After 40 years the building is themed!

The Empress Lilly

Disneyland's went through the Matterhorn!
And I rode it through it! :)

And if you thought Everest was an unfinished mountain on the inside...

I would say that the result looked fake and ruinous to the forced perspective of the Matterhorn. But that would be at odds with my own ideas about the castle parks. They are not exercises in historical re-enactment, or in realism.

Our Skyway had a bend in it, and was much longer. Bigger better prettier larger, ever the grownup version of DL. :cool:

06+DL_12_62_Matter_skyway_subs.jpg
13913033f079a45847232fe694580aab.jpg

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

You know, I dig both versions. I have really fond memories of 1990s Magic Kingdom in the evening hours. After driving the car in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, I remember going up the stairs to the Fantasyland station, looking out the windows and seeing the fireworks from the ride. I swear you could actually do that. I remember one vacation the buckets were gone, but the pylons remained. Next vacation, those were gone too.

The Empress Lilly

No, you're not alone. I think the MK FL infinitely superior to both DL and DLP. Beautywise, that is, not for rides. ;)

DL feels cartoony and small in scale. A haphazard collection of toonified village styles. And DLP lacks density, it feels like a park with large colourful objects with some crooked buildings along one side.
DLP%20Fantasyland%20Overview%2001.jpg

I do think I am alone in considering the 'old MK FL' the most gorgeous FL ever build.
This photo is lacking Space Mountain which opened in 1995 which suggests this is very old since that area looks very different now since the landscaping has tons more trees and DLP's equivalent of Princess Fairytale Hall is now located in the centre of that photo. I thought it looked a bit odd lol
By sheer coincidence, I took nearly the exact same picture this week. When I was going through my pictures I remembered your post. =D
Just for a fun a 'then and now' spanning two decades:

Paris aout 14 010.JPG

tirian

You know, I dig both versions. I have really fond memories of 1990s Magic Kingdom in the evening hours. After driving the car in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, I remember going up the stairs to the Fantasyland station, looking out the windows and seeing the fireworks from the ride. I swear you could actually do that. I remember one vacation the buckets were gone, but the pylons remained. Next vacation, those were gone too.
I remember watching the fireworks from the Skyway, too. It was incredible.

Animaniac93-98

Last edited:

jdmdisney99

Otamin

Another old picture, this one form 1978:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O2chMJP5Xos/VBu3Euhu5MI/AAAAAAAAGBw/ym78SaXBbnI/s1600/78FantlStreet.png

Notice things like the trees, the grey pavement with dividing brick patter (instead of all flat Main Street pink), the much better colour scheme on the tents and buildings, and of course, the Skyway. Old Fantsyland used to look better for sure.
Much better than what's there now.

Nowadays it's just incredibly oversaturated and just comes across as cheap.

jt04

By sheer coincidence, I took nearly the exact same picture this week. When I was going through my pictures I remembered your post. =D
Just for a fun a 'then and now' spanning two decades:

View attachment 63823

Looks fantastic but if the MK's paths were built on this scale it would be perpetual gridlock. It can barely handle today's crowds which is one of the reasons Frozen is heading to WS and new family attractions are likely heading to DHS. And obviously why the hub and MSUSA rework is underway.

EPCOTCenterLover

^^ DLP's walkways are wider than they look. But there are smaller paths that travel through charming areas. Even with all its troubles, DLP is the ultimate Magic Kingdom in the atmosphere department. At least in my opinion.

pumpkin7

I'm sure I've read in numerous books that the whole 'tent' theme of Fantasylands ride entrances was a last minute addition as the fronts of the rides were not going to be ready for opening day. They were meant to be temporary!
I wonder what they would have looked like had they all been completed.

DinoInstitute

I'm sure I've read in numerous books that the whole 'tent' theme of Fantasylands ride entrances was a last minute addition as the fronts of the rides were not going to be ready for opening day. They were meant to be temporary!
Sheesh, temporary and WDI don't mix well, do they?
I bet it would have been really nice though. I like Fantasyland, but as others have stated, it just looks a little cheap in that west end, and it needs to be updated to match that of New Fantasyland.

Communicore

They sure love tents here, do they!

raymusiccity

Sheesh, temporary and WDI don't mix well, do they?
I bet it would have been really nice though. I like Fantasyland, but as others have stated, it just looks a little cheap in that west end, and it needs to be updated to match that of New Fantasyland.

You're so right, Wish Disney could get their act together and go for a more unified match.

Here's an example of how much better Universal presents a cohesive look :)

Welcome to the Hogsmeade Coaster!

image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom