After 40 years the building is themed!

tirian

Isn't that second pic from Disneyland?

Edit: someone beat me to it.

TDO occasionally has a canals all over the park. Where do a make my FP+ reservation for this "Limited Time Magic Interactive Water Play Feature Experience"?

2393318254_d375a122c0_z.jpg

DisneyFlood.jpg

tirian

I guess I'm the only person here who doesn't think DL's FL is amazing. The cramped walkways and World Showcase "lite" theming don't impress me very much. Of course, it's still better than the older half of MK Fantasyland.

Fantasyland is definitely superior in Disneyland (as evident by the picture below), but we'll just have to put up with it sadly.

bavarian-village-fantasyland-disneyland.jpg

JediMasterMatt

Isn't that second pic from Disneyland?

Edit: someone beat me to it.

Yeah, I noticed it after I posted the picture. I was doing it from my phone during a conference call at work and I couldn't find the picture I was looking for (the Tomorrowland Speedway under water).

In TDO's defense, there is a small canal by the Tangled restrooms. I only hope it's an intentional stream of water and not the filtration system for the restrooms or water fountains in New Fantasyland.

The Empress Lilly

I guess I'm the only person here who doesn't think DL's FL is amazing. The cramped walkways and World Showcase "lite" theming don't impress me very much. Of course, it's still better than the older half of MK Fantasyland.
No, you're not alone. I think the MK FL infinitely superior to both DL and DLP. Beautywise, that is, not for rides. ;)

DL feels cartoony and small in scale. A haphazard collection of toonified village styles. And DLP lacks density, it feels like a park with large colourful objects with some crooked buildings along one side.
DLP%20Fantasyland%20Overview%2001.jpg

I do think I am alone in considering the 'old MK FL' the most gorgeous FL ever build.

11102-800.jpg

Attachments

• Fantasyland Skyway Station.jpg
    Fantasyland Skyway Station.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 214
  • mk1380.jpg
    mk1380.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 201

tirian

No, you're not alone. I think the MK FL infinitely superior to both DL and DLP. Beautywise, that is, not for rides. ;)

DL feels cartoony and small in scale. A haphazard collection of toonified village styles. And DLP lacks density, it feels like a park with large colourful objects with some crooked buildings along one side.

I do think I am alone in considering the 'old MK FL' the most gorgeous FL ever build.

View attachment 59143
I agree with you on all points. We need to claim minority status!

Old FL wasn't bad until modern Imagineers replaced the careful color schemes, trees, and layers of detail with cartoon palettes, concrete, and flat finishes. At least the Tangled bathrooms do help restore greenery and water features.

Last edited:

AndyS2992

And DLP lacks density, it feels like a park with large colourful objects with some crooked buildings along one side.

This photo is lacking Space Mountain which opened in 1995 which suggests this is very old since that area looks very different now since the landscaping has tons more trees and DLP's equivalent of Princess Fairytale Hall is now located in the centre of that photo. I thought it looked a bit odd lol

Victor Kelly

View attachment 59143

MK Fantasyland of Yesteryear. Beautiful picture of MK. So long ago I had forgotten.

LaunchPadMcQuack

Now that they've re-themed the exterior, I would live to see an update of the interior. They did a great job updating the total experience with Star Tours at HS. An updated higher resolution video at Philharmagic including Princess & the Frog, Brave, Tangled and Frozen would be nice.

Regardless, I've always enjoyed this ride and think it is one of the more underrated ones.

RMichael21

I was in DL last week for the first time and a really saw the difference to the WDW version. Each has their pros and cons. Disneyland's has charm and Walt Disney World's has a very classic feel to it.

Sped2424

View attachment 59143
That was about the only part of our fantasyland that was so classic and well themed, the rest was more or less a little low on high themeing. Everything from the teacups to toad hall was nowhere near as grand as the area near smallworld. While Disneyland's has a beautiful and well done fantasyland in almost all aspects and the small size makes it more personal. For me DLP looks like a secret garden found in a storybook.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

DL feels cartoony and small in scale. A haphazard collection of toonified village styles.

You're always referencing what was the single best part of the Magic Kingdom Fantasyland, aside from the enormous theme-killing Skyway pylons. Past the Pinocchio restaurant, while you have an awesome submarine lagoon, it's just more ugly tents and huge open areas of pavement.

EPCOTCenterLover

That was about the only part of our fantasyland that was so classic and well themed, the rest is more or less a little low on high themeing. Everything from the teacups to toad hall is nowhere near as grand as the area near smallworld. While Disneyland's has a beautiful and well done fantasy land in almost all aspects and the small size makes it more personal. While for me DLP looks like a secret garden found in a storybook.
Very well said. DLP's land is gorgeous in person- and the intricacies of the castle and dungeon is just the icing on the cake. DL's Fantasyland oozes charm, but it is immensely crowded due to its small size.

George Lucas on a Bench

Somehow, the crowds in Disneyland don't detract from it for me. I know even Walt wanted more space, but I think Disneyland's intimate design makes it better. The park's layout can basically handle huge crowds, it's just the parades or nighttime entertainment and stroller parking that tend to disrupt crowd flow. Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom is obviously more spacious for crowds, but now it's just way too big with not enough attractions. I've grown to generally dislike those huge open areas of pavement that are so prevalent at all the other parks. Where they ripped out Dumbo and completed the destruction of Magic Kingdom's original Fantasyland midway, you now have this enormous ugly open area of concrete. Put more foliage and attractions in there!

Sped2424

New Fantasyland was a nice addition, but I still think we are still low on the list of which is the most beautiful Fantasyland.
I would say it's Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, Magic Kingdom,Tokyo Disneyland, Hong Kong Disneyland.

The Empress Lilly

You're always referencing what was the single best part of the Magic Kingdom Fantasyland, aside from the enormous theme-killing Skyway pylons. Past the Pinocchio restaurant, while you have an awesome submarine lagoon, it's just more ugly tents and huge open areas of pavement.
Theme-killing Skyway pylons? From eyelevel the pylons weren't all that troublesome. And they added seating, shade, benches, fountains. And the Skyway added a lot of movement and excitement too.

Imgineering-Disney_THEN-AND-NOW_Fantasyland-10.jpg

I must say that when they were first gone I thought the MK looked barren without them. Now I think the MK looks cluttered with them. I guess one likes what one is familiar with!

As for theme-killing, FL had a Bavarian hillside town for it's theme near the veritable subland near the Skyway station. With the very Alpine transportation of a skyway. Theme-killing was the removal of the Skyway!

SkywayD01.jpg

Skywayf.jpg

Fantasyland+(3).JPG

skyway_view_3.jpg

Pics galore to show the brilliant charm and beauty of MK FL 1.0 ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom