According to TMZ gator tried to board raft to tom sawyer island

Gringrinngghost

Well I have to laugh at the TMZ photo because that gator is closer to the size of an iguana, yeah it would be meaner but it wouldn't be able to take down a human just a nasty chunk from someone or maybe a finger if you were dumb enough to try and play with it.

As for the problem getting worse... well given alligator were so rare in the early 1970's that they were on the endangered species list and today the numbers have increased to the point that they are no longer on that list... Well logic would say yes they are more of a problem simply because there are more of them increasing the odds of encountering one at any given place.

It wouldn't be a large enough problem that I would cancel my trip if I had one planned... But I wouldn't let a kid or pet wander unattended anywhere in Florida (gators turn up in people's backyard so even swimming pools in a backyard aren't 100% safe).
Best way to sum it up... It's Florida... you have to assume alligators are everywhere.

BiffyClyro

It's all ridiculous. There have been gators in MK and the world for a very long time. It's common to see baby gators near Tom Sawyer Island/ lake or whatever and this whole thing is getting blown out of proportion. It's a tragic event that happened and unfortunately extra procautions will and should be put in place but the media is just trying to make extra stories/ money/ controversy off of this to sell their cr-p. It's in florida. Florida has gators.

....Anyway, do you think there's any chance river country will ever reopen or?????

The Mom

Premium Member
It's all ridiculous. There have been gators in MK and the world for a very long time. It's common to see baby gators near Tom Sawyer Island/ lake or whatever and this whole thing is getting blown out of proportion. It's a tragic event that happened and unfortunately extra procautions will and should be put in place but the media is just trying to make extra stories/ money/ controversy off of this to sell their cr-p. It's in florida. Florida has gators.

....Anyway, do you think there's any chance river country will ever reopen or?????

No.

EngineJoe

The only way to really eliminate the gators is to build indoor waterparks and raze the gf and Polynesian, and fill up that lake and make that land a 5th park.

Even then the gators will still be able to get in the parks but at least indoor waterparks should keep the gators away from the swimmers.

BiffyClyro

The only way to really eliminate the gators is to build indoor waterparks and raze the gf and Polynesian, and fill up that lake and make that land a 5th park.

Even then the gators will still be able to get in the parks but at least indoor waterparks should keep the gators away from the swimmers.
I was joking but yeah.. Everyone needs to relax. Media just trying to make dollar.

Mickey1984

so I was walking to the pool other other day in POFQ and you'll never guess what I saw.......

Alligators.jpg

Play instruments as well, they're getting good these gators!!

Down with that sort of thing!!

rwdavis2

Well, sort of....

It's gotten worse because....

1. Gators are a protected species.

"Historically, hunting had decimated their population, and the American alligator was listed as an endangered species by the Endangered Species Act of 1973. Subsequent conservation efforts have allowed their numbers to increase and the species was removed from the list in 1987."

Nemo14

"Historically, hunting had decimated their population, and the American alligator was listed as an endangered species by the Endangered Species Act of 1973. Subsequent conservation efforts have allowed their numbers to increase and the species was removed from the list in 1987."
No longer on the Endangered list, but are still designated as Protected. According to the FWC,
The American alligator is Federally protected by the Endangered Species Act as a Threatened species, due to their similarity of appearance to the American crocodile, and as a Federally-designated Threatened species by Florida’s Endangered and Threatened Species Rule
icon_external.png

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

I didn't say it was endangered. I said it was protected.

"However, the American alligator is listed as threatened on the U.S. Endangered Species List because it is very similar in appearance to the American crocodile, which is endangered, and hunters are likely to confuse the two species. Hunting is allowed in some states, but it is heavily controlled."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom