AKL Sunrise Safari

We are staying at AKL in August and wonder if the Sunrise Safari is worth $55 per person?
It seems to be a private (30-50 people) safari with a little more time to photograph animals and ask questions, afterwhich you have a nice breakfast buffet at Tusker House. Can anyone elaborate on what makes this so much better than a regular KS ride? We've been fortunate in the past to experience 1) a private safari during regular hours and 2) a safari during a rain storm in which every animal came out to cool off. The latter was spectacular.

If you've taken the Sunrise Safari, please tell me if we should, too.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I will actually be doing this myself in about 2 weeks. I will let you know my opinion about it when I get back if you can wait that long.

Pam

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
While waiting for Pam, (whom I'm sure will give you a great report :sohappy: ), you may want to PM Akiriraptor who has done a lot of WDW tours including I believe both the sunrise and sunset tours at AK.

Upvote 0

Iakona

We have done the Sunrise Safari twice and will do it again.

A couple of points:

This is a much more relaxing safari than the regular tour.

You have a (I forget the official term) CM that actually works with the animals (last year we had a Veterinarian from Tufts University here in MA. that was from my hometown) and they will talk about the animals and allow you to ask questions.

You have a great opportunity to take pictures because they go slower and stop for much longer periods of time.

The breakfast is absolutely delicious. You will love it and if you want recipes the Chef will come and speak with you.

Some caveats:
The animals are being released (sometimes as you are on the safari) so sometimes it is hot or miss as to what animals you see.

Our first Sunrise Safari we saw almost everything and even had a Rhino following us. An Ostrich was pretty much face to face with us as well.

This year we saw a little less, but we got a nice view of the Cheetahs.

Pam,
You will be spoiled after doing concierge at AKL. If Bob is there tell him hi from us. He was (again) outstanding. He actually remembered us from last year and treated the whole family like VIPs.
I do recommend the Sunrise Safari and I hope you have fun!

Upvote 0

crazycalf

It was really cool. It is like the standard safari, in the same vechile except you stop along the way and they do not stick to the Warden Wilson script. However they do stay on the same course. Try to sit in the front of the vechile. We were able to easily ask questions to the guide or the driver. You get the safari plus the breakfast, which is not the normal park food, in a private room at the Tusker House. This was our table at Tusker House

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/crazycalf/Honeymoon182.jpg

If you are already at concierge, the Wanyama (sp) Safari around the lodge is worth it too. It is kind of expensive, but it includes dinner at Jiko. The special safari vechile drives around the lodge savanas and very close to some of the animals.

There is also another safari for all concierge guests, at any hotel. It takes a special vechile around the AK safari. It goes off of the regular safari path. You learn pretty much the same things as the sunrise safari but it does not include breakfast. It is still about $50, I think. It was nice because it was more intimate. I think the max is 12 people.

If you have any more questions about any of these 3 tours, feel free to ask.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Iakona said:
Pam,
You will be spoiled after doing concierge at AKL. If Bob is there tell him hi from us. He was (again) outstanding. He actually remembered us from last year and treated the whole family like VIPs.
I do recommend the Sunrise Safari and I hope you have fun!

I can't wait to go. I have not been down since July. I'm taking my oldest daughter for her birthday. I will be sure to mention you to Bob.

Pam

Upvote 0

kingspade

YES YES YES---the price is absolutely worth it!! I just loved the sunrise safari.
I did it in January and Courtney, an AKL animal keeper was our tour guide. You arrive at AK via a backstage route and see all the barns of AK and learn about how the animals are taken care of. Then you enter the park backstage right next to KS and board the regular vehicle. For us, the KS portion of the tour lasted over an hour and we stopped near all of the animals to take photos. All of the animals were out except the newest baby elephant and the lions were so active!! I took over 500 pictures on this tour alone. Then you have the INCREDIBLE breakfast at Tusker House (almost worth the price by itself :slurp: ) which features this amazing banana french toast among other things. If you like the regular KS and you enjoy learning about animals, you will love doing this. I highly recommend it and will be doing it again for sure!! Hope this helps a little.

:wave:

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Kingdom Konsultant said:
I can't wait to go. I have not been down since July. I'm taking my oldest daughter for her birthday. I will be sure to mention you to Bob.

Pam
Pam, have a great time, we will be going the week after Easter and I will try to get more of the guides for you, and I promise to get them to you alot sooner. By the way were you able to get an answer for Lisa? she was wondering, thanks.
Craig

Upvote 0

ConstanceIrene

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone, for the reviews of past and soon-to-happen Sunrise Safaris. It does sound like a lot of fun. The only problem is that, with my husband and two daughters, our tab would be $220 not $55 so I'm still weighing the pros and cons.
If I fell into a bucket of cash I'd definitely book the Sunset Safari. That sounds incredible!

Once again, thank you and Pam, I'm looking forward to your review.

Upvote 0

Tigger64

kingspade said:
YES YES YES---the price is absolutely worth it!! I just loved the sunrise safari.
I did it in January and Courtney, an AKL animal keeper was our tour guide. You arrive at AK via a backstage route and see all the barns of AK and learn about how the animals are taken care of. Then you enter the park backstage right next to KS and board the regular vehicle. For us, the KS portion of the tour lasted over an hour and we stopped near all of the animals to take photos. All of the animals were out except the newest baby elephant and the lions were so active!! I took over 500 pictures on this tour alone. Then you have the INCREDIBLE breakfast at Tusker House (almost worth the price by itself :slurp: ) which features this amazing banana french toast among other things. If you like the regular KS and you enjoy learning about animals, you will love doing this. I highly recommend it and will be doing it again for sure!! Hope this helps a little.

:wave:

We went last June. It was incredible. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!! Any idea how to get the recipe for that French Toast? It was the best I've ever had.

Upvote 0

ConstanceIrene

Original Poster
Tigger64 said:
We went last June. It was incredible. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!! Any idea how to get the recipe for that French Toast? It was the best I've ever had.

I don't know if this is the same French Toast, but here's a recipe for Tonga Toast, which was served at the Kona Cafe at the Polynesian as of Winter 2000/2001. It was printed in Disney magazine, which I miss terribly:(.

1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 loaf of sourdough
bread (8 inches long)
2 bananas, peeled
1 quart canola oil, for frying

Mix the sugar and cinnamon with a fork until thoroughly blended, and set aside. Slice the bread into four two-inch-thick slices. Cut each banana in half crosswise. Place a bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle (do not tear all the way through) to stuff half a banana into; repeat with each bread slice.
In a large pot or a deep fryer, heat the oil to 350 degrees; use a candy thermometer to make certain the oil does not get any hotter, or it will burn. Gently place one bread slice into the oil for 1 minute or until light brown. Turn and fry for another minute on the other side. Remove bread from the pot and toss it is the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Repeat for each piece. Serves 4.

Upvote 0

ConstanceIrene

Original Poster
Sorry. The person who posted about the French toast said that it was banana french toast so I figured this might be it.

You're right about the arteries! Yikes!

Upvote 0

Iakona

ConstanceIrene said:
Sorry. The person who posted about the French toast said that it was banana french toast so I figured this might be it.

You're right about the arteries! Yikes!

Actually I think the the Tonga Toast and the French toast at the Tusker House is the same recipe. I am not big on bananas so I was suprised that the french toast at Tusker had them when we did the safari in January.

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Iakona said:
Actually I think the the Tonga Toast and the French toast at the Tusker House is the same recipe. I am not big on bananas so I was suprised that the french toast at Tusker had them when we did the safari in January.

if they put powdered sugar on it we can all say BAM!:slurp:

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

They also have bannana stuffed french toast at Boatwright's in POR. I absolutely love it, but I always get it without the sugar on it and the strawberry-bannana sauce on the side.

Great idea, I think I'd like the Bam on my french toast, have to ask for it next time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom