Adventureland Smoking Section Removed

TheOrangeBird01

Don't know if this has been said already, but I'll say it again if it has ...

I think there should be one designated smoking area inside the park, but that is it. Eliminating them completely is unrealistic, although I wish it would happen. If you just put all the smokers in one remote area in the park, then the people who don't want to breathe that in won't have to, and the smokers still have a place to go.

When I was younger my family tried to take a picture by Snow White's wishing well beside Cinderella Castle. Unfortunately to get to the well you had to go past the smoking area and all I remember is us plugging our noses until we got to the well, we took a picture and then ran out. Some of us don't want to have to be around smoke in a family friendly theme park. I hope they continue to reduce the smoking areas.

Disney.Mike

Don't know if this has been said already, but I'll say it again if it has ...

I think there should be one designated smoking area inside the park, but that is it. Eliminating them completely is unrealistic, although I wish it would happen. If you just put all the smokers in one remote area in the park, then the people who don't want to breathe that in won't have to, and the smokers still have a place to go.

When I was younger my family tried to take a picture by Snow White's wishing well beside Cinderella Castle. Unfortunately to get to the well you had to go past the smoking area and all I remember is us plugging our noses until we got to the well, we took a picture and then ran out. Some of us don't want to have to be around smoke in a family friendly theme park. I hope they continue to reduce the smoking areas.

Thankfully Disney doesn't care what you think

dreamfinder912

Smoking is a bad habit just like any other. But it's one of the more common ones that negatively effect the health of other people. There need to be accessible smoking areas.The Adventureland area, and the one by the castle, were atrocious and I'm very glad they're gone. The one on that little path between Storybook Circus and Tomorrowland? Genius. Mostly disused areas that are also easy to get to should be made available to smokers.

I have a huge problem with the amount of people not bothering to GO to those areas, vaping people included. I had a guy vaping in line for Soarin last week and i was absolutely dumbfounded. Disney considers that smoking AND hello YOU ARE IN AN ATTRACTION. Or ones that are in the "general area" of a smoking section and get angry when I ask them to return to that section. (Case and point, someone near Dinosaur Gertie claiming they're in the smoking section when it's halfway across Echo lake).

As for banning it, for those who smoke I'd imagine it would be like banning restrooms. To non smokers it's a dangerous bad habit that costs a lot of money and ruins peace and health etc etc. To smokers it is as much a need as using the facilities. For the sake of peace, just please stay in the smoking section. I wouldn't be looked at favorably for attending to any of bodily functions just wherever so please please please stay in the smoking section.

Section106

...Smokers have a right to smoke...

Smokers do not have a right to smoke. It can and is regulated by federal, state, and local governments and can be banned at anytime. No where in the constitution is there an enumerated right to smoke. And therefore when Disney eventually removes the last smoking area all the smokers will have to just deal with it.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I wish peopl

Smokers do not have a right to smoke. It can and is regulated by federal, state, and local governments and can be banned at anytime. No where in the constitution is there an enumerated right to smoke. And therefore when Disney eventually removes the last smoking area all the smokers will have to just deal with it.
However, it is not banned.

Disney has every right to declare their property non-smoking if they wish. But, they will find that people still smoke anyway. Non-american cultures are not nearly as uptight about smoking as the US is, as one point alone...

Much better to keep it constrained to areas. Banning something doesn't make it go away. I've seen people smoke cigs (and frankly other things) all over the parks throughout the years. Furthermore, as their policy is that e-cigs are equal to smoking, then removing these merely offers an opportunity for others to puff and walk using ecigs.

That said, I'm glad this one closed. Like many of the other ones that were right along major pathways, it was just terribly placed.

Section106

However, it is not banned.

Disney has every right to declare their property non-smoking if they wish. But, they will find that people still smoke anyway. Non-american cultures are not nearly as uptight about smoking as the US is, as one point alone...

Much better to keep it constrained to areas. Banning something doesn't make it go away. I've seen people smoke cigs (and frankly other things) all over the parks throughout the years. Furthermore, as their policy is that e-cigs are equal to smoking, then removing these merely offers an opportunity for others to puff and walk using ecigs.

That said, I'm glad this one closed. Like many of the other ones that were right along major pathways, it was just terribly placed.

You are right, banning something doesn't make it go away, right now. But it makes it go away eventually, and that is where smoking tobacco is headed.

Here are some facts from the CDC:
CDC said:
Cigarette smoking is the leading preventable cause of death in the United States.1

• Cigarette smoking causes more than 480,000 deaths each year in the United States. This is nearly one in five deaths.1,2,3
  • Smoking causes more deaths each year than the following causes combined:4
    • Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
    • Illegal drug use
    • Alcohol use
    • Motor vehicle injuries
    • Firearm-related incidents
  • More than 10 times as many U.S. citizens have died prematurely from cigarette smoking than have died in all the wars fought by the United States during its history.1
  • Smoking causes about 90% (or 9 out of 10) of all lung cancer deaths in men and women.1,2 More women die from lung cancer each year than from breast cancer.5
  • About 80% (or 8 out of 10) of all deaths from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) are caused by smoking.1
  • Cigarette smoking increases risk for death from all causes in men and women.1
  • The risk of dying from cigarette smoking has increased over the last 50 years in men and women in the United States.1
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/effects_cig_smoking/

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You are right, banning something doesn't make it go away, right now. But it makes it go away eventually, and that is where smoking tobacco is headed.

Here are some facts from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/effects_cig_smoking/
You are not clever by posting the negative health effects of smoking. They are well known, and have been for decades.

You also claim no moral high ground because of a legal decision another adult chooses to make with their own health and well being.

That, sir, is called arrogance of the first class.

Section106

You are not clever by posting the negative health effects of smoking. They are well known, and have been for decades.

You also claim no moral high ground because of a legal decision another adult chooses to make with their own health and well being.

That, sir, is called arrogance of the first class.

What legal decision are you referring to? There is no constitutional right to smoke tobacco in the US. And since secondhand smoke kills 50,000 people annually the "legal" decision you refer to does affect others. When someone lights up in public they are literally spreading poison to everyone in the area. When you smell a cigarette you are inhaling its poison. Poison that is lethal the more you are exposed to it. Corralling smokers into areas or rooms only concentrates that poison which has other lasting health effects on those that are exposed.

Cigarettes are dangerous to everyone. Especially since the tobacco companies add chemicals that are known carcinogens. Oddly enough, nicotine isn't toxic. I have no problem with anyone that wants to vape. Vape away, kids. Or chew the gum. Or wear a patch or twelve. That's your business. But knowingly blowing poison that kills 480,000 people a year directly and 50,000 a year indirectly and then defending that choice by saying, "I'm only hurting myself, " is the actual first class arrogance here.

FoodRockz

I will keep this brief, because I'm sure my sentiment has already been shared. Some of the "analogies" made in this thread are nonsense. Eating fried food, drinking alcohol, etc. All of those things only damage the well-being of the individual making the choice, not others who just happen to be nearby. I may be biased because of how many COPD patients I see struggling to stay alive, but seeing a full ban would make me happy.
P.S. But Disney's wallet would be too sad, I think.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What legal decision are you referring to? There is no constitutional right to smoke tobacco in the US. And since secondhand smoke kills 50,000 people annually the "legal" decision you refer to does affect others. When someone lights up in public they are literally spreading poison to everyone in the area. When you smell a cigarette you are inhaling its poison. Poison that is lethal the more you are exposed to it. Corralling smokers into areas or rooms only concentrates that poison which has other lasting health effects on those that are exposed.

Cigarettes are dangerous to everyone. Especially since the tobacco companies add chemicals that are known carcinogens. Oddly enough, nicotine isn't toxic. I have no problem with anyone that wants to vape. Vape away, kids. Or chew the gum. Or wear a patch or twelve. That's your business. But knowingly blowing poison that kills 480,000 people a year directly and 50,000 a year indirectly and then defending that choice by saying, "I'm only hurting myself, " is the actual first class arrogance here.
"Nicotine isn't toxic"

Um...yes, yes it is. You are just wrong there.

As far as "secondhand smoke killing 50,000 people annually", that's supposition of the first class. The statistics used for those estimates (even if coming from credible, but politically motivated sources, such as the CDC) involve lab tests and analysis, with assumptions made to support the expected outcome (which is why it also doesn't mesh with reality...name one person you know personally or within your immediate community, who has died from second hand smoke, not smoking, but because they walked through a park one day and someone was smoking...you can't, because it pretty much never happens).

When actual medical historical data is compared, using real people in real situations (not smoke filled bays of mice or rats), such as what the University of California did (and note, they chose a demographic to study where not only was smoking prevalant in society, but smoking in the home was also quite common)...and I quote:

"No significant associations were found for current or former exposure to environmental tobacco smoke before or after adjusting for seven confounders and before or after excluding participants with pre-existing disease."

http://www.bmj.com/content/326/7398/1057.full

But, I know you'll continue on, because this is a part of your self-identity.

Smoking smells, it's not healthy, it's nasty, and if grossly abused (like any drug, I'd add), it kills. I'm glad these smoking sections are being relegated to areas where they are more isolated. That said, the practice is not illegal (no matter how much you may wish it was), and, people will do it anyway. So, again, it's better to relegate it to places, rather than have something more akin to what you'll see in Disneyland Paris.

Also, please share your thoughts on vaping with Disney so that policy can be changed, because they treat it the same as smoking, so these people are relegated to these areas as well.

ssidiouss@mac.c

I wish they would make sealed indoor smoking areas. They could add one in each land.. a little themed doorway which matches whatever building in the land its at. They doorway could then leads you through 2 separate sliding glass doorways which would ultimately continue to lead into what is ultimately a big sealed off room with just a bunch of smokers killing themselves without a chance of the smoke escaping into the lungs of regular park visitors outside. They could decorate the inside of these places with smoking disney villain pictures on the walls and sell special disney parks cigars, etc.

Maybe have an extra special one in epcot just for vacation club members where they could charge their phones while they are in there or even offer some upsells like if smokers pay $150 extra they can enter the park an hour early to have early access to the smoking rooms where they can enjoy a cigar and a waffle or cigarette and a pancake before the rest of the crowds hit.

Last edited:

photomatt

More sections removed?!

Great. Looks like I picked a bad time to start smoking...

I know you said "start", but it still made me think of this.

looks-like-i-picked-the-wrong-week-to-quit-smoking.jpg

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Edibles are way more convenient....unless you guys are talking about tobacco again, in which case I'm out of here before it gets ugly. Peace and love, peace and love.

Section106

Maybe not... but, non-smokers do not have a right to tell others what they can and cannot do. Or do rights only work in one direction?

Actually that's not true. Since smoking at Disney is restricted to the smoking sections only I have every right to tell a person smoking outside of that area to stop immediately. Funny how laws work, huh?

Again, there is no constitutional right to smoke tobacco. There just isn't. It has been litigated already and the smokers lost. There is no Right to Privacy or Due Process protections for smoking. It can be regulated and it is being regulated. If Disney tells its guests that smoking is prohibited in all areas save for the smoking areas then it is not okay to smoke outside of those areas. I don't get why that's hard to understand. You're rights aren't being taken away because you have no right to smoke in the first place. That is such a specious argument.

rob0519

It's not bad behavior as you put it, it's a addiction. Bad behavior is the numerous children running around in restaurants while the parents say nothing. It's also the few that get drunk at Epcot and become belligerent to others. That is bad behavior.
According to you, maybe we should ban children? Stop all alcohol sales? Stroller rentals? Because we know how they roll up on people's ankles everyday. Like I said, there are many out of the way places in all the parks to put smoking sections. They just, for some reason, are not putting them there.

Whoa. slow down! Have a cigarette. You obviously need one. According to me we should ban children? I said Disney should enforce their own policies. Not adhering to policy in my example was bad behavior. Heroin use is an addiction too. You want people shooting up in Adventureland? Drunken belligerent fools, not sure of Disney policy, so is over consumption of alcohol an addiction too, which makes it ok according to your stand on smoking?

I never mentioned children, strollers or alcohol. So, addiction or not, smoking in non-designated areas is against policy, or bad behavior. Line jumping is against policy, so again bad behavior. Children running around a restaurant , not against policy, not bad, but definitely annoying behavior to some. It's Disney World , let the kids run around.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Actually that's not true. Since smoking at Disney is restricted to the smoking sections only I have every right to tell a person smoking outside of that area to stop immediately. Funny how laws work, huh?

Again, there is no constitutional right to smoke tobacco. There just isn't. It has been litigated already and the smokers lost. There is no Right to Privacy or Due Process protections for smoking. It can be regulated and it is being regulated. If Disney tells its guests that smoking is prohibited in all areas save for the smoking areas then it is not okay to smoke outside of those areas. I don't get why that's hard to understand. You're rights aren't being taken away because you have no right to smoke in the first place. That is such a specious argument.
It's a policy, not a law. Smoking being banned on certain government buildings, is a law (local statutes, generally), or on airplanes (a federal law). Smoking being banned on private properly are an extension of property rights, but not laws.

You have a right to ask them to stop, but that doesn't mean they are somehow legally obligated to listen to you. However, Disney does have the right to ask them to stop, as a violation of their rules, and to threaten them with penalties up to and including being tresspassed off the property.

But, that still doesn't make it "illegal".

Hell, Disney sells cigs on property!

Last edited:

rob0519

Yes, it is.

A ban would be unenforceable.

And you'd still have a free for all.

It would be enforceable, just not easily. Disney would not want to pay the cost in personnel or the dissatisfaction of the small percentage of customers who still smoke. Smoking is prohibited at most, if not all open air baseball stadiums. So being an outdoor park means little. It can be done. See the underlined text about being asked to leave or ejected.

Arizona Diamondbacks – Chase Field
Chase Field is designated as a non-smoking facility. For those guests wanting to smoke, designated areas outside the facility

Atlanta Braves – Turner Field
Turner Field is primarily a smoke-free facility. Smoking, including e-cigarettes, is permitted in designated areas only. As shown on the ballpark directory and maps, these areas include certain entryways, stairwells and landings. Smoking is prohibited in the seating bowl, concourses, Plaza, restrooms and in all premium seating areas.

Baltimore Orioles – Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Oriole Park at Camden Yards is a smoke-free facility. Smoking is prohibited anywhere inside Oriole Park, including electronic and smokeless cigarettes or any device that mimics the act of smoking.

Boston Red Sox – Fenway Park
Smoking is not allowed in Fenway Park.

Chicago Cubs – Wrigley Field
Smoking is strictly prohibited in Wrigley Field.

Chicago White Sox – U.S. Cellular Field
Pursuant to the Smoke-Free Illinois Act 95-0017, there will be no smoking inside of U.S. Cellular Field. Electric cigarettes, e-cigarettes and vapor cigarettes also are not permitted. The ramps are a part of the building and may not be utilized as a smoking area. A designated smoking area is located on the ground level outside of Gates 2 and 5 (Gate 5 is located on the north side of 35th Street). Smoking is not permitted within 15 feet of any entrance or exit or any air handling units. Guests failing to comply with the policy may be asked to surrender his/her ticket and leave the ballpark.

Cincinnati Reds – Great American Ball Park
Ohio voters passed issue Number 5, on November 7, 2006, which calls for a smoking ban in public facilities and places of employment under Ohio Revised Code Chapter 3794. Thus, Great American Ball Park has been designated as a completely non-smoking facility. Guests are not permitted to smoke inside of Great American Ball Park. Violators may be subject to ejection and potential fines. Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) are also prohibited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom