AKV Kidani vs. OKW

cfry06

Original Poster
Hello everyone,
We are headed to WDW Sept 25th - Oct 4th with 4 adults (DH, Me, my Sis and her boyfriend) and 1 child (DS, 3). Currently we are booked in a 2BR at AKV Kidani b/c Boardwalk wasn't available (still debating a waitlist - as much as I want to try new places, I love BWV!). We've never stayed at AK and it looks beautiful. We also like the idea of three bathrooms. I'm just so darn afraid of feeling so far away from everything...we are pretty big on location and being close to everything. I've been playing around with the idea of the OKW 2BR. The floorplan looks HUGE and that might be nice for this trip since parks close early in Sept, and we may want to have some adult hangout time once little guy heads to bed. We've stayed at POR and SSR, so we are familiar with the area.

Can't seem to decide which is the better option! We're choosing btwn these bc we are trying to conserve pts so we can head back next December. Since we haven't stayed at either, any opinions, tips that might push us one way or the other? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

ParentsOf4

Doing a quick check on Google maps, OKW to the Contemporary (next to the MK's bus stop) is 5.4 miles. Kidani Village is 7.9 miles. Similarly, OKW is about 2 miles closer to DHS and Epcot.

AKV is absolutely beautiful, a "spared no expense" resort with lots of details in the best tradition of Disney.

AKV has 2 separate buildings, Jambo House and Kidani Village, about a 10-minute walk apart. A shuttle van also runs continuously between the two buildings.

Jambo House is where most of the action is. It has the hotel's grand lobby, two table service restaurants, a bar, the food court, a larger pool, and a larger store.

Kidani Village is quieter. It has one table service restaurant and a small store. Its pool is better for smaller children, having a small water park style play area. Its parking is underground, making it more convenient, especially in the Florida sun.

If you want to be in the middle of it all, go with Jambo. If you want to get away from it all, go with Kidani.

The 3 bathrooms in the Kidani 2BR is nice if you need them. We have 4 teenagers so the extra bathroom really comes in handy in the morning. Not sure you need the extra bathroom with two adult couples and a 3 year-old.

The AKV's restaurants and bar blows away anything at OKW.

OKW has lots of fans. However, for my family, it reminds us of a Moderate Resort. Frankly, it sort of reminds us of some of the offsite timeshares we've stayed at.

Purely comparing one resort to the other, it's an easy decision for my family. However, if the extra 2-to-3 miles on the bus is going to bother you, then go with OKW.

lostpro9het

We've stayed at Kidani, Jambo and OKW. IMO, there is no comparison, AKL smashes OKW. We had savanna views in both houses. There are many great activities at AKL for the kids when they are not enjoying the two great pools and the animals. The rooms, we only experienced studios, were far better themed in AKL and were obviously a lot newer and felt that way over the OKW rooms. I suppose if you enjoy the golfing atmosphere feel of a retirement community then OKW may be right up your alley. Again, all just my opinion, but when my kid wants to spend more time at Jambo house than HS I think the place may be pretty awesome.

Last edited:

cfry06

Original Poster
Doing a quick check on Google maps, OKW to the Contemporary (next to the MK's bus stop) is 5.4 miles. Kidani Village is 7.9 miles. Similarly, OKW is about 2 miles closer to DHS and Epcot.

AKV is absolutely beautiful, a "spared no expense" resort with lots of details in the best tradition of Disney.

AKV has 2 separate buildings, Jambo House and Kidani Village, about a 10-minute walk apart. A shuttle van also runs continuously between the two buildings.

Jambo House is where most of the action is. It has the hotel's grand lobby, two table service restaurants, a bar, the food court, a larger pool, and a larger store.

Kidani Village is quieter. It has one table service restaurant and a small store. Its pool is better for smaller children, having a small water park style play area. Its parking is underground, making it more convenient, especially in the Florida sun.

If you want to be in the middle of it all, go with Jambo. If you want to get away from it all, go with Kidani.

The 3 bathrooms in the Kidani 2BR is nice if you need them. We have 4 teenagers so the extra bathroom really comes in handy in the morning. Not sure you need the extra bathroom with two adult couples and a 3 year-old.

The AKV's restaurants and bar blows away anything at OKW.

OKW has lots of fans. However, for my family, it reminds us of a Moderate Resort. Frankly, it sort of reminds us of some of the offsite timeshares we've stayed at.

Purely comparing one resort to the other, it's an easy decision for my family. However, if the extra 2-to-3 miles on the bus is going to bother you, then go with OKW.

Thank you for the feedback! I think we are leaning towards AKV. Love the look of the resort, think my little guy will love it and it will be a very unique experience. Seeing that our trip is a bit longer, we hope to enjoy the resort some also outside of the parks. And I believe AK will have more to offer resort wise vs OKW. The location was our only hold up. Thanks again!

cfry06

Original Poster
We've stayed at Kidani, Jambo and OKW. IMO, there is no comparison, AKL smashes OKW. We had savanna views in both houses. There are many great activities at AKL for the kids when they are not enjoying the two great pools and the animals. The rooms, we only experienced studios, where far better themed in AKL and were obviously a lot newer and felt that way over the OKW rooms. I suppose if you enjoy the golfing atmosphere feel of a retirement community then OKW may be right up your alley. Again, all just my opinion, but when my kid wants to spend more time at Jambo house than HS I think the place may be pretty awesome.

Thanks! I think we are certainly leaning that way! Appreciate others confirming our thoughts:)

NormC

We were just at Kidani in February. Can't wait to go back to Bay Lake Tower, our home resort. AKL is beautifully themed but it just did not fit our family. The animals and cast members are the best part.
The rooms were dark even with all the lights on. It could be a long walk depending on where your room is. No quick service at Kidani killed it for us. We eat all of our breakfasts at the QS and you have to hike to the lobby, catch a shuttle and go to Mara at Jambo. It got old fast. The hall lights are made to look like animal skin drums and most of them were burnt from the light bulbs behind them.

Last edited:

slappy magoo

Were Pleasure Island still open, I might understand choosing OKW since there are so many adults in your party and you want the option of doing some adult things when the parks close early. But seriously, it's no contest. Take the bus to DtD one night with some reservations at Ragland Road if you need to. But AKL/VAK is gorgeous and Victoria Falls i a beautiful lounge. The lobby itself has so many pieces of artwork you could spend more than a night looking around, and there are plenty of employees there who are versed in the culture and the pieces you're looking at and more than happy to tell you more. And there's always hanging out on your own balcony watching the animals. Don't even think twice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom