Airline Kicks Students Off Plane

Sans Souci

If their trip was canceled and they were sent home --yeah that would have been a lesson learned.

This crew of lovelies got a minor inconvenience and free airfare the next time they travel!
Basically what any traveler that voluntarily accepts a 'bump' on an overbooked flight would get.

I wonder if the people who were inconvenienced by these kids received any recompense?

Animaniac93-98

You've named a big part of the problem. Adults who want to be "cool" to the kids, and be their friends rather than being properly responsible for the behavior if their charges.
What is even worse is that far to many parents also follow this philosophy.

tumblr_m3yx04WL3K1qaubmwo1_500.gif

lego606

MagicBandit
I know some of the kids on the flight... Honestly I'm not surprised that they would be acting this way. (I used to go to Yeshiva of Flatbush)

Cindee75

I agree we took several trips with our choir in high school and the chaperones mostly sat together. I wonder what our ratio was? I wouldn't have dreamed of misbehaving though our choir teacher would have killed us!

Teachers I was not afraid of - my parents on the other hand would have me running to the hills if I had been kicked off a plane in high school. I bet there are at least a few sorry kids at home tonight.

Bluewaves

I used to work at the local amusement park here in Allentown, these same groups would bring their hoards of teenage boys and rent out the entire park for the night, they were given 2 bills, one for the admission and one for the damage that they caused when they were there, no one wanted to work the nights they had rented out the park due to the sense of entitlement they had and they listened to no one, the group leaders got into a major fight with local PD when they stopped one of their buses to do some motor carrier enforcement. They just don't know how to behave around other people, I'm sure they acted the same way on the plane and their chaperones weren't the slightest bit bothered by their behavior. These kids are lucky they didn't end up in custody, screwing around on a plane isn't the brightest of ideas, no matter who you are. I'm sure they gave them the passes in order to keep them quiet after the PR that hit.

Cindee75

Teachers I was not afraid of - my parents on the other hand would have me running to the hills if I had been kicked off a plane in high school. I bet there are at least a few sorry kids at home tonight.

Didn't read far enough - thought the "booting" from the first flight was it.:confused: Totally confused as to why they would then get them where they wanted to go if they were in the wrong.
I agree with others about parents and chaperones wanting to be friends and causing some problems but I have to say there is a group of us who try to go against the norm when parenting. When my children comment I am strict and "boring" - I say thanks just doing my job.;)

luv

We had a food fight in the 8th grade. We were lectured by the teachers, the Vice Principal, the gym teacher and then a priest.

We had to clean it all up.

We had to write a letter of apology to each of the people who supervised lunch...it was like a dozen letters that each of us had to write PERFECTLY. Wrong spelling and grammar mistakes were corrected and had to be re-written.

We all served a week of detention. ALL of us!

And then we were punished at home.

We're all middle aged now and still remember the fun of the food fight as well as the parade of lectures and punishments, lol.

But when we got to high school, we were WELL behaved, lol.

Hot Lava

I guess the students who were not "following directions" should have been reprimanded by the teachers and chaperones and not the flight crew. Unless it truly was a matter of SAFETY. But, from what I've read it was not.:( I would have called the parents to come get the "unruly" kids, and not have punished the entire group. Just MHO.;)

Kids like these are why I want to give a Leroy Jethro Gibbs head slap to every teenager with a phone I see. Ok, bad adults and their phones too.

This is the worst part of this story - the so-called chaperones. First, the chaperones should have been all over those kids. Second, they have made it worse, claiming it was discrimination b/c they are from a Jewish school.

It seems that they chaperones were allowing the shenanigans to go unchecked and now are trying to cover bad behavior by crying discrimination. Bad! Bad parenting (chaperoning), and bad examples to kids on the cusp of adulthood.

I teach, and the parents are definitely no help. On the kids trips to DC, the parents want to be their best friends rather than discipline them. It makes life EXTREMELY difficult for the teacher chaperones that do want some order. We've sent kids home before if they're behavior is anything less than stellar- they need to understand what it's all about.

Sounds like parents needed to be sent home from the trip.

Why not confiscate all the phones from the kids as they get on the planes? get them back off the plane at destination? That is what I would do if I was in charge. They (and their parents) can whine all they want. The trip is a privilege and elective; if you don't like the rules, don't go.

Mark In KY

Original Poster
"The trip is a privilege and elective; if you don't like the rules, don't go."

There are no more privileges, only entitlements.

Magenta Panther

It might matter in "the court of public opinion" but it won't matter in "the arena of officialdom". "You" do not stand a snowball's chance if the flight crew voices the slightest concern about your behavior or attitude.

And that's as it should be. I've been on flights with dippy teens acting like it's recess when the plane's due to take off. I have no sympathy for this bunch. Got what they deserved IMO.

JIMINYCR

We were brought up to have manners and respect for others. Thats how I raised my son as well. From the time he was old enough to go out with us, we enforced good behavior in public places. He knew the consequences if he misbehaved. Sadly too many parents are not teaching their kids how to act in public and when they misbehave its someone elses fault, not theirs. If you dont early on in life, set rules and consequences for breaking those rules you end up with pandemonium. Good for the airline for showing them what can happen when you disrupt other peoples lives. Hopefully it will be a lesson they wont forget.

SMS55

In the court of public opinion the kids have already lost. Most adults think teenagers are a bunch or unruly, spoiled brats and deserve what they get.

dadddio

I have to say I am disappointed with Southwest for giving this group vouchers for future travel. In the end, they arrived at their destination, but the delays were their fault--live with it.
According to another post, the delays for 109 people were caused by about ten people. In other words, about 99 people were acting appropriately and were kicked off by the airline. These people should have certainly been compensated. All were likely compensated because the agents working the issue on the ground had no clue who the troublemakers were.

dadddio

See my response above, but I'm with the flight crew in this. If the kids were following instructions, why was the flight delayed for so long?
It was delayed for 45 minutes. That includes the time that the group was noncompliant plus the time that it took to communicate the issue to the pilots, the pilots to commuicate with ground/gate/security, the jetbridge to be put back in place, the entire group of 109 people to get their belongings and begrudgingly leave the aircraft, move the jetbridge, and secure the cabin, and back away from the gate.

I'm a little shocked that the delay wasn't an hour and forty-five minutes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom