AK worker injured

tigsmom

OrlandoSentinel.com

Central Florida In Brief

Disney worker in 'grave condition' after falling from ride platform

3:22 PM EST, November 29, 2007
BAY LAKE

A Walt Disney World employee remains hospitalized in 'grave condition' after falling from a ride platform Saturday at Animal Kingdom.

The female employee, 63, was hit by a moving car on Primeval Whirl, a roller-coaster-like ride, and was taken by ambulance to a hospital, said Jacquee Polak, Disney spokeswoman.

Polak did not release the worker's name.

The woman was working as a ride attendant and moved into an area on the ride platform that is prohibited while the ride is moving, Polak said. She fell and hit her head after being hit by the moving ride.

The victim's family contacted Disney officials Wednesday and said the woman's condition had worsened, Polak said.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating and the Orange County Sheriff's Office was notified of the incident, Polak said. A sheriff's spokesman said he could not find a report of the incident Wednesday night.

Copyright © 2007, Orlando Sentinel

bigtotoro

Certainly, I agree...I wasn't meaning to debate whose at fault here, my intention was to try and answer a question you asked in your post here, at least it seemed like a question to me.
And you're right, it was. Thanks for the insight. But certain things have come to light since then that tells me that maybe we should lay off this one for a few days.

jonnykeogh

I hope she recovers. Terrible news. But that ride is labelled as a childrens ride, when i went on it it jolted me so much it actually hurt. probably the worst ride ever. if it wasnt ever there, that would not have happened. and i think AK should have binned that ride. most importantly though, i hope the poor girl is ok

DisneyGigi

Poor woman. I was just on that ride on Friday. I can't imagine if I had witnessed that.

One of the worst memories that I have is being at the beach one year walking and picking up shells when a man was pulled out of the surf, apparently he had had a heart attack and drowned. I felt so bad for his family.:(

Life is a fragile thing. Alot more fragile than we realize sometimes. Accidents can happen anywhere anytime.
I pray that this woman can recover and I pray for her family and what they are going through.

Praying for her and her family up here in Michigan too.
I hope the retractions of the retracted stories are correct, I hope shes OK.

(This was Primeevil Whirl right? why do i keep seeing it was a children's ride? it has one of the highest hight requirements in the parks i think i remember (48" , same as RNR). Just curious as to the the "children's ride" label i've seen in here")

editor

This site always thinks of the bottom line - the injuried and those left behind - I admire you all for this. I add my thoughts to the family.

On the matter of the incident, I am having problems resolving why the Occupational Safety and Health Administration was not notified at the time (they have already reported concern), also the Orange County Sheriff's Office states they were not told till Wednesday. And on a number of CM forums we hear that incidents at AK are much higher. Any observations?

Captain Chaos

yeah, well - something similar with fatal consequences contributed to getting the Skyway closed at Magic Kingdom, didn't it?

best wishes to the poor employee - get well soon!

Yet, Mission: Space remains open... Remember, more people died as a result of that ride... Ohh yea, and there are other rides in Disney which people died on, whether it be an accident or whatever, and those rides weren't closed.. This was a tragic accident, but Dinorama needs not be closed for this reason....

Pray for the injured worker and her family... not campaign for something you don't like to be closed...

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I think OSHA doesn't have to be called if the person is awake and breathing. In short, for all intents and purposes she fell and hit her head - but was doing "well" for someone who did that.

If i wacked my head and needed stitches but had no other problem, i wouldn't expect disney to call OSHA either.

Captain Chaos

I think OSHA doesn't have to be called if the person is awake and breathing. In short, for all intents and purposes she fell and hit her head - but was doing "well" for someone who did that.

If i wacked my head and needed stitches but had no other problem, i wouldn't expect disney to call OSHA either.

Exactly... and if your injuries worsened later on or the next day as a result of this accident, then they would call them in... But, it was a bump to begin with, then no need to call...

I still feel terrible for this woman.. I really hope she recovers....

editor

I was of the impression if you were 'walking wounded' then the OSHA did not need to be involved, but if the person was hospitalized then they needed to be informed - the same for the sherif department. She was taken by ambulance, which meant they should have been contacted.

The report into the incident has now been postponed till next week!

captcanada

This news makes me want to cry.
And I don't cry often.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends, and of course the departed CM.

DisneyGigi

I was of the impression if you were 'walking wounded' then the OSHA did not need to be involved, but if the person was hospitalized then they needed to be informed - the same for the sherif department. She was taken by ambulance, which meant they should have been contacted.

The report into the incident has now been postponed till next week!

They do not have to be notified immediately .... but the major factor is the CM and her condition (and if the last post is true then this is very disrespectful to be pondering guilt whether it be the ride because you think it is rough or is it Disney's fault) not what should have been done at this point and how it was reported to OSHA.
Accidents happen there doesn't have to be fault somewhere all the time.

editor

At no time did my comments talk of fault - you are the one mentioning it! I will wait for the OSHA report before going down that path.

I am very tired of comments that attack those that ask a question - YES accidents happen, but a tried and test reporting structure is seen to have been ignored and now the person questioning the situation is attacked!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom