Abc Logo gone from ABC Theater!!!!!

dylan0511

I dont know about AI, but HSM? They already got some kind of annoying show that runs every hour, it almost made me hate going into mgm knowing I would have to endure all that mess again. And every hour.

Yes, but look at the crowds around the show. People love it. Most of the people on this board don't, but to be honest Disney doesnt give a crap about the people on this board (and they shouldn't). They care about the masses and the masses like that kind of stuff.

Why? Because the point of running a business is appeal to the masses, HSM or AI would do just that. VERY smart move in my opinion.

And what would become of the theater once HSM looses its pep, and American Idol its popularity? It would eventually end up like Millionair and Doug, and the building would once again become empty.

Personally, I'd like to see a ride built in its place, or atleast something not game show related, IMO.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
ABC logo was there today....My vote for that space is an updated Superstar Television. Don't know why they got rid of it in the first place. It was always a great show and different every time since there was a new cast of volunteers each time. It was always full when I went making it a huge people eater. It also worked well with the "studio" aspect of the park. Bring it back.

JLW11Hi

The ABC theater is a good spot for limited-run shows. Even if the show they choose to fill it with looses ppoularity, it will be sucessful during the time it is popular.

Millionaire lost its appeal, but it was a great attraction, especially during the height of the show's popularity.

There are places for the permanent stuff (Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror) and places for the short-lived stuff (Narnia, and whatever they choose to replace it with). With a theme of a Hollywood Movie Studio, it goes without saying that things will come and go a lot more often than, say, attractions at the more timeless Magic Kingdom.

MuRkErY

Yes, but look at the crowds around the show. People love it. Most of the people on this board don't, but to be honest Disney doesnt give a crap about the people on this board (and they shouldn't). They care about the masses and the masses like that kind of stuff.

You are EVERYTHING that is wrong with Disney, that kind of attitude is terrible, what the hell. I can imagine what would happen if you ever uttered words along those lines to somebody like Walt Disney or John Lasseter, you would be out the door straight away.

Was Walt giving the masses what they wanted when he made Snow White….. A feature length “CARTOON” what an idiot, it will never work. Was Walt giving the masses what they wanted when he made Disneyland…. An amusement park, based on cartoon characters, who the hell is going to want too see that, it’ll never work. Was Disney giving the masses what they wanted when they made EPCOT Centre.

Disney’s history is based around innovation, not in giving the masses what they want but in showing the masses what they didn’t know they ever needed, in the new and exiting, the magical and innovative, the inspiring and emotional.

Not giving a crap about your loyal fan-base is certainly one way to start down the track to the soulless crap that the WDC sometimes turns out these days.

People like it so lets just do that, again, and again, and again, and again. This is about as far removed from the spirit of Walt Disney as it’s possible to get, I pray that you never get anywhere near working for the Disney Company.

Imagination anybody??? Or are we all out of that now a days.

Skyway

" Not giving a crap about your loyal fan-base is certainly one way to start down the track to the soulless crap that the WDC sometimes turns out these days. "

Ummmm, I think by catering to the HSM, Hannah Montana, and Disney Channel crowd, Disney DOES give a crap about its loyal fan-base.

Go to any shopping mall in America (heck, make it the WORLD). I'll set up a booth selling tickets to a "High School Musical" show. You sell tickets to the "Carousel of Progress". Then sit back and watch as Disney's "loyal fan base" makes themselves known.

dylan0511

" Not giving a crap about your loyal fan-base is certainly one way to start down the track to the soulless crap that the WDC sometimes turns out these days. "

Ummmm, I think by catering to the HSM, Hannah Montana, and Disney Channel crowd, Disney DOES give a crap about its loyal fan-base.

Go to any shopping mall in America (heck, make it the WORLD). I'll set up a booth selling tickets to a "High School Musical" show. You sell tickets to the "Carousel of Progress". Then sit back and watch as Disney's "loyal fan base" makes themselves known.

My Point exactly...

If it was up to the people on this board, you would have shows like Food Rocks and rides like world of motion, etc... and then you could watch Epcot close because that it not what people want nowadays. Times have changed since Walt's days, that's just the way it is. I'm not saying I agree with it, but if you want business, than you have to appeal to the masses. If you were running a business and thought you were putting out this great creative stuff, but no one liked it, you would not do it anymore. You would then re-tool and do things that people like. You wouldn't appeal to some so called "experts" on a internet message board. That is not how a business is run.

sittle

... you really know how to work the crowd!! HA!!
I can agree with your point.... People (the masses) don't know what they like, let's face it we are all sheep (Business Rule #1 The customer doesn't know what they want until you tell them what they want and why they want it)... think about how many fads you've given-in to over your lifetime...

While American Idol and High School Musical are hot right now, they are reaching the saturation point... I think the smart business move would be to bring in something fresh... or a hip spin on an old classic...

dylan0511

... you really know how to work the crowd!! HA!!
I can agree with your point.... People (the masses) don't know what they like, let's face it we are all sheep (Business Rule #1 The customer doesn't know what they want until you tell them what they want and why they want it)... think about how many fads you've given-in to over your lifetime...

While American Idol and High School Musical are hot right now, they are reaching the saturation point... I think the smart business move would be to bring in something fresh... or a hip spin on an old classic...

In that type of a theater, you can always re-do a show with ease. If AI or HSM lose popularity in a few years, then change it up again. It doesnt hurt to have a revolving show that changes every 2 or 3 years. I'm not saying keep it there forever, but you need to capitalize on something while it's hot. And I didn't mean to sound rude by my above comment, but honestly, there are plenty of people on this board who, in my opinion, had the chance to run Disney, would run it into the ground. I'm not saying I could do any better, because I couldn't. But some of the ideas I here about the so called "classics" boggle my mind. This is not 1982 anymore. Times have changed, people have changed. Kids are no longer amazed by singing food or a Carousel that goes through time. You have to adapt and change with them.

jmuboy

Although I doubt it will happen, I could not agree more. To me, SuperStar Televsion and the Great Movie Ride were always the two attractions that felt like they got the tone, the fun, and the informational parts of a movie-themed park in just the right balance.

Imagine what they could do today...scenes from Desperate Housewives,and Lost for the adults, Hannah Montana and the Suite Life of Zack and Cody for the kids, resuse the Today show and David Letterman pieces, perhaps a SportCenter highlight reel to replace the Howard Cosell interview. So much potential...

SUPERSTAR TELEVISION was a GREAT show and still a viable concept. Could work in the Hollywood section at DCA too. ABC and Disney have so many hot TV properties - ESPN Sports Center, Good Morning America, LOST, All My Children, Hannah Montanna.....and many more. All would make great scenes in a revised version of Superstar TV.

And a side note / question. Is the ABC logo also gone from the art deco Tower on the Chinese Theater side of the building or just the marquee out front. If not, they just might be changing the marquee for the show but keeping the facility as the ABC Theater.

The MaD Hatter

I'm really surprised that Disney hasn't added a Hannah Montana show to DHS yet. Not that I would ever want to see such a thing, but this is one of Disney's hottest properties right now. I'm sure it would be a huge draw for families with tween girls, just like Playhouse Disney is a huge draw for families with preschoolers.

In that type of a theater, you can always re-do a show with ease. If AI or HSM lose popularity in a few years, then change it up again. It doesnt hurt to have a revolving show that changes every 2 or 3 years. I'm not saying keep it there forever, but you need to capitalize on something while it's hot. And I didn't mean to sound rude by my above comment, but honestly, there are plenty of people on this board who, in my opinion, had the chance to run Disney, would run it into the ground. I'm not saying I could do any better, because I couldn't. But some of the ideas I here about the so called "classics" boggle my mind. This is not 1982 anymore. Times have changed, people have changed. Kids are no longer amazed by singing food or a Carousel that goes through time. You have to adapt and change with them.

you keep talking about "smart business" but is it really that smart to change something every 2 years? That is just a waste of money. Disney needs to put something there that will last a while. That way they can get the most out of their money. Reverting back to a classic would be a good move because everyone knows of them (that is why they are called classics). Or even an updated version of Superstar Television with scenes from new shows that will still be popular down the road. Jumping on the bandwagon of HSM or AI even Stitch will only force Disney to spend more money next year to change it around again which will probably lead us back to this argument again. Disney needs to think long-term. That is what a good business would do.

dylan0511

you keep talking about "smart business" but is it really that smart to change something every 2 years? That is just a waste of money. Disney needs to put something there that will last a while. That way they can get the most out of their money. Reverting back to a classic would be a good move because everyone knows of them (that is why they are called classics). Or even an updated version of Superstar Television with scenes from new shows that will still be popular down the road. Jumping on the bandwagon of HSM or AI even Stitch will only force Disney to spend more money next year to change it around again which will probably lead us back to this argument again. Disney needs to think long-term. That is what a good business would do.

Who knows what is going to be popular down the road? No one can predict the future. AI has been around for how many years now? And it is still going strong. I understand it won't last forever, but who knows what will??

Who knows what is going to be popular down the road? No one can predict the future. AI has been around for how many years now? And it is still going strong. I understand it won't last forever, but who knows what will??

I understand that. And that is a very good point. Only I do not think that throwing money at something is the way to fix it. Disney needs another "visionary" (like walt) to come up with something great. Something to just hold them over is not what needs to go there.

dylan0511

I understand that. And that is a very good point. Only I do not think that throwing money at something is the way to fix it. Disney needs another "visionary" (like walt) to come up with something great. Something to just hold them over is not what needs to go there.

Agreed. Believe me, I don't want a revolving show either. But until WDW gets that "visionary", it might be the best way to go in the short term.

EPCOT_1138

I just hope that there will not be an HSM or Hannah Montana show at the ABC Theater... please nothing Disney Channel related. Disney Channel is a disgrace to the whole Disney company. It is a cheesy over-advertised network that has nothing to do with anything Disney. Since when were these stupid children's "sitcoms" and cartoons a part of Disney? They should change the name of the network to something like "Happy-Go-Lucky Channel" or some other stupid name to go along with the programming. :lookaroun

Spyne

Interesting to see the ABC logo removed. I'm really intrigued on exactly what is going on in the ABC Theater and what show will go in there. I personally hope it ISN'T some kind of singing talent (ala American Idol) show. The idea just doesn't mesh well with me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom