Air Tran Airways...?

tigsmom

Has anyone flown Air Tran. Looking at booking for our December trip for a great price but have never heard of them before.

We've flown them many times and have never had any problems. They are based out of Orlando and were taken over by ValuJet years ago (but retained their name since ValuJet's was mud. :lookaroun ). They have the rep of switching things around without telling you (or telling you too late). As long as you keep an eye on your reservations so you always know what is going on you should be fine.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

We fly airtran and never had any problems until this year. Ever since I booked my flight for our trip in a few weeks, I've had to check the schedule everyday to make sure the times haven't changed. A little after we booked, they moved our flight almost 7 hours later than what it was...but luckily they put us on an earlier flight then our original flight was for no charge. They never contacted us about the change, and I wasn't very happy with that.

Other than that...we've never had any issues and always had a smooth flight, and on time.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We fly airtran and never had any problems until this year. Ever since I booked my flight for our trip in a few weeks, I've had to check the schedule everyday to make sure the times haven't changed. A little after we booked, they moved our flight almost 7 hours later than what it was...but luckily they put us on an earlier flight then our original flight was for no charge. They never contacted us about the change, and I wasn't very happy with that.

Other than that...we've never had any issues and always had a smooth flight, and on time.

I think all these changes lately have come from the fact that they are pulling out of/have pulled out of many of the smaller markets because of the economy. They left our regional airport on Sept third. :(

Upvote 0

Shadowdawn

We flew them recently for our trip at the end of Sept. The DBF and I both agree that we more than likely than not will never use them again. Not only did they change both our non-stop flights to and from orlando to have layovers in Atlanta, but they changed our arriving flight to leave 4 hours later than our original time and depart 3 hours earlier than planned; all without notifying us. Luckily I had learned for these forums that others were being changed w/o notice so I caught the changes to something alittle more suitable.

Our experience with AirTran once we were actual flying didn't exactly make up for the scheduling issues. Most of the AirTran personnel we came in contact with rude. We did get to have a conversation w/ our pilot on our way back to LaGuardia from Atlanta and he was really nice but our overall experience with AirTran definetly left something to be desired.

Too bad we have a $100 credit with them because I honestly don't know if we'll even use it.

Upvote 0

gettingsmaller

Last year, we flew Airtran from DFW to MCO. It was the first flight of the day on Sept 11. The plane was pretty empty (I'd be surprised if there were 15 other people on that plane). The staff was fine, and we had out pick of seats. I wouldn't hesitate to fly Airtran again, but there are some things to keep in mind...
1) the later the flight, the more chance for delay (or so I have understood)
2) I READ (i.e., may not be true) that Airtran only gives their planes a thorough cleaning overnight. So, first flight might be a bit cleaner than others.

Hey, they don't charge for the first checked bag, they're usually the least expensive (or tied for it), and they give free earphones. If you're price sensitive, I think they're a good choice

Upvote 0

FBullock

Just got back from WDW last night and flew Airtran. No problems. I've flowed Airtrain at least 5 or so times this year and no issues. When I go west, I've flow other airlines (NW & SW). I've had changes to flight schedules from more than 1 airline. In each case, I've either got a call or e-mail with the change of time or flight number. Mack sure your register your e-mail address and phone numbers with the airlines and it's listed on your reservation.

Upvote 0

imamouse

We flew them recently for our trip at the end of Sept. The DBF and I both agree that we more than likely than not will never use them again. Not only did they change both our non-stop flights to and from orlando to have layovers in Atlanta, but they changed our arriving flight to leave 4 hours later than our original time and depart 3 hours earlier than planned; all without notifying us. Luckily I had learned for these forums that others were being changed w/o notice so I caught the changes to something alittle more suitable.

Our experience with AirTran once we were actual flying didn't exactly make up for the scheduling issues. Most of the AirTran personnel we came in contact with rude. We did get to have a conversation w/ our pilot on our way back to LaGuardia from Atlanta and he was really nice but our overall experience with AirTran definetly left something to be desired.

Too bad we have a $100 credit with them because I honestly don't know if we'll even use it.

I had pretty much the same experience with AT and I'll never fly with them again. Plus - they canceled the one non-stop from my city to MCO and all flights route through Atlanta - the busiest airport in the US. No thanks.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

They left our regional airport on Sept third. :(

No no no, it's Stewart INTERNATIONAL Airport. Because if you go there on a good day, *maybe* you can catch a flight to an airport that really does have international flights. Or, you know, flights to somewhere... anywhere. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Has anyone flown Air Tran. Looking at booking for our December trip for a great price but have never heard of them before.

Yes, in August from HHI through ATL to Detroit. If anyone has ever flown into ATL, they know it can be insane! And our flight was awesome! Delayed...but due to severe storms in ATL, and we still made our connecting. They were great at accomindating us and I have recommended them since. Good luck!

Upvote 0

mikeanabean

We have flown them 3 times with no problems. Delta however is really bad about changing times and flights. We used to fly Delta exclusively but after 3 times of changing times and flights we used up our FF miles and won't go back.

Upvote 0

JeffC

We've flown them many times and have never had any problems. They are based out of Orlando and were taken over by ValuJet years ago (but retained their name since ValuJet's was mud. :lookaroun ). They have the rep of switching things around without telling you (or telling you too late). As long as you keep an eye on your reservations so you always know what is going on you should be fine.

Actually, they're based out of Atlanta.
We use them quite often out of Bloomington, Illinois.
There was one time where they changed a flight plan on us mid-flight, but all drinks, including alcohol were free, so I wasn't too upset.:slurp:
For the price, I don't think you can beat 'em.

Upvote 0

hemloc

Been traveling on Air Tran for years and never had an issue. Well, other than the 45 minute delay last week for my connecting flight from Atlanta-Hartsfield. No biggie. And do yourself a favor. If you use them, do the online check-in about 23 hours in advance and go for the $49 business upgrade(Per leg). Waaaaay worth it if you want to ride in comfort and enjoy free cocktails(Sadly they don't offer the Filet Mignon or Chicken entrees anymore:(!)!!!

Not to mention, they have some wickedly cheap one way deals this week(Which will probably be extended, like they always are!)

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Actually, they're based out of Atlanta.
We use them quite often out of Bloomington, Illinois.
There was one time where they changed a flight plan on us mid-flight, but all drinks, including alcohol were free, so I wasn't too upset.:slurp:
For the price, I don't think you can beat 'em.

Probably changed when they were taken over right? :hammer:

EDIT: Nope, they are still headquartered in Orlando. From Wiki....

AirTran Airways is a low-cost airline that is a Delaware corporation with headquarters in Orlando, Florida, USA and is a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings. AirTran operates over 750 daily flights throughout the eastern USA and the Midwest, including over 270 daily departures from Atlanta. It is the world's largest Boeing 717 operator. AirTran's principal hub is at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, and the airline's parent company, AirTran Holdings, is headquartered at Orlando International Airport, where AirTran also maintains a secondary hub.

based and headquartered , six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Upvote 0

Testtrack321

I flew them many times, ALWAYS early in the morning to places, and it's fine. Thought from what I've seen, I wouldn't bet my vaccation on them especially later in the day. I went from Dayton to Atlanta a few times with them.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

No no no, it's Stewart INTERNATIONAL Airport. Because if you go there on a good day, *maybe* you can catch a flight to an airport that really does have international flights. Or, you know, flights to somewhere... anywhere. :ROFLOL:

Please! :zipit: They say international, but we all know better. :lol:

Upvote 0

WinnietheStitch

airtran

Flown them 3 times now out of san diego. All 3 times we originally had non-stop red eye flights. All 3 times, they were cancelled and rerouted thru atlanta. Our last experience they changed our departure time the day prior, pushing it back 7 hours. Unacceptable. That is my only gripe.

Upvote 0

jeffk410

hmm

i did hear that a coupel months ago they were doing reallly really bad. I have flown air tran before and it was great. But i do think they were hit hard by the economy and their was reports of them going under.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom