Age of children on their 1st WDW trip

stitchfan

My first trip to WDW was when I was 3...and I don't remember a thing. :cry:

I am, however, a Disney nut, as my presence here will attest. :)

So, I supppose your mileage will vary...if you think your kids are old enough, then go for it. If you're not sure, it might, in fact, be better to wait a year or so.

I have two young friends who are 5...their mom is going to wait a year or two to take them to WDW...to make sure they'll remember the trip...and, I think, to allow my hubby and me time enough to put together the funds to go with them...

surfsupdon

My parents took my sister and me when we were 4 and 5 respectively. I have very many memories from that trip. I remember eating breakfast at Chrystal Palace (a la carte back then) and then riding Small World a lot. I remember crying and wailing on Snow White, so much so that I remember riding Small World seven times afterwards, then Big Thunder as my first rollercoaster, back seat, w/o a problem. But that darn Snow White was an issue, haha.

My Disney memories from that first trip (so many more) are great and I think I was just at that right age and level to have fun and realize what we were doing.

Of course back then we had to stay offsite, "but right at the main gate, just outside." :xmas:

RebeccaQ

My son's first trip was at 2 and he loved it. My daughter's first was at 10 months and she loved it. I was surprised with both of them just how much they can enjoy it at such a young age.

When we were expecting my daughter we had actually figured it would be a few years before we went back and snuck in a pregnant trip. But the next year my son was at such a great age (5) that we went anyway and my daughter (then 10 months) also had a great time. She now points to anything she sees with Mickey Mouse on it and smiles and giggles if someone says Disney World or Mickey Mouse.

As others have mentioned, just remember that you are going as a parent with kids and make sure to go back to the hotel for those naps and breaks. I would also add that it probably depends upon what time of year you are planning to go - we have always gone in the winter, which makes it tons easier on the kids (and us!). It is more difficult on just about anyone to go in the heat and crowds in the summer, so keep that in mind too.

It really doesn't matter if they "don't remember it" (they do, btw - it is there somewhere) - what matters is if they have fun while they are there. If the "they won't remember it" logic holds, then why do we do anything but leave them in their room until they are 3 or 4 or whatever age they supposedly begin to remember things?

And as someone else mentioned - they are your kids - they go where you go when they are little. (as she said, especially when they are still nursing) So if you are planning a trip, just plan accordingly and have a great time!

DisneyPhD

RebeccaQ said:
As others have mentioned, just remember that you are going as a parent with kids and make sure to go back to the hotel for those naps and breaks. I would also add that it probably depends upon what time of year you are planning to go - we have always gone in the winter, which makes it tons easier on the kids (and us!). It is more difficult on just about anyone to go in the heat and crowds in the summer, so keep that in mind too.

It really doesn't matter if they "don't remember it" (they do, btw - it is there somewhere) - what matters is if they have fun while they are there. If the "they won't remember it" logic holds, then why do we do anything but leave them in their room until they are 3 or 4 or whatever age they supposedly begin to remember things?

And as someone else mentioned - they are your kids - they go where you go when they are little. (as she said, especially when they are still nursing) So if you are planning a trip, just plan accordingly and have a great time!

So true. The time of year for both heat and crowds does matter. I don't think I would go during a very busy and hot or rainy time. Naps and breaks are a must. When you go with young kids you will spend time sitting at play grounds and spitting water fountains when you wouldn't, but those are the most fun times.

You are right about the memories. That is how children learn, by experiences. Not taking your child is not going to set them back or hurt them in any way, but there are many ways a family vaction to a fun and magical place can be great for young children.

It works for good and bad expererinces. Saddly, it is much harder to treat and recover from abuse (sexaul and other) that happens under the age of 2 then over.

scorp111

My daughter first went at 14 months. She had a blast. She loved the parades, music, characters, etc.

When we came back with the requisite Park CDS etc, we started listening to them in the car.

We just went back and she is 16 months now, she literally knew they were going to sing in Tiki Birds before they started, she jumped up and down when they started playing Main St USA, and could not contain herself at the parades!!

Just with little ones, you have to be clear who you are going four. We spent all weekend at the parks and probably only experienced 10-12 attractions or shows. But it was great!

Look at my photo album and it has some pictures from the 1st trip.

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=11182

loribeth

My cousin has a ten month old daughter. She was two weeks old for her first visit to Disney. Of course we're local so she's been there countless times. We took her to Epcot on Tuesday and she loved it. She enjoys all the characters, the shows, and even some rides. Then usually she'll sleep so somebody will sit with her while the rest of us go on rides.

crazydaveh

This has been a question my family has debated for the last three years. I have a 3 1/2 year old niece and I have been wanting my sister to bring her down for the fun. In the past, it's always been, "We will wait until she's older." They are bringing her down for Christmas, yes, we're eating Christmas brekfast at the castle with Cinderella.

I usually hit the parks hard with an agenda, but this will be an entirely new experience for me. She has also never seen fireworks, hopefully she'll like them!

tigsmom

Took Lil'mermaid for her first trip when she was four. Princess #2 had her first trip when she was just about 18 months or so.

Sharon L

My son was a few weeks away from being 4 when he went for the first time. I think it is an ideal age for a first trip. We were lucky in that he is on the tall side, so there were not many rides that he couldn't go on. He is also rather fearless, and was not afraid to try every ride he could go on (how many 3 year olds do you see on the Tower of Terror?).

We didn't use a stroller because he felt he was too old for one, so a few weeks before our trip we started taking longer and longer walks to build up his stamina. And as stated several times, just be sure to take breaks, both inside the park and out.

Laura

Premium Member
Personally, I find it absurd to take a 2 or three year old to the park. They simply don't know what it is, get cranky and don't remember it anyway. If I were ever to have kids, I'd wait to take them to WDW until they were at least 5 or 6.

Most people are selfish and take their kids way too early because THEY want to go and take their kids. They don't do it for the kids, they do it for themselves. Waiting until everyone can have a good time makes much more sense to me.

I think that must be the most judgemental rotten thing I've heard someone say on this forum yet. You don't even have kids, but yet you think you know more about 2 and 3 year olds than a parent does?

First of all, you have insulted my 3 year old's intelligence by saying "They simply don't know what it is". As I stated before, we went to Disney over 5 months ago and my son remembers every detail of, remembers all of the rides, remembers all of the characters, and he knows EXACTLY what Disneyworld is. He remembers details that even I forget about. He had a blast. By the way, he was TWO when we brought him.

And then after you insult my son by implying that he's stupid and cranky and has no memory, you go on to insult my husband and I by saying we are SELFISH for bringing him? Wow you are extremely clueless about what it is to be a parent. I've been to Disney more times than I can count, but yet you think I brought my son because I just HAD to take yet another Disney vacation at his expense. Whatever. I brought my son because I wanted HIM to experience Disney!!!

I'm sorry but it just infuriates me to hear childless people rant about the way parents do things and pass such mean judgements when they have NO clue.

winterparkbaby

18 months- first trip

22 months -second

26 months -third

and each time it gets better.

And as for what was said earlier about bringing young children to the park, well it is absurd. I am a child development major. Everything that happens to you from birth to the age of three makes you who you are. It is the building blocks for your life. So you are telling me a wonderful vacation filled with positive and nurturing fun is not beneficial for the child. Please think before you insult most people on this board. As a parent of a little girl who loves her trips to Mickey's house I take offense to what you have said.

scorp111

Laura22 said:
I think that must be the most judgemental rotten thing I've heard someone say on this forum yet. You don't even have kids, but yet you think you know more about 2 and 3 year olds than a parent does?

First of all, you have insulted my 3 year old's intelligence by saying "They simply don't know what it is". As I stated before, we went to Disney over 5 months ago and my son remembers every detail of, remembers all of the rides, remembers all of the characters, and he knows EXACTLY what Disneyworld is. He remembers details that even I forget about. He had a blast. By the way, he was TWO when we brought him.

And then after you insult my son by implying that he's stupid and cranky and has no memory, you go on to insult my husband and I by saying we are SELFISH for bringing him? Wow you are extremely clueless about what it is to be a parent. I've been to Disney more times than I can count, but yet you think I brought my son because I just HAD to take yet another Disney vacation at his expense. Whatever. I brought my son because I wanted HIM to experience Disney!!!

I'm sorry but it just infuriates me to hear childless people rant about the way parents do things and pass such mean judgements when they have NO clue.

Laura, Thanks for saying it, so I don't have to.

Each child is different, as each family. I certainly see plenty of 6-15 year old children who are cranky, smart mouthed, fighting with parents etc.

It is like it says in the latest issue of Disney magazine...

"Take your little princess, while she is still a little princess."

Attachments

• 11182Anna_Princess_at_WOD.jpg
    11182Anna_Princess_at_WOD.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 108

Raven66

Our daughter was 5 on her first trip. We personally didn't want to take her too young. I have nothing against parents who do it, was just the way we wanted to do it. She was tall enough to go on every ride and that is what we were waiting for. :D It just amazes me how calm people are with their little ones in all that heat with people shoving and such. I just didn't think I could handle it. But to see those little faces light up, no matter what age they are is just wonderful. :sohappy:

scorp111..............she is so adorable :)

DisneyPhD

1st of Thank you Laura22, scorp111, winterparkbaby, and everyone else.

My daughter was the same way at scorp111, from a very young age she knew all about the park, can reconize songs and pictures from attrations and can tell you how to get around the park. When she was 2 years old BIL and SIL took her to MK while we went out to dinner. They hadn't been to MK in 5 years and Little PhD told them just were to go and what rides to go on (they didn't know what TTA was!) :hammer: She told them. They had the best time with her. The only time I remember her crying ever in over 25 days in the parks on combined vacations was when she was 23 months old and another older little girl walked up to her and grabed the chains out of her hands while she was waiting for Dumbo. We had to walk out of line and clam down a little before she was ready to ride it. It is our tradtion, her very 1st ride and we always go on Dumbo 1st now. Little PhD knows more then most adults know about WDW, (besides us nuts here, and even then she can give some a run for their money!) She hasn't been in over a year and yet she talks about her past and upcoming trips every day. We are really lucky we can take her, I know many parents can't.

mickeyfanatics, wow. I couldn't even sit done at 12 days post partum. Cheers to you. :sohappy:

MissM

Laura22 said:

Self important much?

Get off your drama high horse. You wouldn't take it personally if it didn't relate to you or if you didn't find some truth in it. It's called overly defenisve. So, you have your opinion, I have mine. I'm not the only one who said it's pointless to take that young of a child. Taking a child that young is ONLY FOR THE PARENTS and if you want to convince yourself otherwise, then by all means feel free to lie to yourself and say otherwise, but don't get up in my ____*t because you think the world revolves around you. No where did I say "Laura22's kid sucks and is stupid." I am just as welcome to my opinion. So back off and chill out. Oh yeah and stop thinking every post is about you.

Here's a clue. It's not.
-m

DisneyPhD

MissM said:
Self important much?

Get off your drama high horse. You wouldn't take it personally if it didn't relate to you or if you didn't find some truth in it. It's called overly defenisve. So, you have your opinion, I have mine. I'm not the only one who said it's pointless to take that young of a child. Taking a child that young is ONLY FOR THE PARENTS and if you want to convince yourself otherwise, then by all means feel free to lie to yourself and say otherwise, but don't get up in my ____*t because you think the world revolves around you. No where did I say "Laura22's kid sucks and is stupid." I am just as welcome to my opinion. So back off and chill out. Oh yeah and stop thinking every post is about you.

Here's a clue. It's not.
-m

Wow, that was just rude.

Laura

Premium Member
Yeah and I just got a negative repuation point from her where she called me a B#tch. Wow, you just keep on spreading that Disney magic "MissM". You're a real piece of work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom