AKL Questions????

Caseyis8

Hello. I am a WDW addict even though we only get there every three years, it would be a couple times a year if I had my way or if my budget allowed. :) Anyways, next time that we go will probably be in 2007 and we, my husband and our son and myself, will be going alone. We usually go with my parents and stay off-site in a house with a pool, but this time I would like us to go alone and stay on-site since neither my husband or I want to try driving in Orlando. My husband is not as big of a WDW fan as myself but he has stated that he really thinks that the AKL looks really great and he would like to stay there with a view of the Savanah. My question for all of you is that I have read such mixed reviews about this resort and am worried about the construction that will be taking place for the new DVC. We are laid back people and when we go we will be there for ten days so that we have time to take advantage of the resort we stay at but I read that the service at this resort is spotty at best. Plus, if the construction will be going on will it effect the other areas of the resort? I just don't want to have cranes and the such make us feel like we are in the middle of a work zone. Could any of you fellow posters who have stayed at the AKL could give me your perspective of this resort, it would be greatly appreciated.:)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
DS and I were there in February. It was beautiful! We never had any issues with service and loved the savanna view.

As I understand it, they'll be remodelling suite in the current buildings for DVC first and then building a new DVC building later. The remodelling will likely have some, but not significant impact on guests. The new building will be separate from the current lodge as far as I know and construction would probably not be noticeable.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I'm sure negative things have been written about AKL, but I swear, I really can't recall one negative comment anywhere about anything to do with AKL (except some people find Boma food too exotic. They are wrong). AKL is extraordinary

Upvote 0

Ham

We stayed there for one night at the end of our holiday last month and upgraded to the savannah view. It was good for one night but I think I'd have to ask myself if I was staying any longer how much time am I really going to spend looking out my window. Otherwise though great hotel, Boma was also excellent, was just sorry I didn't have time to try Jiko.

Have you considered resort hopping as well if you haven't stayed on site before? There is another thread recently about how easy it is

:xmas:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
IMHO it is the best resort on property. No where else do you have the complete detachment from reality that you do at AKL. I would not worry too much about the construction. Disney has turned concealing construction into an art form. Disturbance will be minimal if at all.

Upvote 0

campdisney

AKL is our second favorite hotel on property (1st is Polynesian). There is a complete sense of departure from the ordinary once you enter there. We all enjoyed waking up with the animals every day, looking at the veiwing guide, trying to identify who was outside our window. I'd recommend a savannah view for that reason -- but if budget doesn't allow, there are plenty of places throughout the resort to animal gaze. My sister had a pool veiw our last trip together and it was quite lovely at night with all the lights twinkling.

I've only ever had one issue with service there (housekeeping forgot to clean our room on day) and it was taken care of right away. Everything else was fantastic! Even when our budget doesn't allow us to stay there, we always go back to see the animals, dine at Boma and explore the fantastic gift shop they have.

We really wanted to stay there again in January, but unfortunately there wasn't enough of an AP discount offered on the rooms this time so we opted for a moderate instead. Maybe in 2008.

Upvote 0

rainbodragon

We just got back from staying at AKL wed night. The room was beautiful, the whole hotel was beautiful. I would say that the guest services were the worst we have experienced though. We didn't recieve a folder with all the info and times sheets and stuff as we have before, and the woman checking us in was abrupt and impatient, we weren't even asked if we needed help with our bags. The woman in the gift shop asked if we would like some drinks, and when we said yes, she acted like she had to treck across the actual savannah to get them. The woman at concierge, I have to say was very nice and helpful.

All in all, I would say the hotel itself is wonderful, but we recieved much better service at Pop (go figure).

If I was going to go back though, I would go for concierge and do the sunrise safari.

Upvote 0

MSTCrow

Animal Kingdom Lodge is absolutely beautfiul. The savannahs and the impressive main lobby are entertainment in and of themselves. It's the kind of thing you just don't find at an off site hotel, nor at most other Disney resorts. Boma is a must-eat restaurant!

On the other hand, the cost is extraordinary and the rooms themselves aren't spectacular. Paying for a savannah view makes your stay even more expensive and it isn't worth it when you can just take a short walk to see the animals. Then there's the argument about how much time you'll spend in your room in the first place.

One more thing. Animal Kingdom Lodge is way out there. If you're planning to rely on Disney's bus service, tack on some extra time getting to and from 3 out of the 4 parks.

That said, my advice is to go ahead and stay there as this is a special occasion for you.

Upvote 0
AKL is great

My wife and I have stayed at AKL 3 times over the past few years. We love the resort and can't wait to introduce it to our daughter when she is old enough to visit. The early reports of the construction indicate that most of the DVC work will be going on with rooms that overlook the Sunset Savannah. I personally like the Arusha Savannah better. While you are not guranteed anything I would suggest that you request the Arusah Savannah on the Zebra Trail (link to map from AllEars.net http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/aklmap3.jpg ) when you make your reservation. That will give you a view of the heart of the resort and hopefully keep you out of the construction.

On a more expensive note, if you are an Annual Passholder or if Disney offers any deals for the time you are traveling you may want to consider the concierge level of the resort. The food they bring out is from Boma and Jiko (two top notch restaurants) and it is almost always well stocked. Plus they bring out some wine and great desserts in the evening. There is also access to special tours if you are staying in the concierge rooms. If you think you may be spending a fair amount of time at the hotel hanging around the pool or just resting the investment may be worth it for you.

Have a great trip.

Upvote 0
Bus Travel

Looks like the bus debate may get started so I'd like to just make the following note. AKL does not share its bus route with any other resort. We never had a problem getting fairly quickly to and from any of the parks. (We've had maybe 3 20 minute waits for a bus in our last three trips.) Just as an example we've found it is faster to get to Downtown Disney from AKL than from Wilderness Lodge. This is because the WL route also stops at the campground and has stopped at Grand Floridian as well.

While the actual drive time is a bit longer I think the bus is still fast.

Upvote 0

Caseyis8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

All of you have been helpful. If the choice were just up to me I would stay at the POR since they have fishing, boat rentals and the boat to DTD, but my husband finally seemed to get interested in this hotel so I better go with it since he is not what people would probably call a WDW "fanatic" like myself. :) I have always wanted to stay at this resort so we will probably choose this one. I have heard great things about the WL and was also considering that one but we live an hour north of the Wisconsin Dells and there is a fantastic WL there that we stay at when we do our summer vacation so I think that it would be kind of redundant to stay at one down in WDW, but the MK view would be great to have every night. Anyways, more opinions either pro or con would be greatly appreciated about the AKL. I know that this resort is located off the beated path but that is a positive for my family. After the crowds of the parks we like to have some space which is why we normally rent a house. :zipit:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I'm sure negative things have been written about AKL, but I swear, I really can't recall one negative comment anywhere about anything to do with AKL (except some people find Boma food too exotic. They are wrong). AKL is extraordinary

I do agree that AKL Is an amazing resort. This is one of the more impressive Deluxe resorts I have been in. Jiko is AMAZING for dinner and Boma is just great for breakfast. I do feel Boma is a touch too exotic for my taste buds for dinner. I Am not wrong in the slightest. It is simply a preference. I find in Jiko I can tone down the spices as the food is made to order which suits my palate. For the more adventurous, by all means go for it!!! Boma is a great restaurant in general, just not suited to my tastes for dinner only. Breakfast is more mainstream which is probably why it is my favorite non character buffet on property!! Belle

Upvote 0

summergirl32

My family stayed at AKL 3 years ago and loved it. Our favorite place is around the fire outside in the rocking chairs. We visit there every trip to have dinner either at Boma or Jiko and then we sit by the fire. The pool is the best one on property as far as I am concerned and it has been the most relaxing resort we have stayed in. The only problem we had was at check in. The cast member could not answer our questions, barely spoke English and became annoyed when we asked him to repeat himself.
M

Upvote 0
We stayed at AKL last summer for 3 nights at the concierge level before heading to the Boardwalk for a week. I couldn't wait to get back to this exotic resort each day for a glass of South African wine enjoyed in a big straw chair in the lounge that overlooked the immense lobby. My husband said the South African beer was very good, too. The atmosphere is something to be experienced and I mean that in the best way. We're going to spend a few nights there again this summer. Be sure to take the time to really explore this place. There are African artifacts in every hallway on every floor.
The only thing I'd recommend is to bring your own lighted make-up mirror. The rooms are not brightly lit at all, compared to the Boardwalk.

Upvote 0

Jazmine's man

AKL is a fine hotel, just ask for a room close to the lobby or you could be walking a long ways. And busing can be a pain sometimes, because of the distance.:animwink:

Upvote 0

Iakona

AKL is a fine hotel, just ask for a room close to the lobby or you could be walking a long ways. And busing can be a pain sometimes, because of the distance.:animwink:

You can get stuck pretty far away from the lobby if you don't get a room close to the lobby.

We have stayed at AKL 3 times and never had an issue with the bus service. Some parks are further than others, but this is true for every resort.

I would love to be located by the lobby, but are the Savannah views okay as far as the animals coming close?

Well, the rooms have a greta view of the savannah, but the animals do roam within their area. The keepers do "plant" food in spots that give the guests a very good view of them.

It was expensive, but by far it's our families' favorite hotel. It's just a remarkable property and so very unique! A true must see IMHO!

We agree. We stay concierge level as well; expensive, but we love it.

We stayed there for one night at the end of our holiday last month and upgraded to the savannah view. It was good for one night but I think I'd have to ask myself if I was staying any longer how much time am I really going to spend looking out my window. Otherwise though great hotel, Boma was also excellent, was just sorry I didn't have time to try Jiko.

Every morning, afternoon (if you come back for a rest) and evening when you get back to the room. My wife, son and I find the views of the animals amazingly relaxing and magical, so we take a look every chance we get.

If I was going to go back though, I would go for concierge and do the sunrise safari.

We have done this a couple of times and love it. Concierge is excellent and the sunrise safari is great, especially the breakfast at Tusker House after wards.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is absolutely beautfiul. The savannahs and the impressive main lobby are entertainment in and of themselves. It's the kind of thing you just don't find at an off site hotel, nor at most other Disney resorts. Boma is a must-eat restaurant!

On the other hand, the cost is extraordinary and the rooms themselves aren't spectacular. Paying for a savannah view makes your stay even more expensive and it isn't worth it when you can just take a short walk to see the animals. Then there's the argument about how much time you'll spend in your room in the first place.

One more thing. Animal Kingdom Lodge is way out there. If you're planning to rely on Disney's bus service, tack on some extra time getting to and from 3 out of the 4 parks.
That said, my advice is to go ahead and stay there as this is a special occasion for you.

Highly disagree with you about the Savannah view not being worth it. To each their own, but in my opinion the Savannah view is integral to the experience of AKL.
My son and I stayed at Coronado Springs and I found myself getting very frustrated with the bus service and times there. Even though AKL was further the buses seemed to be more plentiful.

My wife and I have stayed at AKL 3 times over the past few years. We love the resort and can't wait to introduce it to our daughter when she is old enough to visit. The early reports of the construction indicate that most of the DVC work will be going on with rooms that overlook the Sunset Savannah. I personally like the Arusha Savannah better. While you are not guranteed anything I would suggest that you request the Arusah Savannah on the Zebra Trail (link to map from AllEars.net http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/aklmap3.jpg ) when you make your reservation. That will give you a view of the heart of the resort and hopefully keep you out of the construction.

On a more expensive note, if you are an Annual Passholder or if Disney offers any deals for the time you are traveling you may want to consider the concierge level of the resort. The food they bring out is from Boma and Jiko (two top notch restaurants) and it is almost always well stocked. Plus they bring out some wine and great desserts in the evening. There is also access to special tours if you are staying in the concierge rooms. If you think you may be spending a fair amount of time at the hotel hanging around the pool or just resting the investment may be worth it for you.

Have a great trip.

These are some great suggestions, especially regarding a room on Arusha.
We love concierge level at AKL and the CMs here are top notch as is the food and wine.

Upvote 0

tunaman68

We had a savanah view with bunk beds and it was just a great room for us (wife and kids age 9 and 12).

We don't do a park on the day we arrive, so there's lots of time to hang at the hotel the first day. A great suggestion that someone gave us is to get a pizza from the food court, and then take it back to the room and sit on the patio and eat your pizza while you watch the critters! So awesome. If you time it with the evening feeding (the keepers drive around in their trucks and place food for the animals) you can all have dinner together! :)

We found the bus service to be at least as good as any other hotel, and less crowded than the bigger properties (POR and CBR) especially at closing time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom