Alice in Wonderland

catinthehat

I was really glad that Burton and Linda Woolverton combined a bunch of Carroll's works - The Jabberwock was a great addition! The Jabberwocky poem is so eerie and I think it fits right in with Burton's aesthetic. Bravo to them for building on such a classic without simply duplicating things we have already seen!

kstella

My daughter(a HUGE Tim Burton and Johnny Depp fan) and I saw it last weekend. She even wore her Mad Hatter hat that we got while at WDW in February. We really enjoyed it. It was visually amazing and I thought the story was pretty good. We really enjoyed the dance at the end.

emerald28

We saw it opening weekend. No rave reviews here. Just "pretty good". Spectacular visuals and terrific characters, but (just as I felt in Princess and the Frog) pacing issues in the middle act that bored me. Interestingly enough I haven't ever really loved a filmed version of Alice and this was the best one. I've always thought it was one of those impossible stories to capture on film.

Interesting that this was your favorite film version... maybe you liked it best of the films because it wasn't trying to be the story from the book, but rather a sequel.

For my part, I think the best film adaptation of the story in the book is the 1985 TV miniseries with Red Buttons as the White Rabbit and Carol Channing as the White Queen, among a bevy of other very famous people.

I loved the new movie, personally, though. :D

BrerFrog

I watched it this weekend and I liked it, even if some parts of the movie were kind of boring. I felt like Alice's life in the real world was totally rushed, especially after she returns from Wonderland, and that dance at the end was just.... :brick::hurl:

Aside from that I loved the cast and dialogue. Mia Wasikowska was surprisingly great as Alice, and I don't think there is any need to comment on how awesome Helena Bonham Carter is. :sohappy:

ABigBrassBand

The JabberwockY. :wave:
Fixed :p
I watched it this weekend and I liked it, even if some parts of the movie were kind of boring. I felt like Alice's life in the real world was totally rushed, especially after she returns from Wonderland, and that dance at the end was just.... :brick::hurl:
Don't even talk to me about the dance :lol:, that was horrid. The only parts of the movie I actually loved were both Queens and the march hare. I felt that Burton hit those parts right on the head :)
I thought it was fairly obvious that I was posting my opinion. Even the most successful of movie ventures can be considered colossal flops by many - I don't know a single person who has applauded the scripts of recent financially-successful movies like Twilight, the latest Harry Potter, or Ice Age 3. Fact is, practically anything that Tim Burton makes anymore is going to be a financial success. Doesn't mean it's good.

[And just to cover my butt here, I love Tim Burton. Just got back from seeing his exhibit at the MoMA in NYC over the weekend. Love his stop-motion work more than anything else, though, and find myself wishing he'd go back to doing original work.]
In my opinion, I completely agree with you Demeter. I liked some parts (stated above), but I really didn't feel that those justified the movie at all, hence why I think it was a total flop.

glee

I'll be the odd one out and say I thought it was absolutely terrible. A waste of talent and money, all around. Burton took a series that was practically written FOR him and mucked up characters [Red Queen vs. Queen of Hearts], diluted exchanges that could have been far more witty, and altered the singular tone of the books to resemble "generic fantasy epic #230942." [The entire "slay the jabberwocky" plot was highly un-Carroll.] The script was a travesty, unfocused and sluggish. Hathaway's role was an insult to her acting ability, and let's face it, we've all seen Johnny Depp play the Mad Hatter before. In practically every other movie he's done. Burton's love affair with Depp was one of the biggest downfalls of the movie, making much more of the Hatter character than need be. [My significant other joked that the film ought to have been called "Johnny Depp in Wonderland," he was so frequently overused.] Many of the Hatter scenes were so out-of-character they made me cringe. And Crispin Glover? What a thoroughly trite character and possibly the most ridiculous eyepatch I've ever seen. In general there were costuming aspects that bothered me, but as a hobbyist costumer I'm picky about these things. The movie could very easily have clocked in 20 minutes shorter and been so much better for it, the amount of extraneous material was THAT large. And why was it called "Alice in Wonderland" if the world is, in fact, named "Underland?" Oh, and dare I mention THE DANCE? As soon as I saw Johnny Depp BREAK CHARACTER COMPLETELY and start jigging up and down, I almost impulsively stood up to walk out of the theatre.

I'll admit there were really only three characters I enjoyed: Alice [who held the movie together, SOMEHOW], The Red Queen [HBC is always delightful, though], and the Cheshire Cat. And for someone who's always been a little creeped out by the Cheshire Cat to admit that he was her favourite character, really says something. I guess the CC's "creep out factor" was not as high as watching Johnny Depp fumble through hundreds of accents in way too many scenes or Crispin Glover flounce around with a heart on his eye.

In general, it was one of the biggest wastes of talent and money I've seen in a long while. All the right players were there - I happen to adore Burton's directing as well as most of the actors chosen for the movie, and the visual effects were stellar - but with such a poor script and supreme lack of focus, the movie was a complete flop.

:( Guess its only you that thinks that. (Not knockin your opinion :) ) but everyone i know loved it.

I thought it was amazing and beautiful! Great cast. So talented!:sohappy:

Dont get me started on how crap Twilight is! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom