Accident at WDW kills CM

andre85

To clarify further (to prevent any more fanatical comments), when I heard the news of a cast member dying, my stomach dropped. It’s not pleasant to hear about the death of anyone, let alone at a location I hold close emotional bonds to, and I extend my deepest sympathies to the cast member’s family. However, it occurred to me that I should not have heard about this death through the media sources I obtain the rest of my news, and that is what I take issue with (as elaborated upon in my prior avowal’s). Hopefully this clarification will provide further incite into my unjustly classified "insensitive" statements.

andre85

Originally posted by Kingdom Konsultant
get me started on how people should greive the death of a Firefighter over the death of anyone because they are more VITAL!!??? PLEASE! Everyone on here grieved through 9/11 together, and we all grieved when the Columbia crashed. Just like any National tragedy in America, we will all grieve. Walt Disney World is an American Icon..... why wouldn't the news put something about a death on it????

You really need to get off your high horse and get over yourself and your self rightous BS! How dare you offend my friends. And yes, your posts have offended MANY of us!!

If you think the deaths referenced via the media are the only ones worthy of the attention, you're sadly mistaken.

It's a shame you take issue with my "self righteous BS" as it stems from merely a discrepancy of opinion. Just because I'm in the minority (though I don't think I would be if anyone truly understood my position), doesn't mean my opinion is invalidated.

DisneyJukebox

Account Suspended
FWIW, I didn't hear or read about this in any "normal" news media sources. I heard about it from these message boards.

I think that is an appropriate place to learn about it.

Only after I heard about it here did I do a Google search to see if any news source had it. Even then only local papers seemed to have it.

I don't know what you mean by it being a huge story. It required work to find out about it.

andre85

Originally posted by DisneyJukebox
I don't know what you mean by it being a huge story. It required work to find out about it.

I've seen it at various news outlets, including Fark.com (visited by millions).

Anyways, your post is further proof you as well do not understand me. I have no problem with people finding about the death through this message board, or elsewhere. The most displeasure I expressed was with the sole author I quoted originally. Don't think for a second I'm devaluing the death of this individual, because I'm not.

I truly believe if any of you (who all seem to possess hearts) knew the point I’m trying to convey, you’d realize that I’m not that far off the mark. Anyways, there’s no point in continuing this conversation here, so if anyone has anything else to say, feel free to PM me.

DisneyJukebox

Account Suspended
But what does it matter to you if someone is affected more by this person's death. Or if some people feel as strongly about a CM's death as a Shuttle Astronaut?

You have to learn to cut people some slack when they are expressing their emotions. Whether you feel they are overreacting or not, it doesn't effect your paycheck or your health does it?

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Originally posted by andre85
If you think the deaths referenced via the media are the only ones worthy of the attention, you're sadly mistaken.

It's a shame you take issue with my "self righteous BS" as it stems from merely a discrepancy of opinion. Just because I'm in the minority (though I don't think I would be if anyone truly understood my position), doesn't mean my opinion is invalidated.

Quote: The MOM
"Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Once again, my condolences to the CM's and family of Javier.

Slipknot

andre... I do understand where you are coming from. But all I'm gonna say to you, my friend, is this: You really shouldn't have started something like this. You should have just kept your mouth shut. There was no need for your opinions at this time or anytime for that matter. If you can't send your condolences or prayers to this mans family, immediate and Disney, then I see no reason to even post on this thread!!!!! Now, please don't try and argue or say I dont understand you, because you just won't get a response about how stupid it was for you to do this here, of all places.

Anyway. My prayers (something I don't normally do), and condolences to everyone involved.

The Mom

Premium Member
I think I understand Andre's feeling. Why is one person's death considered more "important/newsworthy" than another?

It's human nature that some deaths seem to affect larger numbers of people than others; however, that does not (IMHO) diminish the importance of the demise of unknown or lesser known people.

Expressions of collective mourning are good for the soul. (IMO) It doesn't matter if it is limited to a single person, or a large group of family & friends, or even a whole community. This death becomes noteworthy here because so many of us on this forum "knew" Javier at many different levels. Most of us only got a wave while he passed by; some of us were fortunate enough to know him on a deeper level. The same can be said of the world at large.

Trust me, the excerpts I quoted in my original post were chosen very carefully; ANY person's death affects me. Some just seem to touch me more than others.

figmentmom

I'm so terribly sorry to hear about this tragic accident...my sincere condolences go to Javier's family, and all who knew him. :(

The world is diminished by a death, and the pain and sorrow that those left behind feel should be respected.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

I'm not trying to take away from the tragic death of a castmember, but it frankly disgusts me that its receiving far more attention than people who put their on the line every time they leave for work. Those are the true heroes.

I think you need to remember that this is a WDW website, therefore any incident is going to get a lot of attention and coverage here. Just as I am sure that on any other specific topic sites, accidents in their fields would get large coverage. I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it is fair to question people here on that matter.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Originally posted by wdwmagic
I think you need to remember that this is a WDW website, therefore any incident is going to get a lot of attention and coverage here. Just as I am sure that on any other specific topic sites, accidents in their fields would get large coverage. I don't think it is fair to question people here on that matter.

thank you Steve.

imagineer boy

Originally posted by wdwmagic
I think you need to remember that this is a WDW website, therefore any incident is going to get a lot of attention and coverage here. Just as I am sure that on any other specific topic sites, accidents in their fields would get large coverage. I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it is fair to question people here on that matter.

:sohappy: :sohappy: Go Steve! :sohappy: :sohappy:

andre, I understand your opinion, but you'd better watch your self in the future or the THA will be watching you more closely.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Originally posted by imagineer boy
but you'd better watch your self in the future or the THA will be watching you more closely.

:rolleyes:

no baseless threats...

Atta83

I learned today that fellow castmembers walked behind the last float inthe Share a Dream Come True Parade to honor our fallen castmember. A great tribute to a great man who now leaves a legacy for all to go on.He shared a dream with everyone he touched and that will be rememberd............We will miss you Javier....

Atta

gjpjtj

I'd argue that the astronauts on Columbia were not helping society any more than a programmer at Microsoft (in fact, I could argue that they were performing the opposite), and to think the same of a cast member at Disney World is to be an elitist. I don't understand why this death should receive any more attention than anyone else who dies while performing a duty in analogous with their occupation of choice. Hundreds of truckers, loggers, etc die every year, yet do we hear anything about them? Nope, because as far as the media is concerned, they're not important enough to warrant 10 seconds of their valuable advertising time to.

Not cool, at all........:mad:

This accident has really bothered me. I don't personally know any Cast Members, but have always appreciated everything they do to make my vacation wonderful. To think we have lost someone, who was just trying to make us all smile, is really sad.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all of Javier's friends and family, and to all the Cast Members who make our visits magical.

Next time you are at Walt Disney World, take the time to thank the Cast Members for all they do. I will...

BwanaBob

It's all very surreal.

Having been in the park the same time it all happened is very unsettling for me...now anyways.

Seeing all the helicopters flying above...

...and thinking the whole time that they were above for the fiasco at the Contemp.

nzmomof2

I was at the parade yesterday afternoon when this tragedy happened. We had seen the parade two days previously, and my 3 year old wanted to see Cinderella "one last time" before heading to the airport to come home. Needless to say, Cinderella never arrived. I thought it strange at the time, found out about the tragedy from the limo driver who picked us up after our flight home. Can't stop thinking about it - what a sad, sad accident. Such a magical place, and accidents can still happen. Prayers go out to the CM, family and friends. It was our first trip there, and i just wanted to add that you all do such a fantastic job - my 3 and 4 year olds were enthralled and entranced by all the characters - thank you, God Bless You All.

xfkirsten

Well, I finally saw the article that had his photo, and now I definitely recognize him. I just didn't know him by name. In fact, he was one of the nicest CMs I met in Entertainment. I was sitting eating lunch once, all by myself in the Mousketeria, and he actually went out of his way to invite me to come sit with him and a couple of other CMs who had come in for parade. Someone I'd never met before, and he did that. It really meant a lot to me that he cared that much, and I have never forgotten that. It just makes this a lot harder.

-Kirsten

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom