with no kids, I am thinking, "what is there for me?" But when I have kids, I will take them everywhere with me in all the parks and I won't care about that, I will just want them to have fun and see everything, and if I want to see something I will want them to see it to. I know that's what I will expect from Disneyworld. When I was a kid, our parents went everywhere with us. We never stayed with a babysitter at the hotel or anything, just did everything as a family. So it's a difficult balance. But Pleasure Island is definitely not enough for us grown folks ;)

TiggersPooh

when I go to PI for CP nights (i rarely go) its just really wierd to see kids in strollers still up and in the area. It doesnt make sense, you have people drunk and smoking all over and yet you bring your children into that area.

Ziggie

Original Poster
slappy magoo said:

Very well said. I guess we could all escape to Atlantic Dance Hall, 'eh? :rolleyes:

BriarDavid

Stitch has been one of the biggest failures in Disney history. They took away AE because it was too scary for the kids, who have a whole park, plus 3 others, filled with stuff for them. Then, Stitch is despised by anyone over 13 because it has no plotline (really) and it still scares kids because the elements that scared them in the first place (dark, trapping restraints) are still there. So nobody really likes it. There have really been no good reviews on it, so that info will eventually reach the tourists who were planning on coming to MK. Eventually no one will ride this ride, and it will close down.

I myself don't understand why people loved Stitch so much. It was barely an okay movie. Barely. If all Disney is concerned about is selling stuff, then sell it in gift shops but keep rides that make sense where they are!

dxwwf3

BriarDavid said:
They took away AE because it was too scary for the kids, who have a whole park, plus 3 others, filled with stuff for them.

I can totally agree with that statement, but don't sell short the popularity of Stitch. There are quite a few Disney fans that love Stitch, but he is more popular with the average, non fan. SGE might be a failure, but the movie and the character aren't (As much as I don't like either one of them as well).

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
I can totally agree with that statement, but don't sell short the popularity of Stitch. There are quite a few Disney fans that love Stitch, but he is more popular with the average, non fan. SGE might be a failure, but the movie and the character aren't (As much as I don't like either one of them as well).

SGE might have been a failure, but the upgrades have done wonders to better the attraction.

Remember (for those who are old enough) AE was a failure when it first opened too, and not until it was closed and re-imagineered was it more successful.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
SGE might have been a failure, but the upgrades have done wonders to better the attraction.

From what I've heard, the storyline wasn't changed at all. It's going to take alot more than some projections to make the attraction better, in most people's minds. IF SGE goes under a similar type of rehab that AE went under, then maybe they can get somewhere. And that hasn't happened yet.

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
From what I've heard, the storyline wasn't changed at all. It's going to take alot more than some projections to make the attraction better, in most people's minds. IF SGE goes under a similar type of rehab that AE went under, then maybe they can get somewhere. And that hasn't happened yet.

It made it better in my mind, and most people I have been there with.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
It made it better in my mind, and most people I have been there with.

That doesn't seem to be the general consensus of this message board from people who have seen it though.

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
That doesn't seem to be the general consensus of this message board from people who have seen it though.

Part of the problem is that many people who don't like it, have not seen it.

Also, nobody here is a casual fan......casual fans are easier to please.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
Part of the problem is that many people who don't like it, have not seen it.

Also, nobody here is a casual fan......casual fans are easier to please.

Most of the people commenting on seeing the show after the changes are the ones I'm talking about.

Hopefully Disney doesn't lower their standards in order to try and just please the casual fans for every attraction. Wasn't it you that told me that sometimes Disney goes the extra mile for it's guests? :animwink:

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
Hopefully Disney doesn't lower their standards in order to try and just please the casual fans for every attraction. Wasn't it you that told me that sometimes Disney goes the extra mile for it's guests? :animwink:

That does not sound like me.

Casual fans are 99.9% of the people that visit. If WDW makes decisions that will please only .1% of the guests, we are all in trouble (as it may not be us)

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
That does not sound like me.

It was definately the speck-ster who made that comment. Maybe someone logged into your account that day :lol:

EDIT: I found it! :)

Here's what I said:
dxwwf3 said:
And I guess you could use the argument that if nobody but the Disney fan cares about the look of the pavilion, then why spend all that money changing it? Why not just throw Soarin' in there and leave everything else the same? I'm not saying that's how I fell AT ALL by the way. Just posing the question.

and your reply

speck76 said:
Because, unlike what some people want you to believe, WDC still goes above and beyond.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=999627&postcount=111

I think "going the extra mile" and going "above and beyond" are comparable. So what if I didn't get the EXACT phrasing right? :animwink:

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
Casual fans are 99.9% of the people that visit. If WDW makes decisions that will please only .1% of the guests, we are all in trouble (as it may not be us)

If Disney lowers their standarts to what a casual guest would want in every case, then they need to build a thrill park and go the Six Flags route. Then the WE are the ones in trouble.

For every Primeval Whirl there needs to be an Expedition Everest to make up for it. That 99.9% would be fine with a generic roller coaster, but luckily Disney cares about the .1% so we will get a very detailed queue and a heavily themed attraction that isn't just a ride......it's a story! :lol:

DisneyFreak529

Stitch has been one of the biggest failures in Disney history.

I don't think Stitch is the failure. I think it is the over advertising of him, I mean he is on everything now!! He is cute but lets face it he isn't MICKEY!! They shouldn't have put his face(stitch) all over the place (maps, boards, tv commerical, stitch castle, ride, etc....!!

Maybe be AE was to scarie but they did post up signs saying that it would be scarie for kids. So if kids were scaried on it that is the parents fault, not Disney.
If a parent takes there kid to see a Horror movie, it's not the movie producers fail it's the parents.

Ziggie

Original Poster
BriarDavid said:
Stitch has been one of the biggest failures in Disney history. They took away AE because it was too scary for the kids, who have a whole park, plus 3 others, filled with stuff for them. Then, Stitch is despised by anyone over 13 because it has no plotline (really) and it still scares kids because the elements that scared them in the first place (dark, trapping restraints) are still there. So nobody really likes it. There have really been no good reviews on it, so that info will eventually reach the tourists who were planning on coming to MK. Eventually no one will ride this ride, and it will close down.

I myself don't understand why people loved Stitch so much. It was barely an okay movie. Barely. If all Disney is concerned about is selling stuff, then sell it in gift shops but keep rides that make sense where they are!

I'm pretty much in agreement with all of these comments. For me, there is no desire to experience Stitch. I wasn't a fan of the movie (I mean, it was *ok*.. but nothing special) so there is no real pull for me to go and see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom