According to TMZ gator tried to board raft to tom sawyer island

MerlinTheGoat

There is a gap created by round logs under a flat deck they can get in. That is what the gator in the picture is doing.
I meant can the gators actually get inside the area where guests are standing?

Granted guests could reach over the side and try to touch the alligator, but i wouldn't really blame Disney for something like that happening.

alphac2005

I want to throw this one out there to @WDW1974: Budget cuts? We've known for years that the property was methodical in removing gators that were generally 4' and longer. In the news stories that have been circulating over the past day, there's a general theme of cast members noticing the gator problem and clear disregard from management. Your own witnessed incident is yet another glimpse.

Are we potentially seeing a greater number oflarger gators because Disney simply isn't relocating them as they once were? Of course none of us have internal documentation and direct eyes on the budget, but with the track record of stripping costs everywhere over the years, you do wonder if they simply don't do the relocations as they once did.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I meant can the gators actually get inside the area where guests are standing?
I can't see a reason the could not, but most gators wouldn't as they tend to avoid people.

I have been told by several herpetologists that gators when on land judge threat by height. A medium size dog, bird or child fits into the prey category for them. A 5' tall human is in the "get the hell away" category. This of course can change when they start to associate humans with food.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Not quite. There is an actual gator.

View attachment 146493
Yeah but not in this one, the one with actual people.

0616-tom-sawyer-raft-disney-5.jpg

The click-bait is disgusting. Yes, alligators exist in Florida.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I want to throw this one out there to @WDW1974: Budget cuts? We've known for years that the property was methodical in removing gators that were generally 4' and longer. In the news stories that have been circulating over the past day, there's a general theme of cast members noticing the gator problem and clear disregard from management. Your own witnessed incident is yet another glimpse.

Are we potentially seeing a greater number oflarger gators because Disney simply isn't relocating them as they once were? Of course none of us have internal documentation and direct eyes on the budget, but with the track record of stripping costs everywhere over the years, you do wonder if they simply don't do the relocations as they once did.

I thought this too, but then I started reading all these articles...

Seems like it's not actually Disney that "moves" the gators, but the Florida Fish and Wildlife folks. So, I don't think that's it.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Nice job on worming in budget cuts to a tragic situation. Next time go straight to it being Igers personal gator that was the culprit. :facepalm:

ratherbeinwdw

There used to be a three legged gator that stayed in that area. We would stand on the bridge at the bottom of the Splash drop and watch it. It did make me nervous as I had seen the picture of the one in the Pirates bathroom a couple of years earlier, and this was right after they had one in the MK parking lot. We saw the one in the parking lot on the news. Every since then, we've been a little cautious if we park in that lot. I had never heard of them being at AoA. There's really no excuse for not having warning signs. There are too many small children in these areas. Even if several idiots don't pay attention to the signs, many will.

bhg469

Isolate the arrow, blow the image up and you can clearly see this is a shadow, not an alligator.
View attachment 146504
Im 90% sure they are just pointing out the type of boat that the actual alligator pic was on. In the caption it says "log Raft" so in my mind that says the red arrow is pointing to the log raft..

There are pictures of the alligator climbing between the logs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom