AKL or CSR

thewhitequeen

We're usually YC/BC people but looking to switch it up a little this fall. I know CSR is a moderate but it looks like a nice place in the pics. The prices for AKL and CSR aren't that far off so what would you do? AKL seems like a hike to the parks while CSR is closer.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
AKL is by far my favorite resort on property. The resort itself is simply breathtaking....almost an attraction in itself. Where else can you go out on your balcony and watch giraffes and gazelles? It houses 2 of the best restaurants on property. I like the fact that the resort is off the beaten path. It provides that complete separation from reality that I love. It might add 10 minutes tops to your travel time but you really fell like you are on another part of the planet when you are there. You will definitely want to get a Savannah view room for the full experience.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

We have stayed at both and if AKL is in your price range then I would say go for it. I thought the resort was awesome. So much to look at and see. The CM are full of great info and I could have talked with them forever. I myself have been there and done it once and dont think i would go back but very glad we tried. I spent more time on the watching the sites from our room then at any other resort. CSR is nice but we are spoiled by delux.

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

If you are going to get a savannah room and dine at Boma and Jiko a lot, AKL would be a great choice. But if you are going to dine at many other locations of the resort and just get a standard room, I'd save the money and go with CSR. The main pool are at CSR is bigger and has a great slide. Both have queen beds.

Upvote 0

Master Gracey 5

We stayed at AKL a few years back and enjoyed it immensely. As Yoda said, the detail and theme of the resort is top notch and an attraction in itself. The rooms are larger than they would be at Coronado and nicely furnished. We didn't have a savanna view, but there are viewing stations on every floor at different points so you can see the animals. The lobby is spectacular and there are several nice food options for you. Being off the beaten path isn't much of a problem unless you're heading back from MK at 1am, in which case any drive is too long! If you can afford the deluxe resort, I'd recommend a stay at AKL.

Upvote 0

wizards8507

I second Yoda. Particularly with the addition of Sanaa to Jiko and Boma, AKL is an awesome opportunity to sample some food that you might not have tried at any other point in your life. Granted, you can enjoy these restaurants while staying at ANY resort, but I'd strongly suggest AKL if it's in your budget.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not necessarily. I know plenty of people who are put off by the "sterile" nature of the Contemporary or the "aloof" nature of the Grand Floridian.
I would be one of those. While I love the sterility of the Contemporary the GF has zero appeal for me aside from location.

Upvote 0
we're usually yc/bc people but looking to switch it up a little this fall. I know csr is a moderate but it looks like a nice place in the pics. The prices for akl and csr aren't that far off so what would you do? Akl seems like a hike to the parks while csr is closer.

the poly>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:roflol:

Upvote 0

jjgoo

AKL all the way!

We stayed at the AKL the year after staying at CSR which was a year after staying at BC. Ever since staying at AKL we have had a hard time even thinking of staying anywhere else.

Last year we bought into DVC at AKL. We have stayed at both Jambo house and Kidani we also have stayed in a parking lot view at Jambo.

AKL is just plainly a nicer resort. We actually really liked CSR and thought it had a nice serene atmosphere, good bus service (or we were very lucky), very friendly staff and a nice theme. Still hands down AKL is better for our sensibilities.

We love the food: even the Mara has different offerings than the normal fair.
Being able to see the animals all the time can't be beat. Be sure to do the night vision and get a savanah view if possible.
The atmoshphere is really incredible. There are all sorts of things to see and do and nice areas to just sit and relax.

We like AKL so much that we typically spend at least one day, sometimes two, just relaxing at the hotel and enjoying everything it has to offer.

Upvote 0

worldfanatic

The AKL is a truly amazing place. It's got everything an awesome resort could need!
The only drawback for some is it's off the beaten track location. But many don't mind that.

CSR is nice, but IMO, can't even compare to the experience AKL provides.

Upvote 0
The Magic Kingdom will be your longest trip to a park - so if you have little ones that are going to want to be at MK day in and day out, I might recommend the CBR.

Having said that (and having never stayed at CBR), 80% of the posts I've seen about the CBR is their bus service issues - apparently the bus goes throughout the resort and stops at each section before continuing to the parks. I would absolutely hate this.

The AKL is beautiful - and if you don't care about a little bit longer of a bus ride, go for it!

Upvote 0

stlbobby

In the world of resorts-

Deluxe trumps Moderate.
Moderate trumps Value.

:)

That's not always true. It totally depends on your tastes.

I would take any Value over any Moderate. All Star Movies is one of my favorite resorts on property period. I love the theming and the energy.

Port Orleans is nice, but it is way too laid back for me, and Coronado Springs was designed to capitalize on the conference and business travel market and it shows. Caribbean Beach is my favorite of the Mods, but even if they were the same price I'd choose All Stars every time. My only qualm is the lack of hot tubs at the Values.

I think when you take price into consideration the amenities provided by a Moderate over a Value just aren't worth it. If I'm going to upgrade I always go to the Deluxe level because the amenities and locations there are worth the price.

Upvote 0

stlbobby

To the OP. If you are into watching the animals then go with AKL. It is a unique experience and a very relaxing place.

If you are considering the CSR just to get into the Moderate price range I would suggest the Caribbean Beach Resort. It has a way better theme and more amenities for families. Where CSR put efforts into a business center CBR put it into more child friendly attractions. And while CBR is much larger than the CSR the layout makes it feel much more intimate.

The previous poster was correct that there are more bus stops, and the buses do hit them all on the way to and from the parks, but I have never understood why people get upset about this (it is also cited as a downfall of OKW, SS, and the All Stars) to me more stops means I don't have to walk as far to get to one. Places like CSR and PO have fewer stops but your room may be quite a hike from those stops. Even the Poly and GF can have this problem.

Upvote 0

polynesiangirl

I vote AKL. I seem to like it more and more as it ages. We stayed there the very first night it was taking reservations years ago and while it was very impressive /different at the time, it just didn't feel...grown-in yet. Now every time we're over there (e.g. for dinner,) I love just wandering around and taking it all in. I'm strongly considering it for our next trip, even though I have a pretty strong allegiance to my beloved Polynesian. ;)

Upvote 0

disneypearl

Well, I am usually at Pop Century or at another value so I can stay longer. I usually just use my resort as a place to sleep anyway. I was lucky enough to stay at Coronado Springs for a few nights during a split resort stay. I have to say that Coronado was so beautiful and I loved it. I have visited AKL to see see the Christmas decorations and it is wonderful also. I am sure that there are positives for both and it seems like a fun decision to make. You won't go wrong with whatever one you pick.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

CSR is my fav moderate but given the opportunity to choose between CSR and AKL i'd choose AKL. We ate there on our last trip (helllllo zebra dome!!) and wandered around for a while. The views were unsurpassed. It was very relaxing. AK was very close but it is far from everything else....especially the MK where we spend a lot of our time with littles.

With that said, on our next trip we are debating between AKL and WL....very undecided. We have never stayed at either but love the feel of being at both. What to do what to do?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom