Alice in Wonderland updates

mickEblu

As far as rides go, Splash is the best. It combines classic animatronics that were designed by Marc Davis, Tony Baxter's masterful storytelling, and is the perfect utilization of an IP. They actually re recorded the songs for the ride, instead of playing the movie audio (looking at you Mermaid), and were able to make the ride good on it's own merit.

Not to mention all the subtle moments. Coming out of that second drop into the blacklight lit beehives is likely the best moment in any Disney park rides.

However, the original version of Fantasmic is the crown jewel of all things produced by Disney... ;)

That drop is more fun than the finale and I agree pure Disney magic there.

SuddenStorm

Then again it's also hard to argue any of this.

You don't think Indy matches the direct creations of Walt? I get that it doesn't have that old time WED feel or many animatronics.

I'm definitely a bit jaded, but the more I ride Indy, the more let down I am by the broken effects and underutilized segments (the rat projection). I hope it gets an overhaul in the next 10 years, where they fix all the effects, and change some of the weaker scenes. Adding a few animatronics would be cool also.

mickEblu

I'm definitely a bit jaded, but the more I ride Indy, the more let down I am by the broken effects and underutilized segments (the rat projection). I hope it gets an overhaul in the next 10 years, where they fix all the effects, and change some of the weaker scenes. Adding a few animatronics would be cool also.

Oh I agree. I don't ride it more than twice a year. It's not very repeatable for me even when it is working. I'm just thinking back to my first few rides and how amazing it all was.

mickEblu

I'd easily say the Splash is my favourite Theme Park attraction in the world, and I'd argue that it's the definitive attraction at any Disney park, no, the crowning jewel out of all things that Disney produced! Every piece of music in and around that ride are masterpieces. The story is so simple yet perfect for a Disney attraction. The animatronics are amazing. And the set design is impeccable! It's detailed and filled with color. You just can't beat Splash Mountain! It's the only time "modern" Disney has ever matched the direct creations of Walt.

Agreed.

It's really hard to compare the top attractions though. I mean does anything beat what POTC did with size and scale? That battle ship scene feels like your in the middle of the ocean somewhere. The mood setting in the caverns? Again I'm just wondering what someone riding each for the first time would feel. Which would be more impressive to most.

George Lucas on a Bench

Splash Mountain is something that is genuinely better at WDW. You all know how I feel about DL's HM vs. WDW, but I can't argue that DL's Splash is inferior. At WDW, it's more elaborate and moves at a slower pace. Everything at DL is broken and all the lights are out, but I can't tell if the lights are supposed to be out and it's supposed to be like a Fantasyland dark ride in the water? It's still cool, but despite having basically the same layout, WDW has the better scenes and music, even if the "logs" look like loaves of bread.

Brer Oswald

@Brer Oswald and @SuddenStorm have you ever been on the WDW version? I haven't and have only seen a ride through on YouTube but I feel that I would enjoy the Disneyland version more. It feels more like a Fantasyland dark ride on steroids. The pace looks much faster, the drop more thrilling and the single file logs.
Yes I have. I've been on the WDW version 26 times, and the DL version only once. I prefer the WDW version overall, although it's not ahead of DL by much. There are less animatronics in WDW, but the animatronics that are there are visually and technically superior in every way. The scenes are incredibly more elaborate, and the slightly slower pace makes it easier to take in details. The drops are incredibly similar, with DL having the edge, but the logs at WDW are just so much more comfortable. The music is a toss up. I think WDW's style leads to the best version of "How Do You Do?" (my favourite song), but the overall soundtrack of DL is just much more magical (they both are, but again Disneyland has the edge). I feel like WDW is attempting to tell you a linear story in a grand way, while DL is taking a Pirates or Mansion approach, where there is still a linear story to follow, but it's filled with multiple different stories and characters all around. Again, it's close, but I find WDW the best, and I think if you went on it, you may too. It seems to be the general consensus.

D.Silentu

I think the low lighting cues at Disneyland's Splash are on purpose. I feel like one year I visited after the ride had returned from refurbishment and it had quite noticeably become what we have now. I can't remember well what it was like before, but I agree, I'm not a fan of the current stage lighting.

Brer Oswald

I think the banjo and harmonica music really give WDW the edge. It's mega charming.
It does. I always toss back and forth which has the better soundtrack, but I love me that Harmonica. The harmonica rendition of "How Do You Do" is my ringtone. I've also occasionally used it as an alarm, but it doesn't work well because it usually just manifests into my dream.

SuddenStorm

That drop is more fun than the finale and I agree pure Disney magic there.

Not to mention, the rendition of "Everybody's Got a Laughing Place" is the best piece of Disney park ride music available- especially since it isn't even the attraction's "signature" song. It just works so well.

Brer Oswald

Not to mention, the rendition of "Everybody's Got a Laughing Place" is the best piece of Disney park ride music available- especially since it isn't even the attraction's "signature" song. It just works so well.
Huh. Really? Personally I'd say How Do You Do? or Zip-a-dee-doo-dah are the best songs, and the the signature song is one of those two. But I find that it is very interesting we all have different opinions on Splash. It just goes to show everything was crafter with so much care, and everything in that attraction is amazing! And I'd say that the entire Splash Soundtrack as a whole is the best music out of anything in the park!

Brer Oswald

The best music is the rendition of Zip-a-dee-doo-dah (I copied and pasted this from your post because it looked more or less right) that is heard after you go down the waterfall.

I'm pretty sure that's it's correct spelling. There is something completely magical about Splash's renditions of "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah". The fact that it translates so well into so many forms makes it rival "When You Wish Upon a Star" as Disney's definitive song, at least in my eyes. I'd for sure consider it the theme of the parks, again in my opinion. I especially love the end part of the instrumental. I'm just so happy coming off the ride, probably the happiest I ever am, and it makes me want to just ride it continuously!

George Lucas on a Bench

Who could forget the rap version...

HM briefly appears at the start of this video in a mega charming cameo basking in the morning sun and you'll be wishing they'd gone in there instead within seconds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom