After Star Tours....is this what's next?

Disneyfan1981

I went from amazingly excited to painfully disappointed within 4 pages of texts. :lol: It was a fantastic idea and design but given that it was created just because and not for Disney I have a feeling that is the nail in the coffin. Who knows though maybe WDI will announce their own additions to the Star Wars universe soon enough because of all the positive hype this has received.

wizards8507

Is he licensed by Lucasfilm? I mean you cannot just build a Star Wars rollercoaster without their official permission.

That's true, but he doesn't own a theme park so he wouldn't be building a roller coaster anyways. My point was, now that he has a patent, neither Disney nor Universal could build THAT roller coaster without HIS permission.

GrumpyFan

Regardless of the patent or not and whether or not Disney or Universal is interested, that's an extremely complex ride, with a lot of moving pieces along individual tracks which would require several computers to keep in-sync (think TSMM) and moving along their course in time. I don't doubt that something like that could be built, but it would be costly and require lots of constant maintenance to keep it running as designed. It's a neat idea, but I just can't see it ever being built, anywhere.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So, the OPs post finally comes to light.

It was a design by someone looking for attention who happens to be in the industry. Nothing from inside or to do with the Mouse.

A bit like the Australia Showcase pavilion a few years ago someone made a big fuss over - since they designed it and hoped Disney would pay them to build it.

suburbianj

http://www.gordonrides.com/news/?p=67

straight from his news page,possible announcement of the new star wars ride???

Big Announcement in June 2011
We’re almost ready to share the big news! Check back here late June for a big announcement from GordonRides, LLC – this has been in the works for a while now, and we’re excited to share it with everyone!

El Grupo

http://www.gordonrides.com/news/?p=67

straight from his news page,possible announcement of the new star wars ride???

Big Announcement in June 2011
We’re almost ready to share the big news! Check back here late June for a big announcement from GordonRides, LLC – this has been in the works for a while now, and we’re excited to share it with everyone!

Just a guess, but I suspect that if either Disney or Universal had acquired the rights to this ride, the contract would have included some sort of non-disclosure agreement that would require Gordon to remain mum.

RSoxNo1

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't that they've sold an existing concept, but rather that they've been hired on to design a new concept. Having said that, the multi track coaster seems like a great ride system for a Tron Light Cycle ride.

robertharper85

This is VERY awesome and an excellent discover but keep in mind patents are created record and nothing ever happens with them. This actually could of been the destination developed for Disney land that was described in this matter of D23. Either way it's a fantastic discover and it would absolutely strike knitter out of the water!

FigmentJedi

So why are they wasting their money on James Cameron's Avatar again instead of building this and creating a Lucasland in the Studios?

RSoxNo1

Oh and HS isn't? :ROFLOL:

The last two substantial additions to AK were Everest and Finding Nemo in 2006. Since then, DHS has "added" Toy Story Mania, American Idol, and Star Tours. I also wouldn't be shocked if something else opened up between 2011-2015 in Hollywood Studios before World of Avatar opens in the Animal Kingdom.

flavious27

So why are they wasting their money on James Cameron's Avatar again instead of building this and creating a Lucasland in the Studios?

Because there are going to be another 2 avatar movies coming out, though this land is going to miss atleast the second movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom