Al Lutz: "Next Generation" RFID personalization coming to Fantasyland attractions

DisneyDellsDude

Gotcha.:D;)

EDIT- This one?
111107738snJrPQ_ph.jpg
I get a red X for the picture.

Disneyson 1

OHMYGOD. That brings back SOO many memories! I have an EPCOT one with the old wand! Unfortunately, mine died during "F!" because it kinda went berserk at the finale.

And on the RFID personalization, how do the characters know your names story-wise?? IT MAKES NO SENSE! At least E.T.'s a magical alien that, like, knows all. Why does Peter, Snow, or Pooh know my name???

EPCOT Explorer

Yep. I can't believe I couldn't find that online.
That's what you get for searching "100 years of magic light up castle pin".:lol:
:lol: Happy to help:wave:
OHMYGOD. That brings back SOO many memories! I have an EPCOT one with the old wand! Unfortunately, mine died during "F!" because it kinda went berserk at the finale.

And on the RFID personalization, how do the characters know your names story-wise?? IT MAKES NO SENSE! At least E.T.'s a magical alien that, like, knows all. Why does Peter, Snow, or Pooh know my name???

I have a full set...and yeah, the wand was new back then. Bad times, bad times.

Also, you can replace the batteries, you know... That must have been quite a sight during F!.:lol:

And of course they know your name!:fork: It's Disney Magic! :lol:

DisneyDellsDude

Sorry for being off topic, but one more thing I just remembered...
Didn't someone have a problem with their pin at a stoplight or something?:ROFLOL:

EPCOT Explorer

Sorry for being off topic, but one more thing I just remembered...
Didn't someone have a problem with their pin at a stoplight or something?:ROFLOL:

Never checked, but when I would get a text or a call on my cell, my pins would go off.

. It was a nice effect if you could see them on their board and the lights were dimmed...:lol::lol:

Disneyson 1

... a stoplight? Like any old stoplight? I don't remember, but I can imagine that, as I wore all 5 of my pins at the same time (most likely not the best idea!) and at least one or two were blinking all the time. My favorites were the blue in GMR and the shimmering to music during Spectro. I think there was a glow at the 180 Top and down the babble tubes as well.

wesTcoastY

This technology could really manipulate guest experience. This will have the ability to ensure that the guests paying the most for their stay at the resort get the best experience in the park. Better fastpass access for one. Fastpass could easily let certain people in more frequently than others. They could tie this in to those spending more getting better service and access allover the park and resort. The technology sounds great but in the end The more you pay the more you'll be able to play.

disnyfan89

This technology could really manipulate guest experience. This will have the ability to ensure that the guests paying the most for their stay at the resort get the best experience in the park. Better fastpass access for one. Fastpass could easily let certain people in more frequently than others. They could tie this in to those spending more getting better service and access allover the park and resort. The technology sounds great but in the end The more you pay the more you'll be able to play.
And this hasn't been happening before? Of course guest who pay the most get the best experiance at Disney World. Better restaruants, dessert at Fant!, better veiw of the parks from their Grand hotel room, private character experiances, and even special vip tour guides. Guest who spend more have always gotten a better experiance.

Rob562

Disney resorts allow you to attach your CC info to your room key to use for purchases in the parks, so some not so honest person could have easily used it if she had her CC info attached..

Just to put your mind at ease, when you enable charging on your room key, Disney does not encode your credit card numebr onto your room key. Nor do purchases immediate get posted to your credit card every time you use it. The purchases "build up" until you hit your charging limit (if you get to that point), and at that point all further charges are declined until you contact your hotel. You can request a printout of your bill at any time, and dispute any charges that you didn't make.

And if you ever realize that your room key is missing, you can simply go to Guest Services at any park, they'll contact your hotel and get the old key cancelled out to minimize the possiblity of unauthorized charging usage.

Also, my bet would be that the RFID chip in these supposed new room keys would be a separate serial number from the magnetic stripe's serial number. They'd still require a swipe of the mag stripe for purchases. That way anyone "skimming" the RFID cards in the park wouldn't have access to the park ticket and account charging features. They'd just be able to get "C'mon, Rob! Off to Neverland!" on Peter Pan's Flight... ;)

-Rob

TP2000

Just a reminder for you...

All of those things you just mentioned, they could have been doing with Fastpass for the past decade. Yes, Fastpass is now 10 years old. And they could have done extra-cost Fastpass for Deluxe hotel guests or Premium Annual Passholders or whoever paid more.

But they haven't done that. For the past decade. And they don't need RFID technology to do that either. It could start tomorrow, or it could have started back in 1999.

But it hasn't.

MiklCraw4d

I've turned up a few interesting tidbits, and I just posted an update about this at Progress City. Apparently this technology involves something called the "Personal Experience Portal", and possibly wristbands called "X-Bands". I'm not really sure what it all means, but Disney's definitely up to something...

EPCOT Explorer

I've turned up a few interesting tidbits, and I just posted an update about this at Progress City. Apparently this technology involves something called the "Personal Experience Portal", and possibly wristbands called "X-Bands". I'm not really sure what it all means, but Disney's definitely up to something...
Ah, that's how I thought they would accomplish this...

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
And this hasn't been happening before? Of course guest who pay the most get the best experiance at Disney World. Better restaruants, dessert at Fant!, better veiw of the parks from their Grand hotel room, private character experiances, and even special vip tour guides. Guest who spend more have always gotten a better experiance.

What a concept....you get more if you pay more....amazing.
Are you saying that everyone should get the same? :rolleyes:
People who buy Cadillacs get a better experience and more perks that those that buy a Kia.

While you seem to be inferring preferential treatment, everyone buying a park ticket has access to the exact same experience. Everyone staying on Disney property from All Star to GF gets the same access. If you worry so much about someone getting something you're not, then you probably won't have a very good time.

disnyfan89

What a concept....you get more if you pay more....amazing.
Are you saying that everyone should get the same? :rolleyes:
People who buy Cadillacs get a better experience and more perks that those that buy a Kia.

While you seem to be inferring preferential treatment, everyone buying a park ticket has access to the exact same experience. Everyone staying on Disney property from All Star to GF gets the same access. If you worry so much about someone getting something you're not, then you probably won't have a very good time.
Please go back and read the comment I was responding too. I could give a rat's ______ about person A getting a better experiance than person B.

wesTcoastY

But in regards to fast pass, the process is pretty transparent. With park admission, except for magic hours, most guests are getting pretty much the same experience...or pretty much the same access. The more technologically advanced things get, folks spending more in the resort as a whole period will get better access that in the past was granted to most who just paid the general admission. Im not saying this in a big bad big brother kind of way, just merely pointing out the opportunities for the technology go way beyond what most might initially think the technology will be used for.

CM comes back saying two of them hadn't been used and the other had been. Guests asks if the CM can tell when. CM says, "May 2, 2007, 9:01 am, Magic Kingdom, gate 4. Would you like to know what fastpasses it was used for?".

Front-line CMs (GR, ticket booth, etc) don't have THAT level of access. It'll show when a ticket was used for entry and at what park, but you can't see fastpass stats or what "gate number".

JimboJones123

This is way too much like having the trunk button on my car keys. I hate it when I go to work in the morning and the trunk has been open all night. I fear much of this going on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom