Aggressive/Nasty Security Member Encounter

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We were stopped by security twice last week and told we couldn't bring in a "gun". (see pic below)
When we pointed out that they sell "bubble guns" themselves in the park, it got us nowhere.

They sent over a supervisor, who said "if it shoots bubbles, and it's plastic, it's not a gun! And we sell them here too".
LOL

Seriously? I don't think anyone is mistaking that for a gun.

View attachment 363020
Disney doesn't own that IP... yet.

dX927

I know of one ex-professional wrestler who was working security there at least a few months ago. Not gonna name names. I did a double take and didn't want to mention it just in case he was having a bad day already.

I usually get way more annoyed with Universal's security lines. Last time I was there the guy says "Everyone in the next party, empty your pockets into this container and head through the metal detector." Then he asks me to go through. I start taking everything out of my pockets and he goes "Why didn't you put everything into the container like I told you?" and my response was....

"Because I'm not in that party."

note2001

I know of one ex-professional wrestler who was working security there at least a few months ago. Not gonna name names. I did a double take and didn't want to mention it just in case he was having a bad day already.

I usually get way more annoyed with Universal's security lines. Last time I was there the guy says "Everyone in the next party, empty your pockets into this container and head through the metal detector." Then he asks me to go through. I start taking everything out of my pockets and he goes "Why didn't you put everything into the container like I told you?" and my response was....

"Because I'm not in that party."
🤣 This is my life.

Moresmapdi

It's not advisable. You're going to be disappointed if you cross the power trip guy that wants to ruin your day. Not worth it.
That's what I mean. In these situations you are usually correct, but they like to make it difficult for you. If you have the time and patience, you will be win.

UncleMike101

We were stopped by security twice last week and told we couldn't bring in a "gun". (see pic below)
When we pointed out that they sell "bubble guns" themselves in the park, it got us nowhere.

They sent over a supervisor, who said "if it shoots bubbles, and it's plastic, it's not a gun! And we sell them here too".
LOL

Seriously? I don't think anyone is mistaking that for a gun.

View attachment 363020
Some "brilliant" school Administrators have called a chewed up Pop Tart a gun and expelled the chewer.
The paranoia over such things has become truly unbelievable.
Fists can be a fearsome weapon when applied properly.
The only way to disarm everyone is to remove their arms.

Willmark

The saying I’m growing fonder of daily is: “is the juice worth the squeeze?”

How much is it worth in this interaction? Not every affront needs to be addressed. Oft times in life recognizing this will get you a lot farther.

Raineman

As one of the first faces some people will see on their Disney vacation, this is the wrong attitude to have about it. They should absolutely be friendly yet effeicient. They are DISNEY security, not a third party. From the folks who handle your linens on up to Iger, every CM should strive to put a smile on guests' faces.
I would go as far to say that, for myself anyway, as long as they are at least professional and do their job the way it is supposed to be done, then that is all I would ask. The security personnel in the OP's post did neither of these, and should have been reprimanded by his supervisor. I prefer a friendly face, but will accept someone who does their job right.

Tom Morrow

The other day at DAK, in the bag check line, I queued up with only two people in front of me. The security guard spent two minutes going through one single small purse. I couldn't tell if he was being extremely over-thorough or nosey or being too careful to not touch her personal items. Two minutes may not seem like a big deal, but it was a small to medium sized purse, and if I had been in line during a morning rush when the security lines are 30 people deep, I would have been very frustrated. I moved to another guard who cleared me and my camera bag/equipment in 15 seconds.

There seems to be a lot of inconsistency in WDW's security department regarding how thorough their procedures should be. It makes me wish WDW would just bite the bullet and install bag scanners and metal detectors for all like Universal has done, where they can clear a bag check line 30 people deep in mere minutes.

disneyfireman

I’m more concerned with why people feel the need to bring more stuff for a day in a theme park than someone going into battle? I can understand a small backpack for things. Especially if one has small kids. But I see people bring so much stuff it’s literally a mental issue. Lol. I mean. Folks you will leave that night. It will be ok. You don’t need to bring an entire medical kit and etc into the parks.

jaklgreen

I’m more concerned with why people feel the need to bring more stuff for a day in a theme park than someone going into battle? I can understand a small backpack for things. Especially if one has small kids. But I see people bring so much stuff it’s literally a mental issue. Lol. I mean. Folks you will leave that night. It will be ok. You don’t need to bring an entire medical kit and etc into the parks.

This is so true. Unless you have some kind of medical need or small kids, you can go through the whole day with nothing that does not fit in your pocket. I take a small wallet with very little in it, phone, very small lip gloss, and a small baggie of pain meds(for my headache that I get when from allergic reactions). Been doing this for well over a decade and have not needed anything else on any trip.

docdebbi

well...…...ok, you make sense but I still take issue with your example.

I always bring a "little" emergency medical kit with some important stuff- meds, bandaids, dressings, and most importantly sterile surgical glue.
I am surgeon, so I have access to this miracle stuff . Always bring it with me to the park.

As I tell the grandkids, you do something stupid and need stitiches, I am not wasting a Disney Day in the ER. I'll glue you up and move us on. So be careful out there :joyfull:.

disneyfireman

well...…...ok, you make sense but I still take issue with your example.

I always bring a "little" emergency medical kit with some important stuff- meds, bandaids, dressings, and most importantly sterile surgical glue.
I am surgeon, so I have access to this miracle stuff . Always bring it with me to the park.

As I tell the grandkids, you do something stupid and need stitiches, I am not wasting a Disney Day in the ER. I'll glue you up and move us on. So be careful out there :joyfull:.
If you are a surgeon. Then you get a pass. Lol

LittleBuford

This is so true. Unless you have some kind of medical need or small kids, you can go through the whole day with nothing that does not fit in your pocket. I take a small wallet with very little in it, phone, very small lip gloss, and a small baggie of pain meds(for my headache that I get when from allergic reactions). Been doing this for well over a decade and have not needed anything else on any trip.

I need a bag for my autograph book (yes, really), bottled water, and light jacket/sweater, the last of which I can't do without in some of the aggressively air-conditioned interiors.

disneyfireman

Which is great if you happen to twist your ankle stepping off a curb or get a cut from a piece of plastic in front of the First Aid station. :)
Don’t go barefoot. And you’ll survive until you get to a first aid station. I mean. I can fit a couple band aids and Tylenol in a wallet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom