After The Last Final Answer

Skippy

Others keep pointing out the cost to run it. If Disney didn't want to pay the cost (and I have no doubt they knew before it was even built what those costs would be), then why would they have bothered to do it at all?

In my opinion when the show first opened it was worth the money put into running it, now however is a different story.

Legacy

A rebuttal:

Point 1 - Space exitsts elsewhere for the new attraction. The Hunchback Theater is huge and could more than accomodate Midway Madness. It could also tie-in to the Pizza Planet/Al's Toy Barn areas with a little more retheming. Killing attractions is a bad idea at a Park that doesn't have all that many to begin with.
Point 2 - Popularity of a show could affect the popularity of an attraction. Look at what happened when they added Jack Sparrow to Pirates. It may be a temporary increase in popularity because of the currently popular movie, but it DID affect attendance of the attraction. As far as Millionaire goes, I guess we'll never know now, will we?
Point 3 - "The Twilight Zone." 'Nuff said.
Point 4 - Disney Parks are always filled with repeat visitors. Whether or not someone does an attraction once or 16 times in a day really doesn't matter. My guess is that less than 25% of the people in each show were in the previous show. I'm sure the figure is actually much smaller than that. Every day a lot of new people saw the show for the first time.

There are a few other arguments like no one can find the show on TV anymore. The original is still broadcast at least once a day on GSN (8pm M-F here, and 5 or 6 on weekends). Yes, they are repeats, but I know quite a few people - including myself - who still watch them. It's obviously not as dead a show as some think or GSN probably wouldn't be showing it as frequently as they do. In fact, sometimes I feel like it's the only game show on, because it's the only one I ever catch when I turn them on.
Next, it did belong at a Disney Park because it was a Disney-produced show. And it definitely belonged at the Studios because - duh - you shoot a television show in a soundstage in a studio. Wow. Hard connection there.
Others keep pointing out the cost to run it. If Disney didn't want to pay the cost (and I have no doubt they knew before it was even built what those costs would be), then why would they have bothered to do it at all? Great things don't come cheap. And while many might argue it wasn't great, I would disagree. It was fun, live, interactive, and challenging, and best of all it was never the same show twice. I suspect a number of those who hate the attraction so much only hate it because they couldn't get into the hot seat. Just a theory...

A refutation ;)

Point 1- This point reminds me of the closing of Kongfrontation for Revenge of the Mummy at Universal. There was room for the building of a new show building for the new ride, and thus leave Kong open. However, with the money going into the attraction in the first place, it was more cost effective to guy one building and put a new attraction inside of it. Money is saved on the development of the super-structure for the show building. Now, save for the back lot itself, those soundstages that Millionare occupied is the largest chunk of land available. More importantly, it's by far the largest enclosed parcel. Disney is saving money by putting the attraction in a pre-made building (which should make for a better attraction).

Point 2- Pirates cannot be compared to the Today show. The popularity of Johnny Depp cannot be compared with the popularity of Meredith Viera. The pirates concept is/was an already decades old classic. The movie reinvited the story and included one of the most acclaimed actors of our time. It in turn, has turned into one of the most profitable licenses of this decade. A game show host is just a game show host, and can be replaced without question (don't believe me? Look at Family Feud). I also doubt that the Today Show will be talking up the syndicated version of WWtBaM... which brings me to...

Point 3- The Tower of Terror is a unique and compelling story that doesn't need the license that is associated with it. The ride would still have been a hit without Rod Serling (proof can be found in the DisneySea version, that doesn't have the Twilight Zone theme). The truth is, Disney could drop the Twilight Zone moniker from the Tower tomorrow, and it would still be a show case attraction. The same cannot be said for Who Wants to Be a Millionare.

Point 4- The big theory of the closing of the California version is that it was because of the natives. I would be inclined to argee that the same thing happened in Florida. The last time I was at MGM (the week after New Year's), CMs were outside trying to pull people into the show. That's a bad sign... Sounds Dangerous doesn't even do that.

Now, I'm not arguing that the attraction did not belong at Disney, or at MGM. But the property is dying (isn't GSN the one that plays all those game shows from the 70's and 80's that no one else will pick up)... and I'm honestly surprised the attraction lasted as long as it did. No one should be shocked that it only had a five year lifespan. The primetime version of the show was only popular for about a year... Properties are very fickle things, especially in television.

DisneyBride94

I don't know... I never thought this show was very exciting at all... I'm not sad to see it go.... but I never cared for the TV game show either...

Frank Stallone

A rebuttal:

Point 3 - "The Twilight Zone." 'Nuff said.

In 40 years, I don't think Who Wants to Be A Millionaire is going to be as well known and popular as The Twilight Zone is today.

There's a difference between having an attraction tied in with a show that hasn't aired in decades, but still holds cult status and strong DVD sales, and a game show that was forced down our throats and put into a morning time slot within 3 years of debuting (sorry, that sentence was way too long).

CThaddeus

In 40 years, I don't think Who Wants to Be A Millionaire is going to be as well known and popular as The Twilight Zone is today.

There's a difference between having an attraction tied in with a show that hasn't aired in decades, but still holds cult status and strong DVD sales, and a game show that was forced down our throats and put into a morning time slot within 3 years of debuting (sorry, that sentence was way too long).

I was responding to a specific argument made by Legacy - "In my mind, any show that is soley (sic) in syndication does not deserve to have an attraction." "Twilight Zone" is only in syndication now and various attempts to revive it have met with failure. Will "Millionaire" still be remembered in 40 years? Probably not (none of us can really say). That wasn't the point. He was making a specific statement that no syndicated show deserves to have an attraction. I was pointing out one already exists, and is quite popular (not with me, but with the public). As for the show being "forced down our throats," I guess that depends on how you look at it. As a trivial buff, the show was highly entertaining to me, and so was the attraction. You never had to watch the show. If you did it was by choice. It's not like it was on every channel (or even more than one). The beauty of cable is that is has around 100 channels; if you don't like "Millionaire," change the channel. Personally, I don't believe it was overhyped or forced down my throat. But that's just me.

Scar Junior

I don't even think the Drew Carey show is in syndication anywhere...

Sadly, it is.

Most shows that last a few years on primetime get syndicated... and they won't die! Truth be told, that's where most the money comes from. It's like how films make most of their money after they're in theaters.

Regardless... I see your original point but respectfully disagree. Would I rather have Millionare than Sounds Dangerous? Sure, but I am by no means going to miss Millionare.

Michael72688

Obviously some of you really dont understand the economics of a theme park. Heres how it goes, you have an show that might do ok but only because people are there and they might walk by and choose to do it, the show costs a lot of money to put on and how much millionaire merchandise was sold in the park? not much. It also took up a lot of space, the Hunchback theater could not hold a ride this size. So Disney decides to get rid of a show that most people dont care about to build a big, hopefully high budget attraction which more then likely will have its exit spill into a gift shop. This new ride will cause thousands more people to come to the park, something millionaire could never do and in turn a lot more money is going to be spent in the park. Hopefully one day you all will realize that Disney or any other theme park for that matter does not care about you die hard fans, they care about the key demo that make them the most money and sorry guys, most of you, arent it. Disney made the right choice here and I applaud them, MGM is horrible park that needs help, I will visit again when this new ride opens and believe me your average guest wont even know millionaire once existed.

JoeyGuacamole

Okay, as I've said before, I was a CM on Millionaire, and I loved the show, but don't you think it's time?

Sure themed weekends like Star Wars and ESPN brung in the audience, but more often then not we had to do what was called "Selling the show." In essence we were carnivale barkers yelling down Mickey avenue about the next show. Even after all of this (and I worked during the slow and busy months), the shows rarely filled. Mostly we got the people who had just gotten of Tower or RnRC and wanted a break.

On top of that, the show was rather inconvineant for guests as well. Remember how you had to show up at least 10 minutes before the show time? Yeah, niether did a lot of people. Do to Florida gaming comission rules, we had to have everyone in their seats while the rules were being read. If for some reason they wern't and they won, they would more than likley have to give up their prize. We had to turn away many angry people who did not make it in time. A coworker of mine was actually spit on -- no joke.

As for the space issue. the millionaire building has a lot more space than it let's on. the main theatre has 621 seats, plus there are office buildings and more theatres behind it. Yes the Honey i shrunk the kids set pieces are still there (along with some others). The ABC soundstage does not have near the amount of space that Millionaire has and plus it can be used for concerts, like the Doodlebops.

The attraction was great, but it just wasn't needed anymore. In fact, a backlands manager told me that it had the third worst attendance in the park. Sure, Drew was on top of the list, but they went with the bigger attraction.

I loved Millionaire, and loved working there, but this is what Disney needs, a new attraction to try and get people into the parks. Let it go, hopefully Midway Madness will be something we can all enjoy.

Chape19714

Okay, as I've said before, I was a CM on Millionaire, and I loved the show, but don't you think it's time?

Sure themed weekends like Star Wars and ESPN brung in the audience, but more often then not we had to do what was called "Selling the show." In essence we were carnivale barkers yelling down Mickey avenue about the next show. Even after all of this (and I worked during the slow and busy months), the shows rarely filled. Mostly we got the people who had just gotten of Tower or RnRC and wanted a break.

On top of that, the show was rather inconvineant for guests as well. Remember how you had to show up at least 10 minutes before the show time? Yeah, niether did a lot of people. Do to Florida gaming comission rules, we had to have everyone in their seats while the rules were being read. If for some reason they wern't and they won, they would more than likley have to give up their prize. We had to turn away many angry people who did not make it in time. A coworker of mine was actually spit on -- no joke.

As for the space issue. the millionaire building has a lot more space than it let's on. the main theatre has 621 seats, plus there are office buildings and more theatres behind it. Yes the Honey i shrunk the kids set pieces are still there (along with some others). The ABC soundstage does not have near the amount of space that Millionaire has and plus it can be used for concerts, like the Doodlebops.

The attraction was great, but it just wasn't needed anymore. In fact, a backlands manager told me that it had the third worst attendance in the park. Sure, Drew was on top of the list, but they went with the bigger attraction.

I loved Millionaire, and loved working there, but this is what Disney needs, a new attraction to try and get people into the parks. Let it go, hopefully Midway Madness will be something we can all enjoy.
Well said and Welcome to the Boards!

I guess we could always just threaten that there be no mickey avenue, like in 1989 for the Park's opening, the Millionaire stage was part of the backlot tour. It was then put in another tour (the backstage tour), and then converted to Millionaire. So it can either be an attraction, or it can be re-added to the backlot and Mickey Ave. Shut off. I vote for new attraction and no more millionaire.

Millionaire's time had come and gone, the above post states that most clearly.

Chux

It sucks, but at least I got into the hot seat, and was #1 on the board 4 times as time ran out.

<3 WWTBAMP. It was fun while it lasted.

ears2you

Half-filled theaters is probably why, by the same could be said about Sounds Dangerous which consistently has less than 25% of seats filled.

Even during peak season there was only 8 of us in there! 8!!! and im still mad about the alien encounter thing. that one ALWAYS had a line!!

While im at it- I miss Mr. Toad too....:cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom