Advice for UK Visitors (Don't wear tops at Disney)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannab@dis

Yup. And that's also an opinion, which happens to be the complete opposite of mine.

Some may call it immature, I call it being mature enough to choose what you want.

Some call it lame, I call it clever
So says the person with the childish and not at all clever signature... :rolleyes:

PhotoDave219

Fair enough. Where do I complain about the religious shirts I see in the park? Or political shirts? Or any military shirts? I find all three of those offensive. Why are they allowed? I spend my money there as well, so why is my opinion (and those of people like me) ignored?

Rob..... Yeah i know who you mean. Learn from him. Join the family business. :D

Anyways.... Disney's biggest problem with t-shirts, dress code and behavior as a whole is enforcement. When we worked there, everyone always said it was someone else's job. And until they get some conststancy at the front gates, people will get in with T-shirts that they shouldnt. Its just going to happen.

Religious and Political Shirts - albeit as much as we may or may not find them offensive - can be construed as protected free speech. Disney tries to go after them and thats an entire mess of bad PR they just created for themselves. Thats something Fox 5 will eat up. Heck, it would even make a WESH-2 exclusive with the "victims". (I really dont mind the miltary shirts, and thats an entire can of worms i'm not going to open up on these forums).

Besides, isn't Disney supposed to be tolerent of everyone in a family friendly way? isn't theme park appropriate, but its certainly acceptable at Motions at PI. *insert your own joke here* There's a place for it... but not where little kids would be. (Although i think i'd rather explain the idea of bad words to a 5 year old then trying to explain religious or political history and frame it in the proper context)

Either way, its just a t-shirt. Nowhere near as bad as V bringin her one-week-old baby to Adv Club.

Fluxuated

Good for Disney, I support them turning away people with no common sense wearing Shirts and stuff. It's not against Brits, it's against any idiot that would wear inappropriate clothing to a family park. Too bad more companies don't do this.

Disneyfanman

Okay, this is really easy.

The only purpose to naming the company is because it looks just like something else. That's their intent from the beginning. It isn't that they wanted to be called this and later, after printing thousands of shirts, letterhead, business cards and whatnot did they realize their error. So those that think this is a stupid controversy really need to step back and realize that they want you to associate their brand with F---!!! And that's it. That's why they sell the shirts.

For the consumer. They buy the products because they say ! Becuase it looks like F---. It is funny. I personally wouldn't buy one. But if it was with the actual words written out, it is funny. To wear it and not explain the joke is funny just to the wearer because they WANT everybody to think it means (boy, how many times am I accidently going to almost type that one wrong???). It's a gag to shock people and make them shake their heads. It's not because they like the brand. It isn't because it's a comfortible fit. It's because it almost says something naughty.

So for Disney to take a stand against a company that markets their product to look just like F--- but just slightly different because it can marginally pass for acceptable -- even though they know they are completely being not socially acceptable is fine in my book. To take a stand against wearers that clearly only have one purpose, and that is to turn heads in the parks and make people shake their heads in mild to medium discust. If they really had any guts for their cause they wouldn't beat around the bush (is that phrase banned as well). Actually it actually makes the wearer look like a bigger schmuck by pretending to skirt the issue.

So good call Disney. They understand the purpose of wearing the brand. And also the reaction to the brand. And they feel it is not acceptable. Great Job. Just make sure you don't exclude any minority or special interest groups. That could be a problem. But censoring T-Shirts. Perfectly fine.

I love this post! Goooooooooooooooooooooooooo Disney! I too vote with my wallet, and things like this make me happier to give my cash to the mouse. One only has to visit a six flags theme park to understand the value of enforcing a dress policy at a family park. Because six flags parks are absolutely filled with people in unbelievably inappropriate attire, despite a more visible, posted dress code. Disney is more descrete about its policy, yet enforces it. As a parent, and as a person, I am not a prude, but I support any company willing to take a stand on stuff like this. It's not personal, it's appropriate! Of course, there is the whole Flash Mountain discussion..........but we can save that for another post.

dazzer68

wow look at this thread wheres it going?

at the end of it all its private property and if disney dont want it , disney dont want it, they could make every one where suits and dresses if thats what they wanted, it might not make financial sense but they could.
i think its a good idea, i dont want to walk around the park looking at tshirt with what could be offensive slogans on them, and anything else come to that regarding in appropraite dressing.yes vote with your wallet, i know i will be!

kirst_al UK

wow look at this thread wheres it going?

at the end of it all its private property and if disney dont want it , disney dont want it, they could make every one where suits and dresses if thats what they wanted, it might not make financial sense but they could.
i think its a good idea, i dont want to walk around the park looking at tshirt with what could be offensive slogans on them, and anything else come to that regarding in appropraite dressing.yes vote with your wallet, i know i will be!

I was thinking the same......people get so engrosed its funny :) !!

If folk want to jepodise their day in the world let em wear a shirt of which disney feel is offensive. Our opinions are not going to change this and i know if its between a day in the park or a t-shirt.....i know which i'd choose !!

JDM

Look folks, let's call it what it is.....

These shirts were created and marketed to grab attention and cause controversy. They can say "it stands for something else" all they want, but the shirts (and the brand) are designed to get exactly the reaction they are getting at Disney.

The whole thing is just tasteless and immature, in my opinion.

Disney is right to ban them and so should any school.

it's not about "free speech" or "personal expression". It's about deliberately trying to tick people off. And that's just wrong.

DisneyMusician2

Bottom Line: Its private property. They have the right to deny admission, based on certain criteria. Just like certain restaurants won't seat you in shorts, Disney is saying what they want you to wear. Right or wrong, it's their park. Deal with it or stay home! :)

jane.steve11

Original Poster
This was the first new thread I have created and Wow what a response. I felt I could add a bit more and comment on some of the replies posted. I fully accept that Disney have a right to refuse entrance to people wearing what they deem to be inappropriate clothing and in retrospect I should have thought about it a bit more. The problem is, that as many in the US won't appreciate, many people in the UK wouldn't think twice about wearing such a t-shirt to visit a UK theme park and I was merely trying to save any other visitors the embarrassment of having to strip off at the gate and turn the top inside out, by posting on this board. If I had been daft enough to put on a t-shirt with a foot high logo saying I would have fully expected to be pulled over, but I honestly didn't realise a fashionable shirt with no more than 1/2 inch writing on the left breast of the shirt would have created any controversy...you can barely read it unless you are close up...but never mind I completely accept Disney's right to refuse entry in the article.

I am, however, a little suprised at some of the comments posted in reply and do not particularly appreciate remarks aimed at myself or other visitors as being "idiots" for wearing or only wearing it to make a statement. As the many UK contributors to this board will probably agree, the brand is a widespread sight in the UK and I note more shops are popping up even in the Orlando area. No-one seems to complain about the 2 foot high letters on the sign to the front of the store at the Orlando Premium Outlets. Perhaps in the beginning the brand was cleverly launched because they knew it would be controversial and therefore a gauranteed sales hit. Nowadays, however, the brand is commonplace across the UK and you are just as likely to see children wearing clothing as adults.

One point I would like to make though, if Disney are going to use this policy, it should ensure that this and other policies are applied across the board to everyone. Once inside the park I did see a small number of people wearing t-shirts with much larger and other potentially offensive logo's. Additionally, someone posted a list of some of the rules, with one referring for the need for appropriate clothing ... I have seen many girls and young women walking around the park in bikini tops. Whilst I am not offended by this, this is clearly against the policy unless in one of the water parks, but none of the cast members seem to address this issue. Moreover for people who smoke in the park...I have tackled people smoking in non-designated areas (not normally successfully), as I certainly consider the impact of second hand smoke on people and children as being far worse than a small logo on a t-shirt. I have, however, never seen cast members tackling people who flaunt the smoking regulations.

Finally, I would make comment on one t-shirt that disney actually sell. In MGM (Star Wars shop) there is a t-shirt with a picture of Yoda on saying "Whose your Daddy?". Whilst I don't find it offensive I have friends who do and would not wish their children to wear such items or answer questions about what it means. I am sure Disney would not ban their own t-shirts if a number of guests complained about it though. Anyway, I am pleased it has produced a good debate and brought it to the attention of people, especially Brits, who do have a much more relaxed view on clothing and its acceptability.

I only wish that Disney would stop young men walking around the Parks with their jeans / trousers around their ankles and their underwear on show. It doesn't offend me but it looks bloody stupid.:D

PhotoDave219

I only wish that Disney would stop young men walking around the Parks with their jeans / trousers around their ankles and their underwear on show. It doesn't offend me but it looks bloody stupid.:D

Well, eventually ticket prices will be high enough to keep them out.....

coasterphil

One point I would like to make though, if Disney are going to use this policy, it should ensure that this and other policies are applied across the board to everyone. Once inside the park I did see a small number of people wearing t-shirts with much larger and other potentially offensive logo's.

Thats because a lot of park greeter CMs either don't think it is their responsibility or don't want to deal with a confrontation. They assume someone else down the line will deal with it if it is truly a problem. You just happened to get someone who took their job and the rules very seriously.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Thats because a lot of park greeter CMs either don't think it is their responsibility or don't want to deal with a confrontation. They assume someone else down the line will deal with it if it is truly a problem. You just happened to get someone who took their job and the rules very seriously.
True. Disney CM's are about as consistent as the TSA.

kirst_al UK

This was the first new thread I have created and Wow what a response. I felt I could add a bit more and comment on some of the replies posted. I fully accept that Disney have a right to refuse entrance to people wearing what they deem to be inappropriate clothing and in retrospect I should have thought about it a bit more. The problem is, that as many in the US won't appreciate, many people in the UK wouldn't think twice about wearing such a t-shirt to visit a UK theme park and I was merely trying to save any other visitors the embarrassment of having to strip off at the gate and turn the top inside out, by posting on this board. If I had been daft enough to put on a t-shirt with a foot high logo saying I would have fully expected to be pulled over, but I honestly didn't realise a fashionable shirt with no more than 1/2 inch writing on the left breast of the shirt would have created any controversy...you can barely read it unless you are close up...but never mind I completely accept Disney's right to refuse entry in the article.

I am, however, a little suprised at some of the comments posted in reply and do not particularly appreciate remarks aimed at myself or other visitors as being "idiots" for wearing or only wearing it to make a statement. As the many UK contributors to this board will probably agree, the brand is a widespread sight in the UK and I note more shops are popping up even in the Orlando area. No-one seems to complain about the 2 foot high letters on the sign to the front of the store at the Orlando Premium Outlets. Perhaps in the beginning the brand was cleverly launched because they knew it would be controversial and therefore a gauranteed sales hit. Nowadays, however, the brand is commonplace across the UK and you are just as likely to see children wearing clothing as adults.

One point I would like to make though, if Disney are going to use this policy, it should ensure that this and other policies are applied across the board to everyone. Once inside the park I did see a small number of people wearing t-shirts with much larger and other potentially offensive logo's. Additionally, someone posted a list of some of the rules, with one referring for the need for appropriate clothing ... I have seen many girls and young women walking around the park in bikini tops. Whilst I am not offended by this, this is clearly against the policy unless in one of the water parks, but none of the cast members seem to address this issue. Moreover for people who smoke in the park...I have tackled people smoking in non-designated areas (not normally successfully), as I certainly consider the impact of second hand smoke on people and children as being far worse than a small logo on a t-shirt. I have, however, never seen cast members tackling people who flaunt the smoking regulations.

Finally, I would make comment on one t-shirt that disney actually sell. In MGM (Star Wars shop) there is a t-shirt with a picture of Yoda on saying "Whose your Daddy?". Whilst I don't find it offensive I have friends who do and would not wish their children to wear such items or answer questions about what it means. I am sure Disney would not ban their own t-shirts if a number of guests complained about it though. Anyway, I am pleased it has produced a good debate and brought it to the attention of people, especially Brits, who do have a much more relaxed view on clothing and its acceptability.

Well said :sohappy: - completely agree with everything you've just said....

Lucky

CMs also are inconsistent about enforcing the policy against roller skate shoes on WDW property. I saw a teenage boy skate right into a woman at an AK gift shop.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
CMs also are inconsistent about enforcing the policy against roller skate shoes on WDW property. I saw a teenage boy skate right into a woman at an AK gift shop.
That's the only thing consistent about WDW CM's. Their inconsistency

josenk

It's wlel knwon taht you can keep the frist and last ltetres of a wrod, mix up the rset and your barin will atuomatcially "Fix" it bcak to smoetihng it recgoniezs.

(See how easy it was to read that... :lol: )

is jsut planyig wtih yuor mnid...

jtced

I think you were trying to say that it's not clever, it's immature. It's not funny it's stupid. It's not the next great thing, it's just a lame attention stealing method. Am I on track here? :)

Thank you, enough said. I depends on how you live your life on how you are going to view this. Half says yes, other half says no.:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom