Age of children on their 1st WDW trip

tigsmom

Laura22 said:
Yeah and I just got a negative repuation point from her where she called me a B#tch. Wow, you just keep on spreading that Disney magic "MissM". You're a real piece of work.
Don't worry about it Laura, some people just can't play well with others. I'll hit ya with some green. My little ones loved going to WDW when they were small (and still do). :wave:

Nora

Wow! Why so nasty? No one suggested manditory trips to WDW with toddlers! Chill.

I just wanted to say how much I agree with many of the previous comments. My first trip was at 18 months and, although I can't relate anecdotes from the trip, it most certainly had an impact on me. Additionally, my parents have great memories of the trip, which they cherish. What is wrong with that? Don't parents do things all the time which are, at their essence, more about them than their children. I mean, babies in Halloween costumes are adorable, but I doubt they see much benefit from them. As long as the kids are having fun in their own way, who cares if they remember it. And when those kids grow up a little they just might get a kick out of looking at pictures and listening to their parents' stories about the trip.

wannab@dis

MissM said:
Self important much?

...removed remainder of diatribe since it was not worth repeating..

Totally uncalled for...

Our DD will be going when she's a year or two old and it's for her and us. I can't wait to see her experience WDW her first time and I know she will enjoy it.

By the way Laura22, I bumped you to help out. Report her rep message to Steve.

Pigtails

It's a bit different for me since I live near WDW, but I started taking my son when he was about 2 months old. I think a 2-3 year old would have alot of fun, just be sure not to try and do too much all at once.

Ringo8n24

We took our daughter when she was 18 months for the first time and again this past September when she was almost three. To be honest with you, it was easier with her when she was 18 months than the terrible two's. At 18 months, she seemed just fascinated and took everything in for the first time. I say all that and I am taking her again next fall. :hammer: But she truly does love the place and asks all the time if we will take her back soon. I know they DO remember and DO enjoy going when they are that young. I also believe it is because I keep Disney fresh around her. She is surrounded by everything Disney and remembers her trips and things about it that I do not recall, so to the others who believe that a toddler does enjoy it...I totally agree, too. :)

Erika

I don't have kids of my own yet but my parents took me when I was not quite 3. Back then there was only the Magic Kingdom so it was not quite the ordeal it is today. They took things slowly and went at my pace, not theirs. Of course this meant that we rode Small World a good 48395734895 times and Haunted Mansion not at all, since my mom figured I'd be too afraid.

Believe it or not I DO remember snippets of this trip. They are among my earliest memories. I know I have posted about them here before but among them are 1) thinking how silly my parents were as they argued over whether or not a particular character was Gepetto (it was Smee) and 2) my mom pointing out how the track was ending in front of us as we moved towards the window on Peter Pan's Flight. There are a few others involving Alice, the castle, eating ice cream, etc, nothing earth shattering but special just the same. Other memories are tied into photographs but these moments are nobody's but my own.

If I had enough energy, I wouldn't hesitate to take a child at that age DEPENDING ON THE CHILD. One might be ready at 2, another, still not ready at 6.

ogryn

My little brother went once when he was still in his Mum's tummy :)D), WDW at two, DLP at three, WDW at four and DLP at five.

You have to take things into account that you may not think of, for example he wanted to go on Big Thunder at DLP, but then cried all the way through because of the pitch black tunnel under the lake. He wouldn't go on Peter Pan because he was scared that the pirates in there would get him :rolleyes:, but "It's A Small World" would be ridden as much as it could, along with Dumbo (and Casey Jr at DLP).

Sure, you have to do things a little differently than being by yourself, but seeing their little jaws-drop when they see the light parade for the first time, or when Chip'n'Dale put their big brother in a headlock (!) is priceless :)

PhilharMagician

MissM said:
My first theme park experience was at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA when I was three. Know what I remember? Feeding ducks on a bridge. That's it. I don't even remember that it was record high teperatures for the day, though if you look at the pictures, I'm crying in all of them from heat fatigue.

I first went to Disney World when I was six or seven. And that I remember. All my love of the classic rides stems from that trip.

Personally, I find it absurd to take a 2 or three year old to the park. They simply don't know what it is, get cranky and don't remember it anyway. If I were ever to have kids, I'd wait to take them to WDW until they were at least 5 or 6.

My Love's first trip to WDW was when he was 2 1/2. He doesn't remember anything either. If it weren't for dated photos, as far as he's concerned, he never went.

Instead of spending that much money, and that much of a large-scale trip at that age, I'd wait. There's a big difference between taking a 2 year old to the zoo or a park, versus to Disney World. I'll never understand it and just won't be convinced by the arguments that the kids have a great time. Yeah, kids have a great time playing in dirt too.

*shrugs*

I'd wait. But that's me. Most people are selfish and take their kids way too early because THEY want to go and take their kids. They don't do it for the kids, they do it for themselves. Waiting until everyone can have a good time makes much more sense to me.
-m

I agree. I see more parents trying to force their kids to do things they do not want to do. We took our daughter age 4 and she was overwhelmed. Now she had been to a local Six Flags park and rode many rides include small roller coasters and had so much fun. When she got to WDW she was freaked by all that was around her. We just recently returned last week from WDW and this time at age 6 she had a magical time.

Everyone here has seen the parental pushing and prodding that goes on. The best thing I can say is forget about what you used to do at WDW and prepare for big changes for the next couple of years till you child gets a little older. :wave:

Chase24

1st Trip with our son.

My wife and I just took our 3 yr old for his 1st trip in Nov. We all had a blast. His Favorite ride was the POC, and he still dances around the house singing the song from the ride wearing his Captin Hook Hat "Captin Sam" and Hook.

The Funniest part was on the Haunted Mansion. About 2 minutes in, he pulled his floppy hat down over his eyes and would not watch anymore. Once we got off the ride, we asked him if he liked it, he said yes, did he want to go on it again?, no :lol: . He was brave enough, and tall enough to just nip the height marker on Splash Mountain to try it, but only 1 ride was enough. He liked it, but did not want to go again.

He enjoyed the Character Breakfasts, and the all the rides, but we probably should have stayed only 3 or 4 days instead of 5. Even with all the breaks and a day off (6 total) he was really worn out at the end when we flew back.

DisneyFan 2000

Laura22 said:
Yeah and I just got a negative repuation point from her where she called me a B#tch. Wow, you just keep on spreading that Disney magic "MissM". You're a real piece of work.

Well you got a positive point so that should set things right. :wave:

I was 13 when I first visited WDW. I enjoyed every moment, it was very magical!

EDIT: I can't believe it. I got a bad reputation point for participating in a Disney/Universal thread. :eek: What's wrong with voicing your opion? (don't even get me started on that bad point I got because I mentioned SaveDisney...) :rolleyes:

DisneyPhD

PhilharMagician said:
I agree. I see more parents trying to force their kids to do things they do not want to do. We took our daughter age 4 and she was overwhelmed. Now she had been to a local Six Flags park and rode many rides include small roller coasters and had so much fun. When she got to WDW she was freaked by all that was around her. We just recently returned last week from WDW and this time at age 6 she had a magical time.

Everyone here has seen the parental pushing and prodding that goes on. The best thing I can say is forget about what you used to do at WDW and prepare for big changes for the next couple of years till you child gets a little older. :wave:

See, but that is the thing. When you have kids your life does change and you do things differently. To the people that you might be seen behaving badly with their children, they are refusing to adjust. Many parents, myself and many here, can take children on trips, outings and events, and everyone can have a great time. It is more a mater of good planning and parenting skills then it is the childs age.

Oh and Miss M thanks for the negitive rep point. I gave you one 1st, back when you made the rude commment to start with, but I had a point. I said that "Taking your children with you on vaction is not selfish" and I signed my name. You didn't have the guts to do that and called me a what I can guess is not so lovey name too. It was the very 1st negitive rep point I have ever given out and well deserved.

It apears it is a good thing you don't have kids yet. Some growing up would be in order.

Laura

Premium Member
Oh and Miss M thanks for the negitive rep point.

:mad: Wow someone's on a mission! I didn't realize you were supposed to hand them out just because you don't agree with someone. Oh well, thanks to her my repuation went from 35 to 59 in about 12 hours LOL.

bhg469

DisneyFan 2000 said:
Well you got a positive point so that should set things right. :wave:

I was 13 when I first visited WDW. I enjoyed every moment, it was very magical!

EDIT: I can't believe it. I got a bad reputation point for participating in a Disney/Universal thread. :eek: What's wrong with voicing your opion? (don't even get me started on that bad point I got because I mentioned SaveDisney...) :rolleyes:

the rep point thing is getting a little out of hand if you ask me. Everybody loves me and i only have 1 green dot how is that fair? :lol:

DisneyPhD

Laura22 said:
:mad: Wow someone's on a mission! I didn't realize you were supposed to hand them out just because you don't agree with someone. Oh well, thanks to her my repuation went from 35 to 59 in about 12 hours LOL.

There is a limit to how many you can give out in a 24 hour period (I think around 5 people), and how many (good or bad doesn't matter) to one person. I went to give you one Laura and it told me I had to spred some around before I could give you more, so apparently I had already given you some green recently :animwink: Oh and pointing out politly that you don't agree isn't bad, it is calling rude names that is. :hammer:

So it is going to take a very long time for MissM to get back at everyone. :eek:

DisneyPhD

DisneyFan 2000 said:
Lol, at least that's what YOU think! :lookaroun :p

LOL :lol:

You need 100 points to get 2 squares. I don't know how many after that since I was sitting at 100 for a while. (I would guess it is 100 points per square.) Also different people have different amount of points their positive or negtive rep is worth. People with negitive reps can make comments, but it gives no points. (postive or negtive.)

TURKEY, did you know you are worth 4 points? Thanks :p

tigsmom

DisneyPhD said:
See, but that is the thing. When you have kids your life does change and you do things differently. To the people that you might be seen behaving badly with their children, they are refusing to adjust. Many parents, myself and many here, can take children on trips, outings and events, and everyone can have a great time. It is more a mater of good planning and parenting skills then it is the childs age. ...

It apears it is a good thing you don't have kids yet. Some growing up would be in order.
Good points and very well said.

While I didn't elaborate in my earlier post my kids had a great time when they were very young in WDW. My youngest at 18 months just loved all the characters and the rides that she was able to go on. She loved going thru the photos and reliving her trip.
They were able to behave themselves because we taught them that from the very begining. Did they get a little excited and act up every so often? Sure, but adults do the same thing and I can assure you they never ruined anyone's trip. Adjusting the schedule to include breaks and naps is essential for everyone's sanity. I can't wait until we can have an "adult only" trip, but I would never trade the family trips for anything or anyone!

PhD, I tried to rep you also, but I need to spread it around a little first.

Laura

Premium Member
bhg469 said:
the rep point thing is getting a little out of hand if you ask me. Everybody loves me and i only have 1 green dot how is that fair? :lol:

I used to think the rep points were stupid. But now I'm having more fun with it. Reminds me of ebay feedback points. :xmas:

tigsmom

DisneyPhD said:
Oh and pointing out politly that you don't agree isn't bad, it is calling rude names that is. :hammer:
Its like I tell my kids all the time (and some posters here)...

Its not what you say, but how you say it that counts. :wave:

TURKEY

I was around 1.5 when I first went. It was during 1982. I remember the castle, Mickey, and the big ball (Spaceship Earth). Couldn't give you the details though.

My first real memory of WDW is when I was 4. I was at Fort Wilderness chasing my cousin, tripped fell and broke/knocked out 3 baby teeth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom