Airline Kicks Students Off Plane

Polydweller

I would have punched his teeth out and said, "it didn't work".
Let's see, you then get a charge of battery, perhaps aggravated battery since you intend the harm, a criminal record and jail time. Yep, that would gave showed him all right.

As far as the kids in the OP's post, the aircraft crew has absolute control over that cabin and anything that they don't like is seen as interfering with an aircrew. There is no "overreacting" about it as the rabbi tries to say. They tell you to stop something, anything, you do what they say, period.

Aurora1

I teach, and the parents are definitely no help. On the kids trips to DC, the parents want to be their best friends rather than discipline them. It makes life EXTREMELY difficult for the teacher chaperones that do want some order. We've sent kids home before if they're behavior is anything less than stellar- they need to understand what it's all about.

WannaBWendy

One hundred one students and eight chaperones this is most of the problem how on earth are 8 adults supposed to supervise 101 teenagers. Who are spread over an entire plane..

I teach and 8 adults CAN chaperone 101 students. That begins BEFORE you leave, with "what I expect from you" lessons that go on all year. My coworkers and I have taken unruly groups to places and had the people in charge thank our students for their behavior while they were there. And supervision takes place from within the student group.

ddrongowski

The article has the High School group saying the flight attendants over-reacted and the flight attendants saying the group was unruly - should be interesting once the other passengers (and their cell phone cameras) weigh in on the situation.
From what I read part of the issue was the teens would not shut down their mobile devices. So if the teens have videos of the incident, that would prove that they had their "should be shut off devices", on and where not following the rules.

eeyoremum

I teach, and the parents are definitely no help. On the kids trips to DC, the parents want to be their best friends rather than discipline them. It makes life EXTREMELY difficult for the teacher chaperones that do want some order. We've sent kids home before if they're behavior is anything less than stellar- they need to understand what it's all about.

It is a shame you didn't find the right parents to attend trips. My husband and I have gone twice and with our oldest, now graduated. Our youngest is entering the same school next year and the teacher has already spoken to us about the trip next year asking if we are "in".

I wouldn't paint all parents with the same brush.

NYwdwfan

O.K.
That means there are potentially 40 or so witnesses I'd like to hear from about how this whole thing really went down.

Exactly my point! I am pretty confident the kids were at fault - but it will be interesting to hear the entire story. It may even be worse than originally reported!

NYwdwfan

From what I read part of the issue was the teens would not shut down their mobile devices. So if the teens have videos of the incident, that would prove that they had their "should be shut off devices", on and where not following the rules.

Good point (and duh - I should have thought of that! :rolleyes:)

The Mom

Premium Member

I was not able to go on my daughter's DC trip (little one at home) but she told me that they had to delay departure more than once because the "chaperones" were late getting back to the bus. Got lost in the gift shops, apparently. ;)

After 9/11, more parents chose to go - almost a one parent for every two students ratio. I opted out of that trip, also, as I wanted to cut the umbilical cord.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
This the chaperones fault - kids in mass are going to feed off each other it's just the way it is. Aside from a few situations where there may be behaviorial issues - When kids are out of control in the presence of adults or chaperones, it is simply laziness on the part of the adults.
If you do your due diligence, set the ground rules and maintain your stance you will not have any problems. Most kids will behave and the ones that don't will most likely be immediately tempered by the rest of the group. For example "Dude chill out - if you keep that sh-t up we are going to get tossed"

I've been involved in youth sports for 12 years and have traveled many times with large groups of kids - there may be things that happen that you have to quickly get a handle on but there is no excuse for things to get to this point.

I totally get what everyone is saying about the rash of "hip" parents out there now a days, but For the record you can be the "cool" parent or chaperone and still retain the level of respect and control that is necessary to NOT be considered just one of their friends.

Avenger117

I have heard of a lot of school groups causing problems on flights. I really don't get it. I have been on flights for school trips and never had a problem. We flew over a hundred music students on a 9 hour flight and no one had a problem.

lego606

MagicBandit
The parents of the worst kids will be the ones who complain the loudest that the actions of the airline weren't fair.

This is true. The kids in the school are spoiled by their parents, which is why this happened in the first place. (I used to go to that school)

Nubs70

FYI, AirTran is SouthWest (or will be officially in a few months) and failure to comply with the directions of flight crew is a Federal offense. The little brats should consider themselves embarrassed and lucky.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
If nothing else, the students got a very valuable, adult lesson. That flying requires responsibility and proper behavior.

So - not a total loss. ;)

If their trip was canceled and they were sent home --yeah that would have been a lesson learned.

This crew of lovelies got a minor inconvenience and free airfare the next time they travel!
Basically what any traveler that voluntarily accepts a 'bump' on an overbooked flight would get.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom