? about carry on luggage and check in

rigama

My airline participates in Resort check in, so that once we get off the magic express, we don't have to deal withour luggage. Does that apply to our carry on stuff too? I know we'll be checking in a couple of bags at our home airport and that we don't have to worry about them till they appear in our room, but can we leave our carry on with the driver of the bus, or the clerk when we check in? If we can avoid going to our room right away, that'd be good.

Thanks!

luv2ash

Usually people bring a carry on bag to protect themselves from the ME. Most of the time your luggage will not arrive until a bit later; therefore, it is sometimes necessary to have a carry on bag with some shorts, t-shirt, bathing suit, underduds (just in case), etc. We did this, and it was necessary. Our luggage returned after we checked in, and the first thing we wanted to do was get out of our Northern clothing adn put on some shorts.

So, if you have no need for anything in your carryon baggage, then check it with all your luggage before you get on the plane, and be done with it. Otherwise, you will be responsible for your carryon luggage at all times.

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

We used DME in November; after checking in at our resort (CBR), the CM asked if we would like to leave our carry-on with them, and they would take it to our room when the rest of our luggage arrived on the DME bus.

Upvote 0

luv2ash

Good idea Tiggerfanatic! Our room was already ready, so we just went straight to the room and did not have to worry about them once we arrived at the hotel.

Upvote 0

rigama

Original Poster
Our plan is to have one extra set of clothes for each of us in our carry on bag. I guess I was wondering if they can take our bags to our room once we either A)board DME or B)Check into the resort(also CBR, by the way). I don't know if we'll want to go to our room or not, but it'd be nice to have the option of going directly into Epcot or something.

Upvote 0

Kristia

We used Magical Express last year and had carry on bags. After we checked in at the resort (POR) we left our bags with luggage services. It was very early in the day and our rooms were not ready yet. I believe we picked them up later in the evening. Also if you check out of your resort and have carry on bags, you can leave them with luggage services until you are ready to board ME later in the day. This is great if you have a late flight, but check out time is noon. You still have time to go to the parks before leaving.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

My airline participates in Resort check in, so that once we get off the magic express, we don't have to deal withour luggage. Does that apply to our carry on stuff too? I know we'll be checking in a couple of bags at our home airport and that we don't have to worry about them till they appear in our room, but can we leave our carry on with the driver of the bus, or the clerk when we check in? If we can avoid going to our room right away, that'd be good.

Thanks!
You're actually confusing 2 different services.

Resort Airline Check-in (RAC) is a service available at the END of your trip, when you're heading from your WDW resort back to the airport. Only people flying a "participating airline" can use RAC, which entails checking in your luggage at your resort and not seeing it again until it's on your home airport's baggage claim carousel, plus actually checking in for your flight and geting your boarding passes.

But when you arrive at MCO at the BEGINNING of your trip, EVERYONE ON EVERY AIRLINE gets the free luggage delivery to the inside of the resort room (allowing people to totally skip baggage claim).

So just to clarify again, when you arrive in Orlando, AIRLINE DOESN'T MATTER. Everyone who has DME reservations can get the automatic luggage delivery, regardless of airline. It's only on the way back home that airline matters for luggage handling.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Thanks!
Sorry, I guess I missed your question!:veryconfu

You have to handle your own carry-on bags until you get to your resort. The way the DME luggage handling works is you will receive special luggage tags for your checked bags. When checked luggage is off-loaded from airplanes, ALL luggage with those special tags (regardless of what airline's plane it was just on) gets pulled behind-the-scenes, and is sorted and loaded on trucks to go to the resorts. Since this is all done behind the scenes, there's no way for your carry-ons to join the mix.

You can bring your carry-on into the bus with you if it will fit on the overhead shelf or under your own seat. If it's too big or if you just don't want to deal with it, the DME driver will stow it under the bus, and you'll get it back as soon as you arrive at your resort. If you do this, a tip for the driver would be appropriate.

As others have said, when you get to your resort, if your room isn't ready you can have Bell Services store your carry-ons for you so you can go out and play.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

rigama

Original Poster
Thank you, Eric, for taking the time to explain the difference to me! As a first-timer, it's hard to get a handle on sheer amount of information that needs to be processed and sifted through! I totally understand now.

Upvote 0

H20Babie

Also be aware that luggage services closes at night, usually 10:00pm (I know this is true at Pop, FQ and POR).

Shoppingnut: Just to clarify, do you mean that Luggage Services will not deliver DME checked luggage or that they will not stow carry-ons after 10 pm? :veryconfu

We land in Orlando at 9 pm, so does DME still deliver our luggage that night, or the next day?

Thanks?

Upvote 0

monorailguy01

I always carry on my bag, I never check anything. You can put the bag on DME when the bus gets to your hotel you can take your bags and bring them to the check in desk. If your room is not ready the hotel will hold your bags and put them in your room when it is done... So If you were wondering what happens well here ya go I hope I helped

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Also be aware that luggage services closes at night, usually 10:00pm (I know this is true at Pop, FQ and POR).
This is simply incorrect, at least as far as POFQ is concerned. Perhaps it's true at Pop, where there is Luggage Assistance that runs on a schedule, rather than Bell Services, which is an on-demand service. I've never heard of a Bell Services department that closes for the night. Again, Luggage Assistance at the Value resorts may close every night, but Bell Services at the Moderates and Deluxes does not close.

At POFQ in November, we checked in at around 11:00 p.m. At exactly 1:16 a.m. (the time is seared onto my brain:hammer: ), our phone rang. It was Bell Services, asking us if we wanted our DME luggage delivered at that time, or if we wanted to wait 'til morning.

I totally forgot to follow through with my plan to ask Bell Services to hold the bags until morning. And by the way, there were Bell Services CMs hanging around outside in the porte cochere when our DME bus pulled up at 11:00 p.m.

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Shoppingnut: Just to clarify, do you mean that Luggage Services will not deliver DME checked luggage or that they will not stow carry-ons after 10 pm? :veryconfu

We land in Orlando at 9 pm, so does DME still deliver our luggage that night, or the next day?

Thanks?
We have arrived late at night twice and to avoid any problems with getting our luggage late at night we arranged DME, and did not put the tags on our bags so we picked them up at the airport ourselves and brought them to the rooms ourselves, that worked out fine, because you don't want to be awakened late at night to just get you bags. Also at that time the airport is not very busy at all so the wait for the bus is very calm and short.

Upvote 0

H20Babie

Thanks. Does the airport have luggage services? The reason I'm asking is that is it just me and my DS, age 5. We'll have two suitcases and two carry ons. Obviously, it will be me and the 4 bags. If I can take our luggage with us, that would be the solution. I'll just need help with them :veryconfu

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Thanks. Does the airport have luggage services? The reason I'm asking is that is it just me and my DS, age 5. We'll have two suitcases and two carry ons. Obviously, it will be me and the 4 bags. If I can take our luggage with us, that would be the solution. I'll just need help with them :veryconfu
DME seems tailor-made for you. For free, Disney will deliver your checked bags to the inside of your resort room (or hold them 'til morning for you). Convenient AND free. It sounds perfect for you.

You should have the necessities for the night and next morning in your carry-ons, anyway, just in case the airline delays your luggage (whether you use DME or not). Thus, having your luggage held 'til morning shouldn't present a problem for you.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

This is simply incorrect, at least as far as POFQ is concerned. Perhaps it's true at Pop, where there is Luggage Assistance that runs on a schedule, rather than Bell Services, which is an on-demand service. I've never heard of a Bell Services department that closes for the night. Again, Luggage Assistance at the Value resorts may close every night, but Bell Services at the Moderates and Deluxes does not close.

At POFQ in November, we checked in at around 11:00 p.m. At exactly 1:16 a.m. (the time is seared onto my brain:hammer: ), our phone rang. It was Bell Services, asking us if we wanted our DME luggage delivered at that time, or if we wanted to wait 'til morning.

I totally forgot to follow through with my plan to ask Bell Services to hold the bags until morning. And by the way, there were Bell Services CMs hanging around outside in the porte cochere when our DME bus pulled up at 11:00 p.m.

I am talking about if you come to the hotel and have your carry on bags held for you in the storage area, that is what I referring to, the luggage services will continue to deliver luggage, but the storage area in those resorts does close.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom