Accident on Pirates

BigTxEars

Come on, now Tom. That picture only states you're not allowed to have your hands up in the air in a waving manner. It says nothing about having your hands down low! In fact, I'm pretty sure it's telling me that since they are not to be up above my head, they MUST be placed as low as possible! Heck, there isn't even any water in the picture, so I wouldn't even know where to put my hands if there's water near me! But I do know that Florida is hot, and water is cool and refreshing, so I assume the water is there for me to play with as I see fit. I always thought Pirates was my own personal pool, honestly.

As long as you don't go swimming in your personal pool in the buff, I don't wanna see your booty when I am cursing thru the ride :)

Communicore

Come on, now Tom. That picture only states you're not allowed to have your hands up in the air in a waving manner. It says nothing about having your hands down low! In fact, I'm pretty sure it's telling me that since they are not to be up above my head, they MUST be placed as low as possible! Heck, there isn't even any water in the picture, so I wouldn't even know where to put my hands if there's water near me! But I do know that Florida is hot, and water is cool and refreshing, so I assume the water is there for me to play with as I see fit. I always thought Pirates was my own personal pool, honestly.
Ive always thought that sign meant "No dancing unless you are Disco Yeti."

flynnibus

Premium Member
Let's not forget... Losing a fingertip doesn't necessarily mean losing a full phalange or your finger to a knuckle. Even ripping off the flesh ends could be described as losing your finger tip.

Since it was only two tips and it is described as he was holding onto the side of the boat... I'm more inclined to think this is more like a 'tip lost' and not a loss to your knuckle.

Either way... No fun at all. But I don't think we need to be worried about fingers floating around in the water :)

Goofyernmost

You know if everyone keeps thinking that they can do something foolish, ignore warnings and just do what they want, before long, PoTC will consist of loading into a boat and having a CM tell you what you would have seen if there weren't safety issues on the ride. Then they would unload and the next group would board the boat. Greed is taking the fun out of everything.
I should state that in this case, there has yet to be any legal action taken. Doesn't mean that there won't be though. :in pain:

RSoxNo1

It clearly says, "No Interpretive Dance"

DisneyGentleman

I can see the "new" safety something going up preventing you from putting your hand in the water very soon.
Taser equipped seats? That may be the only way to ensure compliance.

I feel sorry for the fellow - with constant safety warnings we become desensitized and are tempted to think "it's Disney - what can go wrong?" In the world of safety compliance it is a well-documented fact that too many warnings are as good as none. But the incessant warnings protect companies legally. After all, who reads the two pages of warning messages on almost anything you buy these days?

Expect the return of the talking skull and crossbones, telling you once again to keep your hands and arms inside the boat.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
They have one.

Common sense.

index.jpg

AndyMagic

Accidents happen but judging by past accidents that were caused by a guest failing to follow posted guidelines, I'm sure there will be some sort of internal panic within the legal department and wild speculation about how to make the boats "safer" by using some sort of modification to a standard set of handcuffs.

BigTxEars

I know we live in a crazed legal time where personal responsibility seems to start and end at birth but I really can not see this thing having legal legs as far as liability for Disney. Millions of people safetly ride pirates each year and along comes Curious George having to stick his fingers where they clearly do not belong and he somehow loses a finger when the millions of other don't, sounds like a non issues legally to me.

cw1982

I know we live in a crazed legal time where personal responsibility seems to start and end at birth but I really can not see this thing having legal legs as far as liability for Disney. Millions of people safetly ride pirates each year and along comes Curious George having to stick his fingers where they clearly do not belong and he somehow loses a finger when the millions of other don't, sounds like a non issues legally to me.

The right money hungry lawyer will find a way to make it a legal issue. Some of them are very good at that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom