Advice - Orlando this Summer... What to Do?

BlakeW39

Original Poster
I am coming to Orlando FL this July and, even though I have been many times, I am left questioning what to do. I am staying for one week - and I know that we will do Disney's Magic and Animal Kingdoms, as well as Universal's Islands of Adventure. Those 3 parks are a given. However, I am not decided on what would be best to do with the rest of the week. Should I keep parks to 3? If not, what others should I do? Water parks even? Epcot? Idk. Advice please :)

LauraRose

I personally love Epcot! I’d avoid Hollywood Studios as I’m sure most people would advise. Magic kingdom and Epcot are my must do’s. Have a great trip!

Lunair

Okay. I kind of wanted to see Epcot and I was wondering if I should do that rather than, like, Typhoon Lagoon or Universal Studios, for example. Thanks :)
It all depends on the type of vacation you want to have. No matter what parks you choose you'll have a great time.

However, there's just something really relaxing about Typhoon Lagoon in the summer. It can be a great break from hitting the other parks all day. Sometimes you need that break day to reset before going back to the main parks. The atmosphere there is perfect. On the other hand, I think Blizzard Beach has slightly better rides (more thrilling though) but the relaxing atmosphere is better at Typhoon. We typically go to Typhoon mid-week followed by a dinner at Disney Springs.

But if you want to visit Epcot, that's a great option as well. It can be a lot of fun strolling through the countries and checking out unique shops (like Japan). It's just that some people get burnt out if they do too many main parks back-to-back. Particularly in the summer heat.

JIMINYCR

Visit EP... then when youve done what you want there, leave through the International Gateway and stroll over to the Boardwalk. After you have spent time there you can walk over to play some rounds of miniature golf at Fantasia Gardens across from the Swan Resort.

Purr_Meow

If you want to stray away from the parks for a bit too, there are plenty of things to do on I-Drive. The Coca Cola Orlando Eye, Wonderworks, I believe there is a Ripley’s Believe it or Not there too.

LUVofDIS

It really depends what you enjoy, but if you want opinions than EPCOT is good and I like another posters recommendation to jump over to HS for TOT ( the greatest ride ever). But with it being July in Florida a day or half a day at Typhoon Lagoon could be an awesome break mid-week.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am coming to Orlando FL this July and, even though I have been many times, I am left questioning what to do. I am staying for one week - and I know that we will do Disney's Magic and Animal Kingdoms, as well as Universal's Islands of Adventure. Those 3 parks are a given. However, I am not decided on what would be best to do with the rest of the week. Should I keep parks to 3? If not, what others should I do? Water parks even? Epcot? Idk. Advice please :)

Charter an airboat for a day, It will be one of the most amazing experiences of your life, Visit Kennedy Space Center, do the tours. Visit the Merrit Island bird sanctuary

BoarderPhreak

Hit MK and EC for sure. Hit AK if you can, maybe split AK/HS if you must. Try a water park or mini-golf - on-property or out on Intntl Drive.

Prepare to sweat your... Mickey ears off.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Echoing Chef Mickey's sentiments - Don't miss EPCOT. As for other things, if you want to explore alternate offerings: I-Drive south of Sandlake is really stepping up its game with some nice chain and high quality restaurants. Decent attraction and entertainment options as well. Seaworld is worth a day visit. If you want to shop, hit one of the several outlet malls. You can easily spend a couple of days in the Orlando tourist corridors - completely outside of Disney. If you want something different, hop in the car and go east for about an hour and hit the Kennedy Space Center or Cocoa Beach. Or make the hour trip in the opposite direction and explore Busch Gardens.

eliza61nyc

What to do? My guess is sweat a lot!

LOL. it's going to be "10 minutes from Hell" hot, as my grandmother from New Orleans would say.

Anyhoo, op as much as I love Epcot and believe me I do, I would say it depends on where you are staying. Do you have access to a pool? If you can chill at the pool to cool off for a day then I would say Epcot. if not do a water park

Walt Disney1955

Lots to do in Orlando. Even outside of Disney. But if you want to veer outside of Disney the rest of the way then try Sea World. Definitely worth it. Busch Gardens in Tampa is worth it as well if you ever wanted to go to a roller coaster park that married a zoo. No, seriously, it is a neat concept.

Other things..........how about Universal Studios? You said Islands of Adventure, and that is the better park of the two but Universal is still worth it.

Then there are other things to see. Titanic Experience, Gatorland, Holy Land, Kennedy Space Centre............lots of beaches too that aren't very far away.

Lastly, if you are a sports fan how about seeing a baseball game in Tampa? I saw a hockey game in March 2010 with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Tampa is really not very far from Orlando.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I am left questioning what to do
Melt in the heat :p
I am not decided on what would be best to do with the rest of the week
I'd visit one (both?) Disney's water parks.

I also dedicate at least two days to MK, as there's so much to do, and with Pandora now in AK, I'm sure you can spend a full day there as well.

We have have 8 full days (10 excluding our arrival/departure) and we plan the following
1 day for the water park,
1 day for a resort day
3 days for MK
2 days for Epcot
1 day for AK.

We may squeeze in HS during our resort day, but I'm not sure. I'd love to visit some of HS, but there's not enough imo to spend a full day there.

BlakeW39

Original Poster
So my trip is now coming up (I leave July 6) and I thought I would come here and check out these ideas now that we're closer to deciding. Thank you all for the info! :D definitely want to reply to the comments about the possibilities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom