air trans ailrlines?

bears163

anyone ever use them. so far they are by far the cheapest i can find so far. all the other airlines keep going up & up. we leave in sept. i am hoping to get a cheaper airfare. now it is 200/rt. 2 months ago it was 175/rt but that was with USAir. that one is now 240.

tigsmom

Haven't used them since they were taken over by ValuJet, but we never had a problem with them. They are they only airline that left late and got us there early! :lol:

I don't really like flying, but when we do its usually American or Continental since those are the ones that fly direct from here.

Upvote 0

wdwcrzy

I fly AirTran all the time from Tampa to Atlanta. I like them a lot, esp how you can upgrade to Business Class seats for as little as $35 if there are any seats available when you check in. The planes are clean, on-time and you can't beat the price. One hint on pricing - if you see any "Web Specials" grab them! I have many times waited and ended up having to spend an extra $50-75 round trip because I didn't buty the special when I saw it. The specials usually come out on Tuesday & Thursday.

Upvote 0

natalia1681

I'm using AirTran in sept. I'm looking forward to it. I had been looking forever for cheap flights, but everything just kept going up. I called Disney and they booked my AirTran flight for less than I could book it on the AirTran website.:D

Upvote 0

mgoodwn

Where in PA are you located at? Southwest is usually the cheapest. We fly out of Baltimore, but SW is in Philly and Pittsburgh. The best thing to do is download their DING program. Some people do not like the fact that the DING specials are only on certain days and only about a month or so in advance. We've been able to get as low as $39 +fees each way. Of course, with fuel prices what they are, we may not be able to again for that price.

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

We have begun to fly Airtran pretty regularly on our trips to WDW. We live in the Cincinnati area but fly out of Dayton (about 70 miles from our house) because Delta fares are so high out of Cincinnati. There are no low cost carriers in Cincinnati. We saved almost $900 3 weeks ago when we went to WDW by using Airtran. The Dayton airport is horrible, but Airtran has always been on time and the staff very courteous. They even have XM satellite radio w/ free headphones. If you see a good fair from them grab it, as the flights fill up fast.

Upvote 0

sring

bears163 said:
anyone ever use them. so far they are by far the cheapest i can find so far. all the other airlines keep going up & up. we leave in sept. i am hoping to get a cheaper airfare. now it is 200/rt. 2 months ago it was 175/rt but that was with USAir. that one is now 240.

Unfortunately the cost of fuel is crushing the airlines as it is everyone else. Additionally the airlines have gotten, imho, better at load management so there seems to be considerably more demand for the available seats which is driving prices higher as well. If you see a decent fare, grab it, it'll probably be higher later.

As for Air Tran, we used them last June for our WDW trip. Walt Disney Vacations booked them as part of pur package. The flights were ok and ontime, the cabins clean and service about what you experience anywhere. If it matters to you, Air Tran does not participate in the DME resort check-in, so you have to schlep the luggage on the bus yourself back to the airport. If the savings is sufficient enough, I don't mind schlepping.

Upvote 0

JJHale

Flying out of Baltimore (our hometown) there are really only two choices to Orlando, Southwest and AirTran. We have flown both several times and I can tell you we enjoyed both. Remembering that they are no frills airlines, the service on both was excellent, we have found the customer service, flight attendants and counter staff all to be excellent. We flew Southwest in January and are flying AirTran next weekend. Just depends on who is cheapest when we book! (BTW ... AirTran does have XM satellite radio on every flight now, makes the trip a bit more pleasant.) Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!! :)

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

we've used them many times. it's not the prettiest plane in the sky, but it works just fine and most importantly it's cheap. go for it, you'll be fine. we've actually had more problems with delta over the years

tracy & alex

Upvote 0

JJHale

Nut4Disney said:
We live in the Cincinnati area but fly out of Dayton (about 70 miles from our house) because Delta fares are so high out of Cincinnati. The Dayton airport is horrible, but Airtran has always been on time and the staff very courteous.
Nut4Disney I had to comment and agree. I travel to Cincinnati every March and flew into Dayton on Airtran this year. Excellent service on Airtran, horrible airport in Dayton! Sure wish Cincy had a decent low fare carrier, would make my trips much easier!

Upvote 0

RedGear

My sister just used AirTran to fly down to orlando from detriot over Easter, and she said that it wasn't bad except the fact it took them over an hour to get the luggage off the plane in both airports. But other then the luggage factor, she said it was fine (but she was super ticked off about the luggage!):mad:

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

TAC said:
So what's wrong with the Dayton Airport?
:veryconfu

It is what it is I guess, just an older airport with no frills. Our main issue with the Dayton airport is the mess outside at arrivals. We parked in long term parking 3 weeks ago when we went to WDW. Upon arrival back in Dayton, I took the bus to pick up the car and drive back up to the terminal to pick up wife and kids. It was complete chaos as people were parking their cars in front of the terminal and just leaving them there, so nobody could move. There were no police officers forcing people to move on or anything. Shuttle buses couldn't even get up to the sidewalk to pick people up. Since 9-11 airports do not let you park and sit in front of the terminal, but not in Dayton I guess. In Cincinnati and Orlando they have security and police forcing you to move along if you're party is not out there for you to pick them up. Especially after 9-11, it just made us feel real uneasy about the whole situation. There was no security effort whatsoever.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
RedGear said:
My sister just used AirTran to fly down to orlando from detriot over Easter, and she said that it wasn't bad except the fact it took them over an hour to get the luggage off the plane in both airports. But other then the luggage factor, she said it was fine (but she was super ticked off about the luggage!):mad:

Slow luggage offloading is more a matter of the airport, rather than the airline.

I'm flying airtran next week. One warning: our flight times have been changed twice since I booked last November. (I knew the dates then, and it's hard to get flights for next weekend- lots of graduations) So I wouldn't make definite, on-refundable plans for your first day, as your arrival time might change.

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

The Mom said:
Slow luggage offloading is more a matter of the airport, rather than the airline.

I'm flying airtran next week. One warning: our flight times have been changed twice since I booked last November. (I knew the dates then, and it's hard to get flights for next weekend- lots of graduations) So I wouldn't make definite, on-refundable plans for your first day, as your arrival time might change.

Actually, the slow luggage offloading is a matter of the airline. The ramp agents who unload the baggage work for the airline. I used to do this when I worked for Delta in college. :animwink:

Upvote 0

Chux

Me and my GF fly out of BWI (We're from Annapolis) We've flown AirTran 2 times and SW 3 times (Thursday will be our 4th) I can't complain about AirTrain, They had nonstop to Orlando (As does SW) and service was good, seats were cheap. I just think we switched to SW because of a 4 hour delay (That can happen to any airline imo) and we got cheaper seats from SW online specials.

Both are great.

Upvote 0

FBullock

I'm flying AirTran to WDW today & setting in the Dayton airport getting ready to leave. Prices on Air Tran are as good as you can get and the times they have have always meet my schedule. (Both business & Pleasure travel.) Staff is very friendly and effecient.

Dayton is working on the entrance & it's much better today then when we went down in December.

Upvote 0

yazmin182

Hey,
I fly out from Detroit so I'm a big fan of Spirit Airlines. I find it's cheaper than AirTran. For example, I was looking at some dates during the end of August, while Airtran is 89 one way, Spirit is 74 one way and that's without any specials. Spirit also has a lot of different flexible times. Usually on Spirit they have great specials every week too so you might even get luckier!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom