Advise for a Potential Rookie at DLP?

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, our family is considering a trip to Paris next March (into April) - during our school Spring Break (two teachers and a college student) which means... extended Easter weekend. Both of us adults have been to Paris in the past, but it has been 25 years for my wife and 40 years for me, so it's almost like we have all never been. We most likely will have 5 and a half days to enjoy the area. Much as I think we would be more than happy to spend 5 days just in the city, we are (duh, regulars on this site) Disney people and want a couple days at DLP. And, most likely about a week after this trip our daughter will be starting with the College Program at WDW and then will be there through August.

Lots of opinion questions as we start getting into planning. Thoughts on which is better - 3 nights in downtown Paris and then 2 nights at DLP or maybe just metro out to DLP and stay in the same hotel the whole time (or even metro into the city and stay at DLP the whole time)? Is it worth the additional expense to be onsite? What onsite dining is really worth it? With only 1.5-2.5 days in the parks, should we even both with any table service or will it just cut into touring time? Highest priority attractions for a family that has done WDW more times than we can count and DL at least a few times?

And some veteran information that isn't readily available on the internet since DLP doesn't have a thousand info websites like the US parks do. How crazy might it be on Easter weekend? With Easter in March in 2024, are the parks still going to be somewhat limited on hours? I know some attractions are somewhat seasonal... what might still be closed in late March into early April?

Any other general advice and ideas are most welcome. @marni1971 @Swissmiss @fradz

SplashJacket

So, our family is considering a trip to Paris next March (into April) - during our school Spring Break (two teachers and a college student) which means... extended Easter weekend. Both of us adults have been to Paris in the past, but it has been 25 years for my wife and 40 years for me, so it's almost like we have all never been. We most likely will have 5 and a half days to enjoy the area. Much as I think we would be more than happy to spend 5 days just in the city, we are (duh, regulars on this site) Disney people and want a couple days at DLP. And, most likely about a week after this trip our daughter will be starting with the College Program at WDW and then will be there through August.

Lots of opinion questions as we start getting into planning. Thoughts on which is better - 3 nights in downtown Paris and then 2 nights at DLP or maybe just metro out to DLP and stay in the same hotel the whole time (or even metro into the city and stay at DLP the whole time)? Is it worth the additional expense to be onsite? What onsite dining is really worth it? With only 1.5-2.5 days in the parks, should we even both with any table service or will it just cut into touring time? Highest priority attractions for a family that has done WDW more times than we can count and DL at least a few times?

And some veteran information that isn't readily available on the internet since DLP doesn't have a thousand info websites like the US parks do. How crazy might it be on Easter weekend? With Easter in March in 2024, are the parks still going to be somewhat limited on hours? I know some attractions are somewhat seasonal... what might still be closed in late March into early April?

Any other general advice and ideas are most welcome. @marni1971 @Swissmiss @fradz
I've done both split Paris stays and full stays at DLP, and I really wouldn't recommend doing the commute approach. A split stay will be much nicer, especially if you spend multiple days in the parks.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
A few days ago I probably would have said go with the commute approach, but having had to drive r/t nearly 1’200 km for a one night stay because of train strikes, I’ll now say transfer to a hotel closer to DLP.

I know that my opinion is unpopular concerning staying onsite and eating onsite - even with my AP discount I find the cost of the DLP hotels not "worth" it anymore. Our "family room" for Friday night (in reality two separate hotel rooms with a connecting door) was just over EUR 265. Free shuttle on demand to the parks, each room with a kitchenette (kettle for tea and instant coffee provided) pool and hot tub, good restaurant. With my AP discount I wouldn’t get two rooms at the Santa Fe, would not have a pool or hot tub or a kettle in my room (ok, I’d rather have a Nespresso machine in the room but in a pinch instant coffee at least gets me to a place where I can get a real coffee) and not the same food options. I love the Newport but just can’t justify that even with my discount I pay more than double (and more like triple) to have the same amenities onsite (minus the kettle in the room - you have to go to the one coffee/tea machine per floor). Plus, despite my Mew England roots, I loathe fish and seafood and the smell of it, so the hotel restaurant is out for me 😉.

Easter may or may not be more crowded - it depends on where it falls on school holidays over here - some years it means only the Monday for French schools because their school holidays are based on number of weeks in school between breaks whereas in my part of Switzerland spring break is always tied to Easter - so when Easter falls in very early April the break comes then which is sometimes barely a month after the winter ski break. Regardless of crowds I know your family touring style and your ability to rope drop and stay late (something only I am capable of in my family) so you are already ahead of others.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I’d split stay it for sure with 2-2.5 days at DLP alongside 3 days in Paris likely being a good balance. Hopefully that answers your question, @brifraz :).

Obviously, you can spend longer in both (which I would recommend 7 in Paris and 4 nights at DLP), but with your limited time you should be able to see the highlights.

That extra morning at DLP will be very useful too if you stay on property (and even if you’re at a nearby hotel.

Check out my DLP Planning guide if you want more info!

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’d highly recommend staying on site; especially with limited time. We still find value onsite as opposed to Orlando plus your park passes are included, especially if you book well in advance. We have 3 nights at Sequoia coming up for roughly $800 - including 4 days park hoppers.

Park hours are likely to be quite long, plus extra magic hour, but it will be busy. Table serve is good, but it depends if you think it would reduce your park time by a few hours. For an American veteran I’d recommend Phantom Manor and Pirates, BTM, Small World and Space Mountain. Then work your way down the attraction list. Same for Tower of Terror. But part of the charm of Disneyland - especially for park fans - is just exploring the park and its rich details. You could spend a half day on Main Street alone if you want more than just rides.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
A few days ago I probably would have said go with the commute approach, but having had to drive r/t nearly 1’200 km for a one night stay because of train strikes, I’ll now say transfer to a hotel closer to DLP.

I know that my opinion is unpopular concerning staying onsite and eating onsite - even with my AP discount I find the cost of the DLP hotels not "worth" it anymore. Our "family room" for Friday night (in reality two separate hotel rooms with a connecting door) was just over EUR 265. Free shuttle on demand to the parks, each room with a kitchenette (kettle for tea and instant coffee provided) pool and hot tub, good restaurant. With my AP discount I wouldn’t get two rooms at the Santa Fe, would not have a pool or hot tub or a kettle in my room (ok, I’d rather have a Nespresso machine in the room but in a pinch instant coffee at least gets me to a place where I can get a real coffee) and not the same food options. I love the Newport but just can’t justify that even with my discount I pay more than double (and more like triple) to have the same amenities onsite (minus the kettle in the room - you have to go to the one coffee/tea machine per floor). Plus, despite my Mew England roots, I loathe fish and seafood and the smell of it, so the hotel restaurant is out for me 😉.

Easter may or may not be more crowded - it depends on where it falls on school holidays over here - some years it means only the Monday for French schools because their school holidays are based on number of weeks in school between breaks whereas in my part of Switzerland spring break is always tied to Easter - so when Easter falls in very early April the break comes then which is sometimes barely a month after the winter ski break. Regardless of crowds I know your family touring style and your ability to rope drop and stay late (something only I am capable of in my family) so you are already ahead of others.

Definitely some interesting options off-site. Also seeing a lot of 'apartment' type rentals nearby at quite low rates. Not sure if we are going to lean that way or offsite hotel... or just splurge and stay onsite. Lots to think about! We won't really care about the pool or hot tub and restaurant is not a huge priority in our hotel. Hmm....

Crossing fingers that the late March Easter will mean that most schools don't get a full break at that time and our (likely Sunday-Tuesday) visit will not be crowded!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I’d split stay it for sure with 2-2.5 days at DLP alongside 3 days in Paris likely being a good balance. Hopefully that answers your question, @brifraz :).

Obviously, you can spend longer in both (which I would recommend 7 in Paris and 4 nights at DLP), but with your limited time you should be able to see the highlights.

That extra morning at DLP will be very useful too if you stay on property (and even if you’re at a nearby hotel.

Check out my DLP Planning guide if you want more info!

Yeah, I wish we had more time to do this!! In a few years, when my wife and I both retire from full time teaching it will be very nice to be able to take actual vacations!!!

And huge thanks for the link to the DLP Planning Guide. Hadn't seen that when I've been shopping around the forums - no idea why!!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I’d highly recommend staying on site; especially with limited time. We still find value onsite as opposed to Orlando plus your park passes are included, especially if you book well in advance. We have 3 nights at Sequoia coming up for roughly $800 - including 4 days park hoppers.

Park hours are likely to be quite long, plus extra magic hour, but it will be busy. Table serve is good, but it depends if you think it would reduce your park time by a few hours. For an American veteran I’d recommend Phantom Manor and Pirates, BTM, Small World and Space Mountain. Then work your way down the attraction list. Same for Tower of Terror. But part of the charm of Disneyland - especially for park fans - is just exploring the park and its rich details. You could spend a half day on Main Street alone if you want more than just rides.

Going to have to do a lot of math to figure out our best value for where to stay. We do love being in the Disney Bubble that onsite provides, but also would rather have extra $$ to use for other things as we spend very little time in our hotel. Also, possibly considering getting a single Infinity Pass for one of us since it gets a significant discount on additional daily tickets plus the food, souvenir, and maybe hotel discounts.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Don't only use the American site to look at DLP packages, you can book through any country. The first time I booked I used the UK DLP site and this time I used the Ireland site (same offer was on a the Spain site too but Ireland's was in English and easier for me to read). Also if you need to call DLP for some reason just call a phone number for WDW and they can transfer you to DLP and then you'll avoid any international call fees (at least this worked a few years ago).

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Don't only use the American site to look at DLP packages, you can book through any country. The first time I booked I used the UK DLP site and this time I used the Ireland site (same offer was on a the Spain site too but Ireland's was in English and easier for me to read). Also if you need to call DLP for some reason just call a phone number for WDW and they can transfer you to DLP and then you'll avoid any international call fees (at least this worked a few years ago).

We've been using the UK DLP site for the most part (to the extent that I already have the British Pounds to US Dollars current rate memorized). Didn't realize there was a different Irish site - might have to check those out.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
We've been using the UK DLP site for the most part (to the extent that I already have the British Pounds to US Dollars current rate memorized). Didn't realize there was a different Irish site - might have to check those out.

The Irish one and the Spain one quoted in Euros.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Crossing fingers that the late March Easter will mean that most schools don't get a full break at that time and our (likely Sunday-Tuesday) visit will not be crowded!

I had a look for you (the vacation schedules are published 2-3 years in advance in France). It is definitely in between the two break periods but Easter Monday is a public holiday in France so there will be some additional crowds (mostly local) due to that. And you would need to do a bit a research to see whether the UK, Spain, Italy and the Netherlands are on break then (those are the primary languages other than French that I hear spoken in lines).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I had a look for you (the vacation schedules are published 2-3 years in advance in France). It is definitely in between the two break periods but Easter Monday is a public holiday in France so there will be some additional crowds (mostly local) due to that. And you would need to do a bit a research to see whether the UK, Spain, Italy and the Netherlands are on break then (those are the primary languages other than French that I hear spoken in lines).
UK schools are out Friday 29 March to Friday 12 April 2024. Easter is also a 4 day weekend here.

Sir_Cliff

Going to have to do a lot of math to figure out our best value for where to stay. We do love being in the Disney Bubble that onsite provides, but also would rather have extra $$ to use for other things as we spend very little time in our hotel. Also, possibly considering getting a single Infinity Pass for one of us since it gets a significant discount on additional daily tickets plus the food, souvenir, and maybe hotel discounts.
One of the factors that came to mind to me when I read your initial post is whether you rate the 'Disney Bubble' as worth the extra cost when you go to WDW. If you do and can afford it at DLP, I would lean toward staying onsite just so you can make the most of the 2-2.5 days you're there and get a little mini-vacation from your vacation in Paris. If you're happy staying off-site to save money, though, I can see staying nearby as being a better option.

My experience of going a few weeks ago and staying at Sequoia was that the package including tickets and half board (breakfast buffet and vouchers for another sit-down meal for each night) was pretty decent value. You get the early entry and, at least in our case, we ended up just having breakfast and dinner which meant we didn't actually spend all that much once we got there. That might also involve whether you want to eat at sit-down restaurants. In my experience, the food isn't all that great (outside of Walt's), but I've always enjoyed having a more relaxing meal and to see some of the restaurants as part of my time there. Again, if you're staying at the resort you might be less pressed for time in that regard.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
One of the factors that came to mind to me when I read your initial post is whether you rate the 'Disney Bubble' as worth the extra cost when you go to WDW. If you do and can afford it at DLP, I would lean toward staying onsite just so you can make the most of the 2-2.5 days you're there and get a little mini-vacation from your vacation in Paris. If you're happy staying off-site to save money, though, I can see staying nearby as being a better option.

I should preface my comment that I have an Infinity AP, so I get early entrance regardless of where I stay, but as the hotel I have found in Val d’Europe has a shuttle on demand to the parks, it takes me no longer to get there than walking from the hotels do (or at most 5 mins) because the shuttle drop off is at the roundabout by 5 Guys and the drive is less than 10 mins. Plus to not "fight" through the crowds in Disney Village as I leave is a plus 😉

Jordan dby

In my experience Paris is the only one where the disney bubble is worth it.

DL - onsite hotels (whenever I've been or done quotes) have been an absolute rip off, and there are plenty of hotels nearby with shuttles or easy walks

WDW - so big there is no such thing as an onsite hotel, you'll still need to drive, train, bus or whatever to 3 of the 4 parks at least.

DLP - maybe because I book early, but with cost of tickets included the hotels usually end up about free. Getting to the hotels early enough / staying late enough can be a pain and usually needs another local hotel to ensure you get the most of your 3 days with your 2 night stay. But once there everything is walkable, there are characters in the hotels. Top tier dining packages that include character dining is much more reasonable than USA too.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
DLP - maybe because I book early, but with cost of tickets included the hotels usually end up about free. Getting to the hotels early enough / staying late enough can be a pain and usually needs another local hotel to ensure you get the most of your 3 days with your 2 night stay.

I think this is why I always took issue with staying onsite - I didn’t like that the tickets are bundled in with the room, with no possibility of changing the number of days, because I always had at least one day when I was arriving after park closure or leaving before park opening. And nowadays the AP discounts don’t make it worth it (for me) because I have early entry regardless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom