AK updates- Dinosaur and Everest

ttalovebug

Original Poster
Hey guys, I was at AK yesterday and have not visited the park in a few months, so sorry if this is old news.

While riding Dinosaur I noticed something strange. Now we all know that the Pterodactyl and the compsognathus don't work, and haven't worked in years. But they've always been lit up, despite being stationary. Yesterday, neither of them were. They were mentioned in the ride audio and the sound effects were there, but you couldn't see them at all. As a result, a good chunk of the ride was in total darkness. Is this new? I can't imagine why they would turn the lights off, that's the way they've been for years. Unless they're being worked on, which would be awesome, but that's highly unlikely, right?

As for the Yeti, he was in D mode- D as in darkness. The scene was pitch black.

cheezbat

either that, or the lights that lit them up burned out and the company is trying to save money by not replacing them!:ROFLOL:

askmike1

Hey guys, I was at AK yesterday and have not visited the park in a few months, so sorry if this is old news.

While riding Dinosaur I noticed something strange. Now we all know that the Pterodactyl and the compsognathus don't work, and haven't worked in years. But they've always been lit up, despite being stationary. Yesterday, neither of them were. They were mentioned in the ride audio and the sound effects were there, but you couldn't see them at all. As a result, a good chunk of the ride was in total darkness. Is this new? I can't imagine why they would turn the lights off, that's the way they've been for years. Unless they're being worked on, which would be awesome, but that's highly unlikely, right?

Yeti was dark on Saturday as well. Anyone know if he was lit for the big Everest party that happened earlier this month?

MerlinTheGoat

I rode Everest 3 times in a row about a week ago (i think it was somewhere around Saturday the 5th or something, can't recall exactly). At that time, the Yeti was in disco mode and lit up. Can't say past that, went to AK yesterday but didn't ride anything but the Safaris (and did the shows).

RSoxNo1

I was there on Monday the 7th.

The Yeti had a flash of light very late, and it was not multiple flashes of light. It would have been easy to miss him.

We saw the pteradactyl, and I believe we saw the smaller dinosaurs (are those the compsognathi?) being illuminated overhead where they shine a light on one, and then another, etc.

floridabill

And with all of this tragedy in japan and tokyo, disneyland tokyo and disney sea will be closed for 10 days! which means not making money. That leads me to believe that disney as a whole will make even more cuts, and WDW LOVES to do that enough as it is! Pretty soon it will be paper dinosaurs and no yeti at all! the ripple effect will be devastating.

stitch2008

Another site had a report on the yeti. The report said it was dark abd looked like there was a wall up around him.

MUTZIE77

Of course as soon as I start a thread on the yeti I see this thread from yesterday. Anywho, I rode a few times in the past several days and the yeti was in "Sounds Dangerous" mode. No strobes, no red lights, just complete darkness and ferocious roars. I also did not see the Pterodactyl on Dinosaur either.

IWant2GoNow

If anyone's going to be at DAK today they should snap a flash photo on the ride. Find out what's going on.

Can't harm the show at the moment... :lol:

Pioneer Hall

Definitely sounds like some sort of work might be getting done here. While it really is bad show, I guess beggers can't be choosy (even though that really isn't the right attitude to have with Disney).

raven

I'll be there wed. Will let you know, if there on I bet WDI is working on them.

Not WDI's worry anymore unless it goes under renovation. Once the ride opens all of the upkeep is handed over to the Maintenance department. They are the only ones in charge of making sure everything is in proper running order and lit. They are there all day and all night. But some rides are highly neglected because management doesn't check on them while they sleep in their lair. They simply keep the ride moving and that's all that's on their agenda.

IWant2GoNow

"D" Mode could stand for any number of things at this stage.

Disco Mode
Dark Mode
Disabled Mode
Disrepair Mode
Dead Mode
Depeche Mode

:lookaroun

I would hope right now though that it is in "Disassemble To Make Way for Yeti 2.0 Mode". But that is doubtful.

akritas

Another site had a report on the yeti. The report said it was dark abd looked like there was a wall up around him.

A wall sounds promising (unless it is the permanent introduction of the NEW! Yeti Roars at You Behind a Plywood Wall Mode) . Any link for this report?

wolf359

Didn't a wall or tarp go up around this same time last year? I remember a lot of speculation last spring that they were working on the Yeti then, even though nothing actually happened...

IWant2GoNow

Didn't a wall or tarp go up around this same time last year? I remember a lot of speculation last spring that they were working on the Yeti then, even though nothing actually happened...

This was in the first week of June last year. I was there and rode it trying to look for Disco Yeti and all I got was nothingness and a lot of questions from my friends who were first-timers.

I checked the forums here because I was going to post on it, but someone had beat me to it. There was a tarp up for about 1-2 weeks starting in early June.

A wall would be phenomenal right now if, and only if, this was the beginning of the fix or replacement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom