Alcohol at the parks

Neverwhere

Legacy said:
Not everybody who drinks gets drunk.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: Bravo. We have a winner.

No, it's not human nature to blow things out of proportion. Virtually everyone I know who is of legal drinking age drinks responsibly. Some mixed drinks, wines and beers have a nice flavor that many find very refreshing and unwinding and that is why most adults who have a drink now and then drink. Personally, I drank every night on my last trip, and only once was I even buzzed (and that was at Jellyrolls, a bar, and I was staying at the Boardwalk so I had a 10 minute walk back to my room). I had drinks at Epcot every day I was there. Why? Because they were good. Not because I'm some raving lush who can't control their drinking.

I have found most people are the same way. I don't think I have ever seen anyone in a WDW park or even in a hotel bar so drunk that they were out of control.

Trizz41999

okay, I am under age but this is what I think. Disney should be able to sell beer ect.. As long as people dont overdo it by becoming drunk and ruining everyones fun.

gjpjtj

RonAnnArbor said:
Hey! I'll look for you there, I am going next month too - and a refreshing adult beverage in the UK sounds good to me right now...in fact, in honor of gjpjtj's recent trip around Showcase, I think I will join him in enjoying a Labatt right now!...now I know why the PARENTS of 16 year olds head to the booze in Epcot first thing...

I'll meet you in the UK....Cheers!!

Neverwhere

By the way, did you know that if you order a drink at a sit down place, to go, they'll just give it to you in a plastic cup? We did this at Marrakesh last week. Sahara Splash is a nice drink, and so is the Marrakesh Express.

speck76

Neverwhere said:
By the way, did you know that if you order a drink at a sit down place, to go, they'll just give it to you in a plastic cup? We did this at Marrakesh last week. Sahara Splash is a nice drink, and so is the Marrakesh Express.
did you know that they have special cups for alcoholic (vs non-alcoholic) drinks, and they will not let you out of the park with an alcoholic drink.

Mixed drinks are served in clear plastic cups (to go)
Beer is served in white/red plastic WDW cups (to go)
soft drinks are served in paper WDW cups

MicBat

speck76 said:
did you know that they have special cups for alcoholic (vs non-alcoholic) drinks, and they will not let you out of the park with an alcoholic drink.

Mixed drinks are served in clear plastic cups (to go)
Beer is served in white/red plastic WDW cups (to go)
soft drinks are served in paper WDW cups
Nor are alcoholic beverages allowed in the queues of all attractions... But they end up in there anyway... :rolleyes:

speck76

MicBat said:
Nor are alcoholic beverages allowed in the queues of all attractions... But they end up in there anyway... :rolleyes:
ummm...yeah....

I once got a "good job" from at American Adventure CM for chugging a drink prior to going in the building

I was like "hey, I'll do an encore if you are buying"

orlandorealtor

speck76 said:
ummm...yeah....

I once got a "good job" from at American Adventure CM for chugging a drink prior to going in the building

I was like "hey, I'll do an encore if you are buying"

That's great. I can't imagine how many times I've stood at the door of American Adventure and started/finished my beverage before entering. I do, however, think the only drink they should allow in the show is Sam Adams from the neighboring Liberty Inn.

CThaddeus

Someone has to stand by El_Chupacabra, and I'm happy to say it will be me. Personally, I've always felt there should not be alcohol at ANY Disney Park. I'm more than twice his age and my opinion has not and will not ever change on this issue. I realize full well that Disney is out to make money wherever they can, but this is one area they should back away from...like they have with cigarettes. People will say they're not the same thing, but they are. They are both drugs, and as such do not belong in full view of children at any time. Call me a prude if you will (it's one of the few areas in which my thinking is not liberal), but this is one issue I'm very passionate about, in great part because I've lost friends and family members to alcohol. Please don't give me the "alcohol doesn't kill people, people kill people" nonsense. And don't give me the "but I only have a drink here and there" speech, either. Children watch and children learn. If you absolutely cannot survive spending a day at a Disney Park without getting your buzz on, then I would instead suggest you leave and go somewhere like Universal or Busch Gardens. Try living life sober a few hours and see if you can stand it. I have very little respect for those who feel the need to brag about how much they've had at EPCOT Center, or how they can drink their way around World Showcase. It doesn't make you look impressive; it makes you look kind of sad. Forgive me for standing on my soapbox here, but there really is no excuse for needing to drink in a place that for me is the ultimate intoxicant.

orlandorealtor

CThaddeus said:
If you absolutely cannot survive spending a day at a Disney Park without getting your buzz on, then I would instead suggest you leave and go somewhere like Universal or Busch Gardens. Try living life sober a few hours and see if you can stand it.

Oh my, that's a little dramatic. I think that anyone that has a real 'problem' probably isn't going to go to Epcot and casually walk around the faux countries and sample their beverages. I'd imagine they'd pull a flask out of their pocket and take a pop of wild turkey. And how do these children even know people area drinking? Last time I checked Epcot served beer in red and white Disney cups...not black ones with a skull on it that says "BEER/ALCOHOL".

Legacy

CThaddeus said:
Someone has to stand by El_Chupacabra, and I'm happy to say it will be me. Personally, I've always felt there should not be alcohol at ANY Disney Park. I'm more than twice his age and my opinion has not and will not ever change on this issue. I realize full well that Disney is out to make money wherever they can, but this is one area they should back away from...like they have with cigarettes. People will say they're not the same thing, but they are. They are both drugs, and as such do not belong in full view of children at any time. Call me a prude if you will (it's one of the few areas in which my thinking is not liberal), but this is one issue I'm very passionate about, in great part because I've lost friends and family members to alcohol. Please don't give me the "alcohol doesn't kill people, people kill people" nonsense. And don't give me the "but I only have a drink here and there" speech, either. Children watch and children learn. If you absolutely cannot survive spending a day at a Disney Park without getting your buzz on, then I would instead suggest you leave and go somewhere like Universal or Busch Gardens. Try living life sober a few hours and see if you can stand it. I have very little respect for those who feel the need to brag about how much they've had at EPCOT Center, or how they can drink their way around World Showcase. It doesn't make you look impressive; it makes you look kind of sad. Forgive me for standing on my soapbox here, but there really is no excuse for needing to drink in a place that for me is the ultimate intoxicant.
What about me? I hardly ever drink except for when I go out. I actually drink more in theme parks than I do outside of them. Why? Because a lot of the mixed drinks that Disney makes are frickin' delicious. I get on edge about drinking normally, but when I'm on vacation I want to relax. Worrying about alcohol (or not having alcohol) doesn't help me relax... so I'll have an occassional bear... I'll go to the Sci-Fi Dine In and have a Space Monkey. I'll go to the Poly and have a Backscratcher (or a couple), because I WANT to. Not because I have to.

People seem to automatically think "drinking" equals "drunk". It doesn't. And to imply otherwise is insulting to those who don't get drunk but enjoy drinking.

CThaddeus

The question again remains: can you not survive even a few hours without needing to drink? Just because it's there, doesn't mean you need to do it.
No, I do not believe that just because you drink, you're a drunk; however, it does seem to indicate an addiction if you feel you cannot make it through your Disney day without it. The "great" taste of most alcoholic beverages comes not from the alcohol, but from the juices, sodas, etc. that are added to it. A virgin whatever tastes pretty much the same as the alcoholic version of it, so why do you need the alcohol?
And to orlandorealtor, if you really think kids don't know when you're drinking alcohol, then I think you're seriously underestimating your kids. They're not dumb. Most kids are faster than their parents (maybe because they're sober?), and if nothing else, they can most assuredly smell it on your breath. And if it's okay for mommy and daddy to do it, why shouldn't I? I also feel your comparison to what I'm saying is way more melodramatic.
I realize I won't get anyone to see what I'm saying, because very few think a drink here and there (even in a family place) is a bad thing. I just can't stand to see it in a place that truly doesn't need it.

Legacy

CThaddeus said:
The question again remains: can you not survive even a few hours without needing to drink? Just because it's there, doesn't mean you need to do it.
No, I do not believe that just because you drink, you're a drunk; however, it does seem to indicate an addiction if you feel you cannot make it through your Disney day without it. The "great" taste of most alcoholic beverages comes not from the alcohol, but from the juices, sodas, etc. that are added to it. A virgin whatever tastes pretty much the same as the alcoholic version of it, so why do you need the alcohol?
And to orlandorealtor, if you really think kids don't know when you're drinking alcohol, then I think you're seriously underestimating your kids. They're not dumb. Most kids are faster than their parents (maybe because they're sober?), and if nothing else, they can most assuredly smell it on your breath. And if it's okay for mommy and daddy to do it, why shouldn't I? I also feel your comparison to what I'm saying is way more melodramatic.
I realize I won't get anyone to see what I'm saying, because very few think a drink here and there (even in a family place) is a bad thing. I just can't stand to see it in a place that truly doesn't need it.
Can I? Yes. I have beer and Jager sitting in my refridgerator right now that I haven't touched in over a month. I have felt no desire. My parents also never drank in front of me... and look! I still drink alcohol. It's something that is there and always will be. Hiding it from kids isn't going to prevent them from trying it in the future. There is no reason NOT to have it... aside from your personal opinion.

EDIT- I just caught that last line. Here's a question for you.

Does Disney need turkey legs? Does Disney need Coca-cola products? Does Disney need ice cream bars? Does Disney need the Main Street Bakery? Does Disney need sit-down resturants? Does Disney need Dole-Whips?

No... Disney needs none of those things. Disney doesn't even half to provide food... or shoot, even open the park! It's not something that Disney NEEDS to do. Disney would still be Disney if you starved and died of dehydration on the Tea-cups or not. Disney does it for one reason and one reason only... money. Alcohol is a big money-maker, and I can garuantee that Disney would actually lose some guests (especially foreign ones) if they served no alcohol on property.

The Mak

CThaddeus said:
A virgin whatever tastes pretty much the same as the alcoholic version of it, so why do you need the alcohol?

Alcohol adds bitterness. Each spriit has their own distinct flavor, very few 'virgin' recipies size up to their grown-up cousins in pure taste.

Do you know what a virgin White Russian is? It's an Iced Coffee with way too much milk. Ew.

barnum42

MicBat said:
You can bring a drink on the ride in Mexico and sip it on your way around.

For what it's worth, this is not something I do as I'm not a drinker - because I plain don't like the stuff.

I hope security continues to keep those unable to drink responsibly out of the parks.

CThaddeus

Legacy said:
Can I? Yes. I have beer and Jager sitting in my refridgerator right now that I haven't touched in over a month. I have felt no desire. My parents also never drank in front of me... and look! I still drink alcohol. It's something that is there and always will be. Hiding it from kids isn't going to prevent them from trying it in the future. There is no reason NOT to have it... aside from your personal opinion.

EDIT- I just caught that last line. Here's a question for you.

Does Disney need turkey legs? Does Disney need Coca-cola products? Does Disney need ice cream bars? Does Disney need the Main Street Bakery? Does Disney need sit-down resturants? Does Disney need Dole-Whips?

No... Disney needs none of those things. Disney doesn't even half to provide food... or shoot, even open the park! It's not something that Disney NEEDS to do. Disney would still be Disney if you starved and died of dehydration on the Tea-cups or not. Disney does it for one reason and one reason only... money. Alcohol is a big money-maker, and I can garuantee that Disney would actually lose some guests (especially foreign ones) if they served no alcohol on property.

I mentioned in my first post that I know Disney does it mainly for the profit. But here's the thing - while people CAN survive a day at a Disney Park without drinking alcoholic beverages, they cannot survive a full day without food or regular drink. Disneyland got reamed on its first day because of the lack of water fountains due to the plumbers' strike. Disney would never repeat this incident. You cannot expect to keep a guest happy if you're not willing to provide at least the basics. And do you really think those who love Disney would not come to a Disney Park if it didn't serve alcohol? If true, this is such a sad statement on human beings.
Yes, all of these are my opinions, and no, your disinterest in a particular can of beer in your refirgerator doesn't really impress me. I realize very few (if any) will agree with me, and that's fine. The more the point is argued with me, the more I feel my point is proven. More than anything, I was just sick of reading all the attacks on El_chupacabra just because he is only 16. There are those out there who don't need/want/desire a drink when we go out, and we're able to have an incredible time just the same.
Finally, don't even get me started on how gross those turkey legs are. Just watching how barbaric people look gnawing away at those things all over the Parks makes me ill. At least keep them in a restaurant...

mayoki

CThaddeus said:
Try living life sober a few hours and see if you can stand it. I have very little respect for those who feel the need to brag about how much they've had at EPCOT Center, or how they can drink their way around World Showcase. It doesn't make you look impressive; it makes you look kind of sad.

As someone who has drank around the world many times, with many different people, we had a blast. The only sad part is when it's over. You take the extreme worst case and create a caricature of this mythical "drunk" and apply it to everyone who drinks, and that is a little narrow minded. There is something called resposibility that plays in here, be responsible and know your limits, which 95% of people who choose to have an adult beverage do. Also there is choice, if you choose not to have an alcoholic drink that's fine, but why try and impose your will and values on others by taking my choice away?

gjpjtj

mayoki said:
Also there is choice, if you choose not to have an alcoholic drink that's fine, but why try and impose your will and values on others by taking my choice away?

Well said.
No one at Disney is forcing Alcohol down anyones throats, nor do I feel it is even very obvious that it is being served. As I stated earlier I drank for the first time at EPCOT last year, with 7 or so trips before being drink free. I cannot say that I ever can recall an instance when I said look at all of the beer stands, look at all the drunks, how horrible. To tell you the truth I never even noticed they were there until I went looking for it.
As for the smoking issue, trust me you don't want to open up that can of worms. My opinion on this is that Disney has done a good job of keeping both sides on that issue somewhat happy.
The people like CThaddeus and El_Chupacabra, who want to ban things are the dangerous ones. I know this sounds immature, but you said, can't we go a day at the parks without drinking, (and I have to say it), if it offends you so much, you should make a stand and refuse to go to the parks that serve alcohol. Sounds like we'd all be happier then.

Neverwhere

CThaddeus said:

To imply that people can't get through a day without a drink is rude and very assuming. Sure I can survive. I can also survive without having a Mickey bar, which would be setting a bad example to all those kids because, you know, it's bad for me, or going on Mission Space, because you know it's an intense rush, but you know what, I'm on vacation and I'm going to do every thing possible to make it as fun as possible and that includes having a tasty adult beverage now and then.

The world, even WDW, does not revolve around children. I don't have children. I don't want children. I never plan to have them. But I plan to go to WDW every year from now until the end of time. Why should I have to tailor my vacation to other people's kids? If you are so paranoid that your kids are going to become drunks as adults because they see me having a Marrakesh Express in a clear cup (yeah, sure the kiddos will make that connection too) then perhaps a theme park geared towards ALL members of a family should not be on your list of vacation spots. I'm sure there are places where no drinks are served. Or junk food. Or thrill rides.

You make it sound like WDW is some sort of adult paradise where drunk people are running amuck causing all sorts of scenes. Personally, I've never even noticed a drunk person outside of PI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom