After The Last Final Answer

GenerationX

According to the CM who gave me my Hot Seat winnings two weeks ago, they all (WWtbaM CMs) were happy the attraction had been renewed last year. It sounded as though there had been a good chance the last show would've been August, 2005.

Obviously, the TV show's popularity has waned - the questions in the pre-show were laughable (number of people who dial-in to try to be a contestant every day? the answer given was somewhere in the millions). I'm not heartbroken that it's gone and I'm sure that a fun attraction will take its place, but that doesn't change the fact that it was still very entertaining. It was and still is a good game show. It wasn't in the top tier of DS attractions (ToT, RnRC, Muppets), but it was easily in the middle tier.

On the plus side, the pins I won have now become more valuable. :p

manutdfan1

I dont think miday mania would be a very smart thing to put there, i mean we already have buzz lightyears space ranger spin. I shure hope they decide to put something else there. I would like to see a ride for kids since there isnt much for them to do there. How bout that idea for the nightmare before christmas dark ride. most grown ups would like that 2

Skippy

I dont think miday mania would be a very smart thing to put there, i mean we already have buzz lightyears space ranger spin.

While their are ideas of what Midway Mania is, we aren't absolutely sure how close it will be to Buzz, it won't be the same though.

kennyj29

Millionaire

I also loved the Millionaire attraction - Even though I never made it to the hot seat - Sounds Dangerous is a dying attraction also but from what I understand they have a Contract with Drew Carey that ends next year and then it will be replaced. It really needs to be replaced. My qualm is what about Super Star Television? When Drew Carey is replaced are they thinking of combing the two theaters and making something good? I'm just throwing it out there.

imagineer boy

SkipKid said:
On the top of my list:
The Great Movie Ride Refurb
Something to go in the Sounds Dangerous/ABC Theater buildings
Millionaire replacement
Overal help for Backlot /End of Mickey Ave

Another thing, the Backlot Tour needs SERIOUS help. I really wish they'd film movies at MGM again.

CThaddeus

Amazing. I've seen this attraction characterized as "old" and "needing to be replaced." I guess this means anything over 5 years old should just be bulldozed and turned into the all-powerful D- or E-Ticket attraction. It's gone now, and I know nothing can be done about it. But I still feel it to be a bad move. Those of you saying it was always only half-full - are you basing this on summer crowds or say, early February crowds? I was there in early May, and there was a line for it. It's a huge theater, as well. I would think it would need to be a busy day at the Park to fill it.
Unfortunately, I had to bypass Millionaire the first day I was there to make sure my friends saw all of the attractions that didn't exist already here in California. I kept hoping to get back to it, but time just wasn't on my side (and I made the mistake of going to LMA instead). I saw the show many times while it was here at California Adventure, but I had hoped to catch it once at Disney-MGM (if for no other reason than to potentially get in the hot seat again and get pins that said "Disney-MGM"). I'll miss it. It was nice to have an attraction that was not only interactive, but actually required you to use your brain and gave you a chance to leave with prizes. Oh well, it was over five years old and the show on TV isn't as popular as it once was (*cough, Splash Mountain, cough*).
Finally, as for Sounds Dangerous, there are those of us who enjoy this show, too. But, I have to remember it IS ancient now...over 10 YEARS OLD! Please, change it, kill it, slap in a meet-and-greet, please...anything but a show people still go to. I got it, how about a Raven ride? Golly, that would be just keen.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Amazing. I've seen this attraction characterized as "old" and "needing to be replaced." I guess this means anything over 5 years old should just be bulldozed and turned into the all-powerful D- or E-Ticket attraction. It's gone now, and I know nothing can be done about it. But I still feel it to be a bad move. Those of you saying it was always only half-full - are you basing this on summer crowds or say, early February crowds? I was there in early May, and there was a line for it. It's a huge theater, as well. I would think it would need to be a busy day at the Park to fill it.
Unfortunately, I had to bypass Millionaire the first day I was there to make sure my friends saw all of the attractions that didn't exist already here in California. I kept hoping to get back to it, but time just wasn't on my side (and I made the mistake of going to LMA instead). I saw the show many times while it was here at California Adventure, but I had hoped to catch it once at Disney-MGM (if for no other reason than to potentially get in the hot seat again and get pins that said "Disney-MGM"). I'll miss it. It was nice to have an attraction that was not only interactive, but actually required you to use your brain and gave you a chance to leave with prizes. Oh well, it was over five years old and the show on TV isn't as popular as it once was (*cough, Splash Mountain, cough*).
Finally, as for Sounds Dangerous, there are those of us who enjoy this show, too. But, I have to remember it IS ancient now...over 10 YEARS OLD! Please, change it, kill it, slap in a meet-and-greet, please...anything but a show people still go to. I got it, how about a Raven ride? Golly, that would be just keen.
Yes and no.

Certain attractions become timeless and will in essence last forever. Rides like PotC, Small World and the Jungle Cruise come to mind. Even though they are decades old guests still ride them in large numbers. Others like Millionaire and Sound Dangerous become dated and when their popularity drops their ridership below profitable levels the either need to be reinvented or replaced.

The same is true for nearly everything in the entertainment business. Artists like Sinatra, and the Beatles will pretty much live forever. They might not be as popular as they were in their heyday but they still maintain enough of a fowling to be very popular. On the opposite side of the coin remember the Spice Girls? Neither does anyone else.

kennyj29

Actually, I've never seen Millionaire empty but like the above Thread said, I guess it depends on the time of year. We always left the day after Thanksgiving and went the week after and it was always crowded even though it's not considered a crowded time. I don't think they should bulldoze something down because it's five years old, but if it's getting outdated and they can think of something better to bring in, so be it! I will miss millionaire but hopefully, I will enjoy what they will be putting in also. But Please do something with Super Star Television, that is such a waste of space!

DisneyDefenders

Original Poster
Bad Excuses Don't Equal Logic

So far I've heard all the same excuses repeated over and over again...

They needed the space...there is an even larger space available at Sounds Dangerous and the ABC Soundstage.

The TV show is not as popular...I don't even think the Drew Carey show is in syndication anywhere...Meredith Viera has been re-signed for 2 more years on the syndicated version of Millionaire and with her beginning to co-host the Today show, I'm sure that Millioanire viewers will increase as a result.

The syndicated show is a bad copy of the original...The only difference is there is no fastest finger because it is a 30 minute version of the program, so to save time they took out the fastest finger round. Someone said something about them adding a lifeline to imply that it needed something to spice up the show...Obviously this person knows little about Millionaire...the special primetime version with Regis SUPER MILLIONAIRE added 2 lifelines...so that argument makes no sense.

The shows were not filling up...As someone pointed out, you can't just make a general statement like that...At what time of year were they not...and if they weren't, how was attendance at other attractions in the park...I'm sure the numbers at Millionaire match up with the better attractions at the park, not the unpopular ones.

The show had ALOT going for it as I've mentioned...the TV show's current host, Meredith is begining to co-host the Today Show, the attraction kept the park a studio with the tapings of the TV show there once a year, PLUS what I consider the biggest oversight is that it would have been a good attraction to tie in to the Year Of A Million Dreams Celebration.

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
The decision doesn't really defy logic. Logically, Disney saw the (tv) show's loss in popularity, its lack of viewers and the fact that it was getting old. They needed an attraction with a re-visitability factor and Millionare didn't have that for as many guests as you would think. The show had its time and now its Midway Mania's turn. If it makes you feel any better, there will probably some kind of wink or tribute to Millionare inside of Midway Mania, most likely dialogue "Is that your final answer?" or "Can I use a lifeline?"

To be honest, WWTBAM never belonged in a Disney theme park anyway.

Frank Stallone

hmmm, where to begin with this.

1. The Disney-MGM Studios does not have the luxury of space, unlike the 3 other theme parks. Any location that can be used is coveted. Which is why, in the big scheme, the Backlot Tour will be gone within 5 years (budget permitting).

2. Mickey Avenue does not have an attraction that draws in guests. Backlot Tour, One Man's Dream, WWtbaM, and the Honey playground aren't exactly essential stops. Putting in a new attraction (and hopefully a good one) will help the 70/30 ratio (80% of the guests being on Sunset Blvd no matter what time of the day).

3. Costs more than Sounds Dangerous. As someone earlier mentioned, Sounds Dangerous, though a lousy attraction, only needs two cast members. Millionaire requires quite a few more, as well as two equity performers, and stage techs.

4. The television show's time has passed. The show used to be the biggest thing in America. Now it's on the same time as Montel Williams. Enough said.

5. The creepy regulars. Not a week went by when the cast members had a situation with one of the regulars. Usually they demanded to sit in a particular seat, or had to be in the fastest fingers seats. Or they smelled. Oh well, if you want to pay for an annual pass just to come and never win a cruise, go for it.

DisneyRoxMySox

5. The creepy regulars. Not a week went by when the cast members had a situation with one of the regulars. Usually they demanded to sit in a particular seat, or had to be in the fastest fingers seats. Or they smelled. Oh well, if you want to pay for an annual pass just to come and never win a cruise, go for it.

Tell me about it. The last few days it was terrible. :lookaroun

DisneyRoxMySox

To be honest, WWTBAM never belonged in a Disney theme park anyway.

Sorry for the double post. I missed this one. ^^^

Are you kidding me? This was an excellent attraction. The Backlot was a great place for this and a great new interactive show. A great replacement for whatever was in there before. :rolleyes:

Legacy

They needed the space...there is an even larger space available at Sounds Dangerous and the ABC Soundstage.

The TV show is not as popular...I don't even think the Drew Carey show is in syndication anywhere...Meredith Viera has been re-signed for 2 more years on the syndicated version of Millionaire and with her beginning to co-host the Today show, I'm sure that Millioanire viewers will increase as a result.

The syndicated show is a bad copy of the original...The only difference is there is no fastest finger because it is a 30 minute version of the program, so to save time they took out the fastest finger round. Someone said something about them adding a lifeline to imply that it needed something to spice up the show...Obviously this person knows little about Millionaire...the special primetime version with Regis SUPER MILLIONAIRE added 2 lifelines...so that argument makes no sense.

The shows were not filling up...As someone pointed out, you can't just make a general statement like that...At what time of year were they not...and if they weren't, how was attendance at other attractions in the park...I'm sure the numbers at Millionaire match up with the better attractions at the park, not the unpopular ones.

The show had ALOT going for it as I've mentioned...the TV show's current host, Meredith is begining to co-host the Today Show, the attraction kept the park a studio with the tapings of the TV show there once a year, PLUS what I consider the biggest oversight is that it would have been a good attraction to tie in to the Year Of A Million Dreams Celebration.
Point 1- Wrong. Millionare took up the size of 1.5 soundstages. Add in the fact that it is connected to another one, closing it down opens up nearly three soundstages for a new attraction, including queque, mechanics and ride itself. ABC theater is two pretty small theaters, plus a converence area.

Point 2- Meredith Viera isn't hosting the show at MGM. Here popularity does not come into play.

Point 3- In my mind, any show that is soley in syndication does not deserve to have an attraction (that will come into play later...)

Point 4- I'm not challenging the size of the audience, but here is a question for you... how many in the audience are repeat visitors? Meaning, how many keep going to the show time after time after time. The show wasn't for them. If the show isn't drawing in NEW guests, then its time has come.

And I really don't see how the attraction could "Tie in" with the Year of a Million Dreams other than in name only.
Are you kidding me? This was an excellent attraction. The Backlot was a great place for this and a great new interactive show. A great replacement for whatever was in there before. :rolleyes:
So is Fear Factor Live a better attraction, since it allows more people to actually participate? I'm sorry, but nothing about the show did it for me...

DisneyRoxMySox

So is Fear Factor Live a better attraction, since it allows more people to actually participate? I'm sorry, but nothing about the show did it for me...

I was trying to poing out that an interactive show for the entire family was new to WDW. Correct me if I am wrong.

CThaddeus

Point 1- Wrong. Millionare took up the size of 1.5 soundstages. Add in the fact that it is connected to another one, closing it down opens up nearly three soundstages for a new attraction, including queque, mechanics and ride itself. ABC theater is two pretty small theaters, plus a converence area.

Point 2- Meredith Viera isn't hosting the show at MGM. Here popularity does not come into play.

Point 3- In my mind, any show that is soley in syndication does not deserve to have an attraction (that will come into play later...)

Point 4- I'm not challenging the size of the audience, but here is a question for you... how many in the audience are repeat visitors? Meaning, how many keep going to the show time after time after time. The show wasn't for them. If the show isn't drawing in NEW guests, then its time has come.

And I really don't see how the attraction could "Tie in" with the Year of a Million Dreams other than in name only.

A rebuttal:

Point 1 - Space exitsts elsewhere for the new attraction. The Hunchback Theater is huge and could more than accomodate Midway Madness. It could also tie-in to the Pizza Planet/Al's Toy Barn areas with a little more retheming. Killing attractions is a bad idea at a Park that doesn't have all that many to begin with.
Point 2 - Popularity of a show could affect the popularity of an attraction. Look at what happened when they added Jack Sparrow to Pirates. It may be a temporary increase in popularity because of the currently popular movie, but it DID affect attendance of the attraction. As far as Millionaire goes, I guess we'll never know now, will we?
Point 3 - "The Twilight Zone." 'Nuff said.
Point 4 - Disney Parks are always filled with repeat visitors. Whether or not someone does an attraction once or 16 times in a day really doesn't matter. My guess is that less than 25% of the people in each show were in the previous show. I'm sure the figure is actually much smaller than that. Every day a lot of new people saw the show for the first time.

There are a few other arguments like no one can find the show on TV anymore. The original is still broadcast at least once a day on GSN (8pm M-F here, and 5 or 6 on weekends). Yes, they are repeats, but I know quite a few people - including myself - who still watch them. It's obviously not as dead a show as some think or GSN probably wouldn't be showing it as frequently as they do. In fact, sometimes I feel like it's the only game show on, because it's the only one I ever catch when I turn them on.
Next, it did belong at a Disney Park because it was a Disney-produced show. And it definitely belonged at the Studios because - duh - you shoot a television show in a soundstage in a studio. Wow. Hard connection there.
Others keep pointing out the cost to run it. If Disney didn't want to pay the cost (and I have no doubt they knew before it was even built what those costs would be), then why would they have bothered to do it at all? Great things don't come cheap. And while many might argue it wasn't great, I would disagree. It was fun, live, interactive, and challenging, and best of all it was never the same show twice. I suspect a number of those who hate the attraction so much only hate it because they couldn't get into the hot seat. Just a theory...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom